Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Firman W03081 3,300 W Gasoline Powered Inverter Generator - $599.99 ($540 with HD PM)

• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2019 11:58 am
Sep 26, 2012
186 posts
102 upvotes
Edmonton
MafiaHitman wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 11:56 pm
So I got this last year with the Home Depot price match. I bought it specifically to run our 30A trailer. I did the 5-10 hour run, drain oil thing as was recommended.

I basically used this once, and it said I was over using it (correct term is overloaded I guess), so it cut supplying power to the trailer even though it was running.

Never used it again, searched online what the issue could be, but no luck.

Anyone else have this issue? I have read online and reviews how this will power a trailer with AC with no issues, but yet it won't for me (I only have a 13,000 AC not 15,000). All we were running was AC, nothing else.

It seems to run fine when nothing is plugged in, it's quiet, maybe I am doing something wrong, but I just don;t see how, it's basically plug the 30A cable in.

I can't say for sure how hot it was outside that day, but I don't think it was over 25C
Got mine from Costco last summer, we have a 13,000 btu roof AC, it will run both the AC and the microwave at the same time I'm sure. Maybe you got a bad unit? Maybe check if your choke cable is properly attached...there are a few videos on youtube about it being loose right from the factory. Could definately cause a power issue. Loose choke video
Feb 21, 2007
71 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
Just ordered one through Home Depot with price match. Came to $610.20 (Ontario) delivered to my door.

Reviews look pretty good, and at this price it was a no brainer for me.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
1789 posts
451 upvotes
Calgary
DrPoopee79 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 12:52 am
Got mine from Costco last summer, we have a 13,000 btu roof AC, it will run both the AC and the microwave at the same time I'm sure. Maybe you got a bad unit? Maybe check if your choke cable is properly attached...there are a few videos on youtube about it being loose right from the factory. Could definately cause a power issue. Loose choke video
I don't think it's a choke issue, but hey I will check it out... Thanks for posting.
Oct 2, 2014
84 posts
95 upvotes
Madden, AB
PMd with Home Depot for $567 all in! Thanks!
Nov 15, 2017
183 posts
446 upvotes
WEST CANADA
For how long am I covered by Costco returns? Say in a year and a half it doesn't work anymore will they take it back?
Apr 11, 2019
3 posts
4 upvotes
Chat with Costco Rep:

"Costco does have a very good return policy -
we will typically accept returns within the first year of owning the
product. After that one year, we would look at it case by case for
a return."

"If anything goes wrong with the item within 3 years I simply bring it back to Costco?"

"As it would have a Warranty, you can reach out
to the Vendor for assistance and they will be able to help you
under the warranty. If you wish not to reach out to the Vendor,
Costco may do so for you!"
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6033 posts
583 upvotes
SW Ontario
zebracobra007 wrote:
Apr 10th, 2019 7:46 pm
For how long am I covered by Costco returns? Say in a year and a half it doesn't work anymore will they take it back?
Shoper101 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 3:06 pm
Chat with Costco Rep:

"Costco does have a very good return policy -
we will typically accept returns within the first year of owning the
product. After that one year, we would look at it case by case for
a return."

"If anything goes wrong with the item within 3 years I simply bring it back to Costco?"

"As it would have a Warranty, you can reach out
to the Vendor for assistance and they will be able to help you
under the warranty. If you wish not to reach out to the Vendor,
Costco may do so for you!"
This is how I’ve understood it. After a year they expect the manufacturer to take care of you. But if they do not (say they refuse to repair or it’s somehow not possible) then Costco would likely return it.

I did that with one product several years ago. I had it over a year, the manufacturer replaced a part that kept breaking several times. Then they said it was ‘normal’ (which it wasn’t) and refused to take care of it under warranty. When I went back to Costco with it they refunded no issue after I told them the situation.
Aug 25, 2008
579 posts
94 upvotes
Halifax, NS
MafiaHitman wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 11:56 pm
So I got this last year with the Home Depot price match. I bought it specifically to run our 30A trailer. I did the 5-10 hour run, drain oil thing as was recommended.

I basically used this once, and it said I was over using it (correct term is overloaded I guess), so it cut supplying power to the trailer even though it was running.

Never used it again, searched online what the issue could be, but no luck.

Anyone else have this issue? I have read online and reviews how this will power a trailer with AC with no issues, but yet it won't for me (I only have a 13,000 AC not 15,000). All we were running was AC, nothing else.

It seems to run fine when nothing is plugged in, it's quiet, maybe I am doing something wrong, but I just don;t see how, it's basically plug the 30A cable in.

I can't say for sure how hot it was outside that day, but I don't think it was over 25C
I don't know much about generators but did you ever shut it off or let it run out of fuel while a load was still connected? I read that can damage a generator, I'm not sure how you test for it though? Maybe connect a load (blow dryer/space heater) and measure the voltage output. Not sure if you followed the break in instructions, I think you're only supposed to put less than 50% load for the first while.

You could ask @TomLafinsky, he was commenting in one of the other threads and seemed to know a lot about generators.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
1789 posts
451 upvotes
Calgary
ivorm wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 4:29 pm
I don't know much about generators but did you ever shut it off or let it run out of fuel while a load was still connected? I read that can damage a generator, I'm not sure how you test for it though? Maybe connect a load (blow dryer/space heater) and measure the voltage output. Not sure if you followed the break in instructions, I think you're only supposed to put less than 50% load for the first while.

You could ask @TomLafinsky, he was commenting in one of the other threads and seemed to know a lot about generators.
Never, this was on first tank, I had barely used it before except for the 5 hour burn in and change of oil.

I might have used it an hour, and it was low draw (using it to power some tools while building a deck.
Nov 15, 2017
183 posts
446 upvotes
WEST CANADA
redgrandam wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 4:05 pm
This is how I’ve understood it. After a year they expect the manufacturer to take care of you. But if they do not (say they refuse to repair or it’s somehow not possible) then Costco would likely return it.

I did that with one product several years ago. I had it over a year, the manufacturer replaced a part that kept breaking several times. Then they said it was ‘normal’ (which it wasn’t) and refused to take care of it under warranty. When I went back to Costco with it they refunded no issue after I told them the situation.
Thanks for the info, that was great of you.

I did order one from Costco 2 days ago and today got an email that it has shipped. Just looking to use it when I am camping in public land.
Banned
Jan 13, 2019
31 posts
20 upvotes
sonyminidiscman wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 10:32 pm

I've know my way around camping, never needed electricity. However, with a baby, I just wanna be prepared. but if it makes a ton of noise, then i will probably try and "steal" some electricity during the day from washrooms to charge my batteries... I have a couple 5 amp chargers, should make quick work charging them back up
I don't know what your set-up is, but have you considered using a solar panel? I added a 100 watt solar panel (and a controller); probably cost me $300 all in (I installed) and on most days I get 4-5 amps coming out continuously.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
2338 posts
878 upvotes
Burnaby
My 1700/2100w firman can run a 13000 btu ac alone. Something wrong with your unit.

Or possibly your AC current draw on startup is monstrous. Startup amps are usually 2x the normal running amps.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
1789 posts
451 upvotes
Calgary
TomLafinsky wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 10:48 am
At this point I would suggest getting a kill-a-watt. You will need two devices/tools like an electric heater, a hair drier, an electric iron, a drill, etc.

Btw, you said you used it to build a deck. Electric motors from tools like saw can require up to 2 to 3 times their rated amps/watts. Always take that into consideration when connection something to the gen.
I will try this when I get back to the trailer. Thanks for your help.

I used it to plug in the battery chargers for the power tools, the only other thing maybe was a chop saw, but I can't remember to be truthful.
Oct 3, 2012
10 posts
Kamloops
PMed st Home Depot for 10%off Costco sale price. SWEET!