Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Firman 2000/1600W Recoil Start Portable Inverter Generator - $450 ($100 off) free shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2022 11:15 pm
14 replies
Oct 15, 2009
149 posts
132 upvotes
I have the 2100/1700 version and it's amazing. It's quiet, 0.9 gal last about 7 hours. During the last storm it handled my standup freezer, fridge and water heater at the same time with no prob.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1785 posts
2105 upvotes
takun wrote: I have the 2100/1700 version and it's amazing. It's quiet, 0.9 gal last about 7 hours. During the last storm it handled my standup freezer, fridge and water heater at the same time with no prob.
1700w peak can handle a feather, a fridge AND a water heater? Sounds crazy!
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2009
3585 posts
1673 upvotes
'Shwallywood
Cucumference wrote: 1700w peak can handle a feather, a fridge AND a water heater? Sounds crazy!
Fridges use very little power, its the peak starting of the compressor that causes issus.
I don't fail, I succeed at finding what doesn't work
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
7015 posts
3535 upvotes
Moncton, NB
This would be good for our camper... I just need something to power on a tv and other small appliances when needed. We run the rest on propane and our furnace doesn't work anyway so we wouldn't use that at all.

Thanks op :)
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1837 posts
573 upvotes
Ottawa
Too bad Costco does not have 20% off for ocpver 1k purchase.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21263 posts
4371 upvotes
YUL
redhatbert wrote: Yeah. Buying it for camping with our popup. Don’t have to bring gasoline container is a huge plus. Wondering how much run time I would get from a green bottle?
Camp sites are quiet. Any generator is too loud for a camp site. Unless there’s no one around you
Dec 27, 2011
192 posts
258 upvotes
Sherwood Park
nellium wrote: Fridges use very little power, its the peak starting of the compressor that causes issus.
However, the majority of hot water tanks out there (especially RV) will use 1500W when cycled in.

So yes, I agree, its highly unlikely unless the water heater was up to temp. I certainly wouldn't count on running that kind of load on this unit. Freezer, fridge and water heater - dubious (the math simply doesn't work) Fridge and water heater - Maybe. Freezer and water heater - Doubtful. Fridge and freezer - %100 yes..

Now with all that said.. This is a good price on a no frills unit that can run a modest amount of stuff in a power outage.
Dec 27, 2011
192 posts
258 upvotes
Sherwood Park
nounou23 wrote: This would be good for our camper... I just need something to power on a tv and other small appliances when needed. We run the rest on propane and our furnace doesn't work anyway so we wouldn't use that at all.

Thanks op :)
Personally I would look into a portable power pack for that use. We have a 320Wh portable power pack that will run a TV, coffee grinder, ect (not a coffee pot) no problem. I would probably go for a 500wh if I did it again. Best of all no noise!
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
3044 posts
3307 upvotes
Montreal
travellerw wrote: However, the majority of hot water tanks out there (especially RV) will use 1500W when cycled in.

So yes, I agree, its highly unlikely unless the water heater was up to temp. I certainly wouldn't count on running that kind of load on this unit. Freezer, fridge and water heater - dubious (the math simply doesn't work) Fridge and water heater - Maybe. Freezer and water heater - Doubtful. Fridge and freezer - %100 yes..

Now with all that said.. This is a good price on a no frills unit that can run a modest amount of stuff in a power outage.
I have the 2000/1600 model and I ran my 2 fridges plus 1 freezer, network rack, 1 small TV plus my computer and my amp meter showed 9.5A. It will work, a problem will occur only if all compressors starts at the same time.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
7015 posts
3535 upvotes
Moncton, NB
travellerw wrote: Personally I would look into a portable power pack for that use. We have a 320Wh portable power pack that will run a TV, coffee grinder, ect (not a coffee pot) no problem. I would probably go for a 500wh if I did it again. Best of all no noise!
I was thinking about that too...

We were supposed to run power to the land we are located so we could install multiple breaker box to supply power to all the campers on it (5 campers) but I think we will have to delay that idea for now.

Personally I hate generators because of the noise at our camper but the 4 other people parked there have one and we don't own the land so we cannot really complain. I was just thinking since they all run generators I might just get one until we do run permanent power since it would be somewhat of a cheaper option than a big power pack.
Sep 22, 2014
410 posts
166 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
You can easily run an rv ac with this mini unit if younhave a softstart kit.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2010
1066 posts
567 upvotes
Canada
travellerw wrote: However, the majority of hot water tanks out there (especially RV) will use 1500W when cycled in.

Obviously they are using it for the power vent blower on a gas water heater.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
1720 posts
506 upvotes
Cucumference wrote: 1700w peak can handle a feather, a fridge AND a water heater? Sounds crazy!
Must be a gas water heater. Only the tiny 120 V point of use water heaters that you install in the bathroom could run off this generator. And even then just barely.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)