Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Firman 2000/1600W Recoil Start Portable Inverter Generato $299.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2023 11:16 am
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2010
1917 posts
842 upvotes
Surrey
gshrfd wrote: Is it better to get two 1600W or one 3300W?
Not positive but the 3300w should be able to run a microwave and a heater
May 31, 2010
72 posts
40 upvotes
SquadG wrote: I did the following:
- intalled 30a 120v outlet outside
- ran 8awg in a conduit to the inside next to the current electrical panel
- installed a new panel with 4 twins breakers (8 circuits)
- ran wires to where i need them to be and used red outlet with red cover

When there's an outage, turn on generator, plug it in the outlet, turn on breakers, pull fridge, disconnect from white outlet and connect in red outlet.

This is legal and safe

Edit: added 2 pictures, I don't have a picture of the completed setup, this was when it was in progress but you get the idea
Thanks! Just wonder why you didn't connect the new panel to the existing panel so you don't have to wire those red outlets and pull fridge out every time?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2017
1165 posts
1303 upvotes
Nanaimo
After reading the low reviews, i'm out. Seems you are buying a hassle along with this product. Best of luck to those who buy.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
3158 posts
3525 upvotes
Montreal
RX wrote: Thanks! Just wonder why you didn't connect the new panel to the existing panel so you don't have to wire those red outlets and pull fridge out every time?
Because you need a transfer switch and this generator provides only 120v, not 240v. It's too dangerous to energize half the main panel because if you turn on a 240v appliance (ex: oven), it may break..
<no self promotion>
Jan 20, 2013
584 posts
147 upvotes
Woodbridge
I got the same in October. The main purpose was to run computers/servers since my older regular (non-inverter) was driving UPSes crazy. Tested with ~1500W heater running like 20 min test - no problem. Was able to run the gas furnace - no problem (pick power was around 700w). Fridge and freezer - no questions. Those motors take a power spike during starting, then low power.
In my case, I have a power failure very rare, I got it just in case. For those who have older power lines and any freezing rain or storm turns power down for a long time - definitely needs a more powerful generator. For rare cases and for that price - it is sort of a must-have. I agree, it is slightly noisier than Yamaha/Honda. But the noise level is pretty acceptable. Plus, if you play with some cardboard boxes or plywood, you may reduce it significantly

PS. For those like me, who got it for $399. I called Costco and asked about the adjustment. First, he told me that it is over 30 days. But then, when I told him that I would have to return $399 and order $299 - does it make sense? he put me on hold and in two min - great news, blah-blah-blah. $100 plus hst will be refunded to my credit card
Jan 20, 2013
584 posts
147 upvotes
Woodbridge
jaksdj22 wrote: Thx op. Ordered two to charge my Tesla
on the road? while driving? :-)
Why not from the hydro line?
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2660 posts
1269 upvotes
would this be better than buying propane in the long run if you go camping? If you use this to run a kettle or a cook top. Probably safer.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2006
1229 posts
616 upvotes
Montreal
vnkvnk wrote: Fridge and freezer - no questions.
I'm non-native speaker; does that mean a yes or a no?
Jan 20, 2013
584 posts
147 upvotes
Woodbridge
Xcessiv wrote: I'm non-native speaker; does that mean a yes or a no?
Yes, it can run freezer and fridge together. Freezer takes like 100~120 running watts. Fridge around 600w.
Any motor, in the freezer, fridge, furnace takes bigger current to start. Then running power is whatever it is rated. Do not plug all device/appliances in one shot. One by one. When it is getting the temperature inside it turns off. Then it is extremely low chance that it will kicks on simultaneously. So, you do not have to worry. In the past I tested fridge and freezer running together off 1500/1200w generator. No problems at all. Well, you need to have long cables or know how to connect properly, or to use killer cable ( that’s what I have, but you MUST know what are you doing).
I have it in case of emergency, not for often use.
Jan 20, 2013
584 posts
147 upvotes
Woodbridge
Xcessiv wrote: I'm non-native speaker; does that mean a yes or a no?
Yes, it can run freezer and fridge together. Freezer takes like 100~120 running watts. Fridge around 600w.
Any motor, in the freezer, fridge, furnace takes bigger current to start. Then running power is whatever it is rated. Do not plug all device/appliances in one shot. One by one. When it is getting the temperature inside it turns off. Then it is extremely low chance that it will kicks on simultaneously. So, you do not have to worry. In the past I tested fridge and freezer running together off 1500/1200w generator. No problems at all. Well, you need to have long cables or know how to connect properly, or to use killer cable ( that’s what I have, but you MUST know what are you doing).
I have it in case of emergency, not for often use.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
4713 posts
6306 upvotes
Prince George
xpressmerchant wrote: would this be better than buying propane in the long run if you go camping? If you use this to run a kettle or a cook top. Probably safer.
I would say definitely not a better replacement just for cooking. It's big, heavy, noisy, messy (gas cans etc.) compared to a camp stove. I don't think having gasoline around is particularly safe. Typically when used for "camping" this sort of generator would be used with an RV / tent trailer to charge the batteries which are needed to run the furnace, lights and such. Even then, normally you burn stuff for cooking.

(I have a very similar one, a Champion from way back when Costco first started carrying them. I would never take it car camping unless I had a specific need for it.)
Dec 24, 2011
749 posts
1607 upvotes
East, Canada
Great deal. I got this to power the fridge/freezer in the next power cut. It should also be able to power an electric kettle for making tea and coffee. My Ryobi battery inverter will power the chest freezer. To cook, I'll use the propane barbecue. Sorted! =)
Amex Platinum, Amex Cobalt, Amex Bonvoy and Amex Bonvoy Business card holder
British Airways American Express (UK)
Dec 16, 2017
292 posts
859 upvotes
ottawa
silverdare wrote: After reading the low reviews, i'm out. Seems you are buying a hassle along with this product. Best of luck to those who buy.
a wise man. For some things a sale should not be the primary consideration. I'd argue a generator is one such item.

I think this gas gen makes sense if you need it for convenience and non-emergency reasons (like a job site or something). But if you're buying it for emergency situations (ie. power outage), I think there are way better options out there.

When the power goes out for 4 days and your gen fails, the 3-year warranty (that makes taking a risk on a cheap gen maybe worthwhile) is pretty irrelevant.
Nov 11, 2021
12 posts
23 upvotes
Great deal, thanks OP.
Was it mentioned anywhere if you can buy an extra Costco warranty for this?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
RaiderX wrote: Great deal. I got this to power the fridge/freezer in the next power cut. It should also be able to power an electric kettle for making tea and coffee. My Ryobi battery inverter will power the chest freezer. To cook, I'll use the propane barbecue. Sorted! =)
An electric kettle may actually overload this generator.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
4118 posts
2270 upvotes
Toronto
Homesimpson wrote: a wise man. For some things a sale should not be the primary consideration. I'd argue a generator is one such item.

I think this gas gen makes sense if you need it for convenience and non-emergency reasons (like a job site or something). But if you're buying it for emergency situations (ie. power outage), I think there are way better options out there.

When the power goes out for 4 days and your gen fails, the 3-year warranty (that makes taking a risk on a cheap gen maybe worthwhile) is pretty irrelevant.
Which options would be better though? Close to this budget.

I think the issue is the better options come with a higher price tag.
Some of us would be willing to lug this outside and keep refilling it with gas to keep the fridge running or the furnace running. Even if it meant extension cords, or rewiring the furnace off of the panel.
Would I prefer a hard wired natural gas generator with a transfer switch to light up my whole house. For sure! But that's not $300 that's more like $10-20k
Dec 16, 2017
292 posts
859 upvotes
ottawa
Super_Chicken wrote: Which options would be better though?
Would I prefer a hard wired natural gas generator with a transfer switch to light up my whole house. For sure! But that's not $300 that's more like $10-20k
I agree that if all you have to spend on a gen is $300 then this is literally your only option and you should grab it. If you can spend a bit more, I think the gens with at least two 20a outlets are better. I think a gen that doesn't suck dirt up into the machine makes more sense. I think gens without a lot of 1 and 2 stars make more sense. And a slightly higher running and starting watts probably make sense. You can get all those upgrades on a gen for probably around $500 when on sale.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
4118 posts
2270 upvotes
Toronto
Homesimpson wrote: I agree that if all you have to spend on a gen is $300 then this is literally your only option and you should grab it. If you can spend a bit more, I think the gens with at least two 20a outlets are better. I think a gen that doesn't suck dirt up into the machine makes more sense. I think gens without a lot of 1 and 2 stars make more sense. And a slightly higher running and starting watts probably make sense. You can get all those upgrades on a gen for probably around $500 when on sale.
Thanks for explaining.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
3158 posts
3525 upvotes
Montreal
vkizzle wrote: An electric kettle may actually overload this generator.
Ran a 1800W heater for 2 hours straight last winter, no problem at all.
<no self promotion>

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)