Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Firman 4000W Dual Fuel Inverter Generator $800 ($200 off)

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2022 3:55 pm
Jr. Member
Apr 2, 2009
147 posts
58 upvotes
Dealliker314159 wrote: How would you power furnace with a unit like this?
Swap your regular furnace shut off switch for a plug and outlet setup for $10 worth of parts at Home Depot. Run the furnace from an extension cord to the plug when needed.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2288 posts
1930 upvotes
ssowinski wrote: Swap your regular furnace shut off switch for a plug and outlet setup for $10 worth of parts at Home Depot. Run the furnace from an extension cord to the plug when needed.
You wouldn't want to run the generator in your house of course...if you run an outlet you will need to crack open a door or window which defeats the purpose of heat. Rather run a manual transfer switch. A little more work but worth it. I'm in the process of buying one. Electrical work for me is quite easy as I've wired most of my house myself with proper permits. If you are not comfortable then perhaps hire an electrician
Sr. Member
Sep 8, 2010
787 posts
1980 upvotes
Windsor
Need a good NG one. Would be perfect to place it at the NG bbq quick connect manifold with an outlet to feed the panel.
Newbie
Aug 27, 2017
92 posts
68 upvotes
sks8100 wrote: You wouldn't want to run the generator in your house of course...if you run an outlet you will need to crack open a door or window which defeats the purpose of heat. Rather run a manual transfer switch. A little more work but worth it. I'm in the process of buying one. Electrical work for me is quite easy as I've wired most of my house myself with proper permits. If you are not comfortable then perhaps hire an electrician
You could also setup a duplex outlet next to furnace that's wired so one side is using line voltage and the other powered by the generator outside... pretty much wired as I'm picturing your advice using a manual switch but cheaper. At least quick search wasn't seeing any manual switch options under $50 while an outlet can be under $5.

Depending on the layout of the house it could also work to connect the generator line to a outlet in kitchen that would let you run the fridge, kettle, light, and charge your phone, laptop, etc. Wouldn't want too much load on generator at same time but if the power is out long enough to make it worth getting the generator going you are likely to be focused on what's plugged in and can alternate between furnace, fridge, and whatever else that the generator can handle simultaneously.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2288 posts
1930 upvotes
StudYork wrote: Need a good NG one. Would be perfect to place it at the NG bbq quick connect manifold with an outlet to feed the panel.
I wanted an NG one too but hard to find one with inverter. Also NG produces the lowest amount of energy. Propane is the cleanest. If I can run the generator for 12 hrs on a 20 pound propane tank that’s not too bad. Anything longer than 12 hrs I’m going to my parents house lol
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2288 posts
1930 upvotes
cheapinMB wrote: You could also setup a duplex outlet next to furnace that's wired so one side is using line voltage and the other powered by the generator outside... pretty much wired as I'm picturing your advice using a manual switch but cheaper. At least quick search wasn't seeing any manual switch options under $50 while an outlet can be under $5.

Depending on the layout of the house it could also work to connect the generator line to a outlet in kitchen that would let you run the fridge, kettle, light, and charge your phone, laptop, etc. Wouldn't want too much load on generator at same time but if the power is out long enough to make it worth getting the generator going you are likely to be focused on what's plugged in and can alternate between furnace, fridge, and whatever else that the generator can handle simultaneously.
You could but then you are limiting your generator to only power your furnace. I’d like to have the option to pick and choose which circuit I want to run. For example I may want to turn on the circuit for my fridge and heat or my fridge and internet if heat isn’t needed etc
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1097 posts
1728 upvotes
unless you are wiring this yourself (which is illegal if not inspected, homeowners are allowed to do electrical work on their home, but installing new wiring/transfer switches always needs a permit+inspection) the cost of wiring things in your house to run off the genny will be much much higher than the generator itself.


i have a 60A sub panel, a 15 year old mitsubishi MGE5800, and some jerry cans. when the mitsubishi kicks it, i'll get something that runs on propane. my genny does 240v but it is not wired to the hot water heater or range. i didn't install this setup and i'll leave it as is.

edit: also remember, never have a load on the generator when you're starting it. when switching over to locally generated power, i'll turn off all the breakers on the sub panel, start the generator, switch the feed from mains to the generator, then flip the breakers one at a time. you dont want to go from 0 to 5kW load all at once
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2288 posts
1930 upvotes
Yes very good advice. Tho if you do the work yourself (with a permit of course) it’s not that expensive. When I got my tesla I wired my own 50A circuit to my garage and the material + permits + inspection were < $600 with the bulk of the cost being the copper wire. I also opted for a hubbel industrial outlet which was 100 on its own. Electrician wanted 1200 for like service/product

Transfer switches aren’t cheap but installing them are very straight forward if you are comfortable behind the panel so $0 labour there
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2015
661 posts
523 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I’ve done all that on my regular generator that I’ve converted to propane without issues also.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1493 posts
2148 upvotes
Toronto
Dealliker314159 wrote: How are you guys storing fuel for something like this? Bunch of Jerry cans in the garage?
I have one and only use propane.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 8, 2009
12262 posts
6058 upvotes
So i could run a fridge and a couple heaters with this guy? Probably not a electric furnace though correct?
Last edited by blazed16 on Oct 6th, 2022 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Deal Addict
May 24, 2017
1554 posts
1214 upvotes
QuinteWest
ssowinski wrote: Swap your regular furnace shut off switch for a plug and outlet setup for $10 worth of parts at Home Depot. Run the furnace from an extension cord to the plug when needed.
Doesn't the electrical code state that furnace must be hardwired? If anything happens (there is a fire) your insurance may not pay out any claim due to code not being followed.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2017
1554 posts
1214 upvotes
QuinteWest
blazed16 wrote: So i could run a fridge and a couple heaters with this guy? Probably not a electric furnace though correct?
It could run a furnace motor no issue. Just dont have so many things plugged in at same time.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2017
1554 posts
1214 upvotes
QuinteWest
sks8100 wrote: You wouldn't want to run the generator in your house of course...if you run an outlet you will need to crack open a door or window which defeats the purpose of heat. Rather run a manual transfer switch. A little more work but worth it. I'm in the process of buying one. Electrical work for me is quite easy as I've wired most of my house myself with proper permits. If you are not comfortable then perhaps hire an electrician
You could still run the cord through. Any gap can be sealed with painters tape, pool noodle, foam pipe wrap or even use a towel.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2017
1554 posts
1214 upvotes
QuinteWest
StudYork wrote: Need a good NG one. Would be perfect to place it at the NG bbq quick connect manifold with an outlet to feed the panel.
Generators need a lot of btu. You will need gas supply that can handle the load and minimum 1/2" flexible hose. There is a reason Firman sells 1/2" hose on their website. You can buy them on Amazon too. Thats what i did.
Images
  • 20220723_145844_HDR_Edited.jpg
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2288 posts
1930 upvotes
Paulie1RFD wrote: You could still run the cord through. Any gap can be sealed with painters tape, pool noodle, foam pipe wrap or even use a towel.
Yes it can as a temporary measure I suppose but then you would also have to pull out your fridge and plug it in. I’d rather the switch do all the work
Member
User avatar
Jun 25, 2004
310 posts
69 upvotes
Serbia
I like the idea of a generator. But in my 17 years as a homeowner, there's only ever been one instance where I genuinely needed one. After hurricane Dorian we lost power for about 50 hours. Aside from that, the power always comes back on quickly after an outage. Still kinda interested in getting this though.

Top