• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2021 7:08 am
[OP]
Jun 19, 2007
248 posts
100 upvotes
Mississauga

[Costco] Firman 3,300W Gas Powered Inverter Generator W03081

This generator is slightly more powerful than the one on sale recently. It will handle furnace and few lights with ease. Also, according to Costco magazine , this sale should start in June, so I guess it is slightly earlier. Just in time for our camping season.
12 replies
Sep 14, 2012
953 posts
1173 upvotes
Toronto
allanbradl wrote: This generator is slightly more powerful than the one on sale recently. It will handle furnace and few lights with ease. Also, according to Costco magazine , this sale should start in June, so I guess it is slightly earlier. Just in time for our camping season.
What is the easiest way to run a gas furnace with this thing? My gas furnace has wiring coming out of it to a junction box with an on-off switch. What's the easiest way to modify that?
Oct 14, 2015
257 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto
ichibansan wrote: What is the easiest way to run a gas furnace with this thing? My gas furnace has wiring coming out of it to a junction box with an on-off switch. What's the easiest way to modify that?
Turn the switch into receptacle and plug Electric Plug. Then you can unplug and use an extension to your generator without back feeding into the house, which is illegal unless you have a transfer switch. Unsure if my original suggestion is code or not, but it works just fine for a standard gas furnace that’s no more than a big blower and igniter.
Dec 9, 2008
283 posts
91 upvotes
Ottawa
Most furnace is on a dedicated 15A circuit by code, some 20A depending on blower specs. So, even with inrush current during startup, you are not likely to exceed the 3300W peak of this inverter, therefore more than sufficient to run furnace, hot water tank blower, hood fan, and a handful of LED lights lights during winter time blackout.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2005
1067 posts
686 upvotes
Waterloo
While not this exact model, I have the smaller Firman inverter generator. It works great. Very easy to start.

It's been getting a work out recently as my portable power source for my electric pole saw to do a ton of trimming and I've been very happy with it so far.
Happy Zoomer customer! $36/800m/5gb.
Nov 26, 2003
806 posts
167 upvotes
Halifax
Ordered mine on Mother's Day as that was the earliest within Costco's 30 day price adjustment policy. I haven't used it yet but my buddy got one during the sale last year and its been a fantastic unit.
Aug 24, 2018
742 posts
1012 upvotes
Langley BC
For $188 more you could get this one in store at costco.
Images
  • 20210506_160402.jpg
  • 20210506_160405.jpg
  • 20210506_160411.jpg
Don..
Jan 13, 2019
233 posts
396 upvotes
Ended up buying this and the 1600w model. Not sure if I'll keep both but thinking small one for portability or parallel them for big power.
May 25, 2010
306 posts
280 upvotes
Newmarket
ichibansan wrote: What is the easiest way to run a gas furnace with this thing? My gas furnace has wiring coming out of it to a junction box with an on-off switch. What's the easiest way to modify that?
generlink a little expensive i paid $1300 installed and it connects right to your hydro meter and you can choose what you want to run from your breaker box
Last edited by dogger99 on May 20th, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jun 19, 2007
248 posts
100 upvotes
Mississauga
As suggested , the cheapest solution is to disconnect your furnace at the point where it is interrupted by light switch and turn that outlet in a receptacle . (Make sure by tracing the wire it is actually power feed that is coming from distributor panel CB .) . Now your hot water heater (gas ) and furnace are plug and play . If you ever need to connect to generator , run extension cord through basement window during a power loss event . If you have money , you can go fully auto switch , many devices available $$$. The major concern plugging this thing into household circuits is damage from asynchronized current short circuit that may damage your generator. That’s why you need to isolate the circuits . On the other hand You can also synchronize your generator ant feed into power grid if you got nothing else to do in your free time .
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3796 posts
3536 upvotes
Muskoka
I bought this Firman model about 3 years ago. Still starts on the first 2 pulls.

We basically built a cottage with it. It ran all of our tools (not at the same time), including air compressor, and kept all of the tool batteries charged. We finally got hydro hooked up after the roof was on and we were basically ready for drywall. It was, and still is a great generator.

For the compressor, we bought a 30amp to 15amp adapter and used the 30amp outlet. That left the regular 15/20amp circuits for other tools.
Public Mobile