Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Firman Tri-Fuel generator 9400W, $719.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2021 12:19 am
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1493 posts
2148 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote: I'm waiting for Champion to come up with a tri-fuel inverter. Probably in a year or two.
I don't need trifuel, but I do want dual (with gas and propane) and I want inverter.

There's really not that many to choose from.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1493 posts
2148 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote: You need to go across the border. I bought this one from acmetools.com.

I bought two identical gens because having a backup to your backup system is a smart approach ;) And this is powerful enough for my 2 fridges, 3 chest freezers and a large house... (furnace, water heater & kitchen range all natural gas).
Well, the go across the border thing is a bit of a problem right now
Jun 8, 2007
934 posts
279 upvotes
Oshawa
If I could get a 5000W inverter generator for under $2k I would likely go that way. Trifuel would make it even better but not a must.

You say I will be lucky to have little or no damage running this generator? I see it the other way. I will mostly likely be fine and unlucky if I have any issues.
I suggest people educate themselves. The reality for me is I need a 240V generator to run my well pump or I would get a smaller Inverter generator that I can take camping and that is more portable . Saying that however I understand my well pump MAY run a warmer as it has to dissipate the wasted energy. My well pump however is 100' underground submerged in 80' of water that is at a constant cool temp. It runs fine on this generator and others.

My Furnace is not variable and runs quite happily on this generator. Most Variable Speed Furnaces based on my research will run just fine as well. They MAY choose to not run and output error codes. They may run poorly and cause premature failure or they may release the magic smoke and need an expensive repair. I stand by most modern High Efficient Furnaces are well built, protected and able to run with a poor power source. I would not suggest it for an off grid power source running indefinitely. I DO suggest this generator for the average home owner that wants to be able to power the important things in there house for a few hours, days or maybe even weeks to get you through a power outage.

Yes I am a bad person and backfeed my panel. Yes I know how to do it safely. Yes I plan to install a proper bypass at some point. Yes I run this Dirty power generator to power my house. No I do not expect nor have I had any problems from running it.

TomLafinsky wrote: I'm glad to see you have a better grasp on the situation than the other poster. But before I go any further, the guy I'm quoting in post 14 is myself. May you read post 11 which is where the link takes you.

The thing is, non-inverter generators are a bad idea in 95%+ of situations. If it burns your TV or microwave oven you are looking at a few hundreds dollars. It is guaranteed NOT to work with a variable speed furnace. If THD is 25% then you are wasting 25% of the fuel (and the electricity produced). For loads like electric water heater or electric baseboard heaters a non-inverter gen is great. But for most other things, it is not a good idea. The money you save upfront could be completely negated if you have to replace a TV or something else. Not to mention what you cannot see like shorter life of appliances due to overheating.

I do agree if you practically never use it then you might be lucky and have little or no damage. I'm waiting for Champion to come up with a tri-fuel inverter. Probably in a year or two.
[OP]
Feb 14, 2021
85 posts
330 upvotes
YFC
For sensitive analog electronics, just get a decent UPS with line conditioner.

Most modern devices don't really care about power fluctuations. We had a couple of brownouts recently, and were surprised that the house tech just kept chugging
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1493 posts
2148 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote: The border (driving through) should re-open pretty soon. I'm thinking July or August. At the rate both Canadians and Americans are being vaccinated it should be very soon. Use a VPN with an American server and go to championpowerequipment.com to see all the stores selling this particular American model. If you go to the website from a Canadian server it won't show you which stores sell American models.
To be honest, I am not really a drive across the border to save money kind of guy. 5 hour drive, have to pay GST on return to Canada, etc. Would just as soon buy in Canada at Costco if possible and that way if there is an issue a 15 minute drive gets me my money back
Jan 4, 2016
67 posts
92 upvotes
Langley
Looked in 4 BC costco's and they're $919.99

If anyone sees one in the west please advise
Banned
Jun 25, 2019
163 posts
211 upvotes
Montreal
MaximumParsimony wrote: Good deal in store: $720. The same model is listed fur $1200 on the website:

http s://www.costco.ca/firman-9400-w-trifuel-gen ... 68053.html

Thinking f buying this as a backup gen, to be paired with a manual transfer switch
Power outages are rare in our area, and propane beats gasoline for shelf life
No need for auto transfer switch or full house Generac

It seems you listed this in the children apparel.

You should perhaps list it in tools