• Jun 6th, 2021 12:19 am
[OP]
Feb 14, 2021
27 posts
99 upvotes

[Costco] Firman Tri-Fuel generator 9400W, $719.99

Good deal in store: $720. The same model is listed fur $1200 on the website:

http s://www.costco.ca/firman-9400-w-trifuel-generator.product.100668053.html

Thinking f buying this as a backup gen, to be paired with a manual transfer switch
Power outages are rare in our area, and propane beats gasoline for shelf life
No need for auto transfer switch or full house Generac
26 replies
[OP]
Feb 14, 2021
27 posts
99 upvotes
MELPOMENE wrote: In-store, but where?
Found in Fredericton, NB

It does not seem to be a *.97 store-specific clearance, check your locale
Apr 1, 2013
815 posts
1172 upvotes
Fredericton
Bought the same one end of March. It's $50 cheaper now.

Solid generator, though of course no power outages since then. Ha
Jan 24, 2016
92 posts
137 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Something to consider is that you’re likely only going to get 4-5 hours of usage on this depending on load if you’re using a 50 lb propane tank.
Aug 22, 2014
232 posts
341 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
life359 wrote: Bought the same one end of March. It's $50 cheaper now.
Which fuel are you using it with? I have a BBQ NG line right next to a transfer switch feed, so in theory this would be perfect.
Apr 1, 2013
815 posts
1172 upvotes
Fredericton
BreadBagSeals wrote: Which fuel are you using it with? I have a BBQ NG line right next to a transfer switch feed, so in theory this would be perfect.
Gasoline at the moment, but I will likely switch to propane given the longer shelf life. I just have to buy one of those giant tanks.
Jun 4, 2006
343 posts
211 upvotes
Does this qualify as an essential or garden item? Aw man, these lockdowns...
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
2208 posts
879 upvotes
GTA
MaximumParsimony wrote: Good deal in store: $720. The same model is listed fur $1200 on the website:

http s://www.costco.ca/firman-9400-w-trifuel-gen ... 68053.html

Thinking f buying this as a backup gen, to be paired with a manual transfer switch
Power outages are rare in our area, and propane beats gasoline for shelf life
No need for auto transfer switch or full house Generac
this is what I did with a dual fuel. given I'll maybe never use it (hopefully) propane is definetly better for storage as you said,
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3638 posts
1794 upvotes
Ottawa
Weight 96.16 kg (212 lb.)

So keep that in mind in terms of where you plan to put it or move it.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2011
1043 posts
602 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
This is a screaming good deal for that. I bought it last year from the website at $1200 and compared to anything else THAT was a good deal. I used it yesterday to run my whole house (I was running off propane) when the power went out by hooking it up to my generlink. Worked pretty seamlessly.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1550 posts
704 upvotes
Ottawa
Does Enbridge typically keep the natural gas flowing during an extended power outage? Presumably my furnace is going to stop working with no electricity, but I wonder if a NG-powered generator would hold out longer. This unit's a bit too much for my tiny back yard, but a small unit would still be better if it would run longer than gas powered. Not expecting whole-house power at that point, maybe 1 or 2 15A outlets to keep fridge, freezer, and/or small heater going.

Thanks.
Penalty Box
Nov 15, 2020
1246 posts
2414 upvotes
KarlDag wrote: Change you diet, exercise, and supplement? Waiting for a jab instead of fixing decades of lifestyle is silly at best.
Even with those changes you can still be at a very high risk
Zoomer Wireless: $36 5GB Plan
Oct 28, 2013
202 posts
166 upvotes
Saskatoon
aw1883 wrote: Does Enbridge typically keep the natural gas flowing during an extended power outage? Presumably my furnace is going to stop working with no electricity, but I wonder if a NG-powered generator would hold out longer. This unit's a bit too much for my tiny back yard, but a small unit would still be better if it would run longer than gas powered. Not expecting whole-house power at that point, maybe 1 or 2 15A outlets to keep fridge, freezer, and/or small heater going.

Thanks.
Not sure about Enbridge, but I expect so. SaskEnergy has been 100% reliable in power outages...and I've been w/o power for 3 or 4 days a few times.
If you're considering this one to run on NG, pay close attention to its kw output (it's far less than on gasoline.
This is a very good deal.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1550 posts
704 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks, I'm not sure whether to invest in this, we had no outages last winter (big deal, one year). I saw the power was less, but this thing at 3'x2'x2' is really kind of big. I haven't seen anything smaller though, and even Firman's site has I think only 1 generator that runs NG (and a 2nd Costco-exclusive that looks like the same generator with slightly lower specs). So it may not be practical.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1550 posts
704 upvotes
Ottawa
Please let's not debate lockdowns here. I think we can all agree they're frustrating, and though no random group will never agree whether they're necessary or appropriately implemented, but that's irrelevant at this point since they're in place.

This is a great thread for me because I had no idea there were NG-powered generators, and that's the most practical for me (assuming an outdoor BBQ connection can be used or modified).

Thanks.
[OP]
Feb 14, 2021
27 posts
99 upvotes
life359 wrote: Bought the same one end of March. It's $50 cheaper now.

Solid generator, though of course no power outages since then. Ha
Murphy's law. It may also be possible that your generator prevents power outages from happening just by being there ;)

What do you use for transfer switch?
Nov 19, 2016
64 posts
18 upvotes
I bought this earlier in the year when it was on sale, (similar price). I live in a rural area about 15 minutes from a city. We get a lot of power outages. I had a gas one, but gas runs dirtier, (according to the mechanic), and I had to get it serviced constantly. I now run this on propane, (we have a giant propane tank) and it runs great. The mechanic stated propane is one of the cleanest fuels and I will not require too much service with this generator compared to the gas one. A friend bought one as well and he runs it on NG. I sold the gas generator to cover some of the cost of the new one. I have a manual transfer switch that runs 80% of my house. I have used generators for about 12 years. This is a pretty good price for a good quality flexible fuel generator. The next level up would be whole home Generacs. Thanks OP for alerting people that may be in need of a good generator.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2530 posts
1254 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote: Before anyone buy this gen you should first go here and read post #14.

P.S. It produces dirty electricity and, for example, if THD is 25% it means you are not only wasting 25% of the electricity produced, but you are also wasting 25% of the fuel you are using to make this gen work.
Here we go again. I was just about to post that, for some reason, there is this guy that keeps trying to dissuade people from buying this specific generator. The information you refer to has been countered by others and the company itself as being untrue. Go read the response to your input on that thread. This is what...the third post you have tried to get people not to buy this item with your your jaded opinion. Ok so...let's try this. I purchased this some time ago... Bought it when it was just under 1500 taxes in from Costco.ca in fact. Used it during several Muskoka black outs. WORKS GREAT! It is an amazing generator. I even got my local Costco to agree to a price match when it was dropped to $749....which their policy prohibits. Told them they could take my used generator back...which worked perfectly well... and I would simply buy a new one, cutting their opportunity to sell that item.

So from a guys who own and has used it extensively...RECOMMENDED.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ITEMS FOR SALE TODAY (Linked)
  1. WD Black AN1500 2TB AIC NVME SSD 6.5GB/s r/wr
  2. Intel i9-10900K and ASRock Z490 Taichi Motherboard
Jun 8, 2007
874 posts
251 upvotes
Oshawa
As the guy you quote in post 14 I thought I would chime in. I understand technology... I Graduated as electronic engineering tech. Have not used it in awhile but that knowledge is in here somewhere.

I have this Genny. Spun it up and, slow break-in and a couple oil changes later. It powers my house and everything in it. I understand is is not clean power and also not great for some AC bases electronics. I also understand most modern electronics have decent protection in place. I understand that it can lead to premature failure in some cases.

I also understand it is a $800 generator that I will likely use a few hours a year to power my house but have as a backup for longer outages. I understand that a inverter based generator with this output would well over 5x as much money.

I take a small risk and keep a bunch of money in my wallet.

Typed this on my phone. Humble apologies for my typos...

TomLafinsky wrote: It's not your fault you are not able to understand technology.