Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Firman W03081 3,300 W Gasoline Powered Inverter Generator - $599.99 ($540 with HD PM)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2019 9:22 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3633 posts
1200 upvotes
Montreal
TomLafinsky wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 10:48 am
At this point I would suggest getting a kill-a-watt. You will need two devices/tools like an electric heater, a hair drier, an electric iron, a drill, etc.

Start your gen and let it warm up for 2-3 minutes. Then connect kill-a-watt to gen and connect the first tool/device you found that consumes around 1500 watts into the kill-a-watt. Turn it on and then use the kill-a-watt to find out the exact number of watts used by your first tool/device.

Unplug the first tool/device from the kill-a-watt and plug your second tool/device in the kill-a-watt and turn it on to find out how many watts your second tool/device is consuming.

Ideally the total consumption of both tools/devices should be close to but not over 3000 watts.

Unplug kill-a-watt from gen and then plug your two tools/devices into the gen. Turn the first one on, wait a few seconds and then turn on the second one.

If your gen can run both then there is nothing wrong with your gen.

Btw, you said you used it to build a deck. Electric motors from tools like saw can require up to 2 to 3 times their rated amps/watts. Always take that into consideration when connection something to the gen.

A gen will survive a certain number of overloading. But eventually you can kill the gen by simply burning a $2 component of the gen's electronic board. What is even more dangerous is letting it run out of gas while a device/tool is connected to the gen AND pulling electricity out of the gen. Doing this a certain number of times is guaranteed to eventually kill the gen. But sometimes a single time is enough to kill the gen.
What is being killed when it runs out of gas? This seems like a pretty normal thing to happen to a generator.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1854 posts
1355 upvotes
GT!! wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 6:17 pm
What is being killed when it runs out of gas? This seems like a pretty normal thing to happen to a generator.
It's perfectly fine to let a gen run out of gas WHILE there is NO device/tool/whatever pulling electricity out of the gen. Otherwise your risk damaging an electronic component/part that participates in the production of electricity. It is pretty stupid when you think about it; the whole gen is useless because a $2 part failed.

If someone has the necessary knowledge and basic electronic tools to find which one failed then great. Otherwise a shop might easily charge $200 to fix it.

So before shutting down a gen (or letting it run out of gas), ALWAYS unplug everything that is plugged into the gen. Let it cool off for 2-3 minutes and then shut it off. Simple.
Physical pride is amusing. Mental pride can be annoying. But spiritual pride can be dangerous.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3633 posts
1200 upvotes
Montreal
TomLafinsky wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 6:56 pm
It's perfectly fine to let a gen run out of gas WHILE there is NO device/tool/whatever pulling electricity out of the gen. Otherwise your risk damaging an electronic component/part that participates in the production of electricity. It is pretty stupid when you think about it; the whole gen is useless because a $2 part failed.

If someone has the necessary knowledge and basic electronic tools to find which one failed then great. Otherwise a shop might easily charge $200 to fix it.

So before shutting down a gen (or letting it run out of gas), ALWAYS unplug everything that is plugged into the gen. Let it cool off for 2-3 minutes and then shut it off. Simple.
What electric component is at risk?
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1854 posts
1355 upvotes
GT!! wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 7:29 pm
What electric component is at risk?
To start with, it depends if your gen has an AVR or is an inverter. There are too many possibilities for me to start listing them. Just google it.
Physical pride is amusing. Mental pride can be annoying. But spiritual pride can be dangerous.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3633 posts
1200 upvotes
Montreal
TomLafinsky wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 7:52 pm
To start with, it depends if your gen has an AVR or is an inverter. There are too many possibilities for me to start listing them. Just google it.
What do you suggest I search for? My searches aren't finding anything helpful.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1854 posts
1355 upvotes
GT!! wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 8:08 pm
Here.
Jul 2, 2011
94 posts
28 upvotes
Pickering, ON
GT!! wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 8:08 pm
Perhaps you should search for repair shops in your area? After all if you don't even know which components to search for then the odds of you being able to repair your generator yourself are extremely unlikely. Not that I'm being critical, I'm probably in the same boat as you. It's just that you need to be realistic with these things. An actual repair is much more complicated than an internet search.

Tom
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3633 posts
1200 upvotes
Montreal
tom_no.1 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 9:39 pm
Perhaps you should search for repair shops in your area? After all if you don't even know which components to search for then the odds of you being able to repair your generator yourself are extremely unlikely. Not that I'm being critical, I'm probably in the same boat as you. It's just that you need to be realistic with these things. An actual repair is much more complicated than an internet search.

Tom
My generator isn't broken. I'm asking TomLafinski what "$2 electronic component" is at risk if you don't follow his generator shutdown procedure. If he doesn't know then I'd have to question how knowledgeable he really is. When pressed, he started out being evasive, and his last post was an attempt to insult me (as far as I can tell). Draw your own conclusions if he doesn't come back with anything solid ...
Jul 2, 2011
94 posts
28 upvotes
Pickering, ON
GT!! wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 9:53 pm
My generator isn't broken. I'm asking TomLafinski what "$2 electronic component" is at risk if you don't follow his generator shutdown procedure. If he doesn't know then I'd have to question how knowledgeable he really is. When pressed, he started out being evasive, and his last post was an attempt to insult me (as far as I can tell). Draw your own conclusions if he doesn't come back with anything solid ...
Ah! So you're not really seeking information, you're just trying to pick a fight. It seems to me that the gentleman in question is offering a cautionary warning of a commonly understood situation to any generator owners who have not heard of this potential problem and instead of thanking him you demanding that he provide proof. I'm sorry but I really don't understand that mentality at all. How does that possibly hurt you?

Tom
Jul 15, 2018
2 posts
2 upvotes
Sounds to me tom#1 and tom#2 both don't know what they're talking about so instead of answering the questions they're just deflecting.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1564 posts
1831 upvotes
Toronto
hover62 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 12:28 am
I don't know what your set-up is, but have you considered using a solar panel? I added a 100 watt solar panel (and a controller); probably cost me $300 all in (I installed) and on most days I get 4-5 amps coming out continuously.
That requires me to find a sunny site doesn't it? most site I went to have large trees doesn't get much sun...
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1564 posts
1831 upvotes
Toronto
tom_no.1 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 10:16 pm
Ah! So you're not really seeking information, you're just trying to pick a fight. It seems to me that the gentleman in question is offering a cautionary warning of a commonly understood situation to any generator owners who have not heard of this potential problem and instead of thanking him you demanding that he provide proof. I'm sorry but I really don't understand that mentality at all. How does that possibly hurt you?

Tom

lol... well, I'd agree with GT a little here.......... as a DIYer... and has a small background in electronics, I'd like to know what $2 part... fuse? resistor? cap? a certain chip? voltage regulator?

I don't know much about generators, but i've rebuilt carbs on a 1980 6 cylinder outboard, replace surface mount resistors, and basic car maintenance oil brake belts..., I want to know how to fix the generator I might get lol
Dec 3, 2010
384 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
TerryS78129 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 11:09 pm
Sounds to me tom#1 and tom#2 both don't know what they're talking about so instead of answering the questions they're just deflecting.
Plenty of people on RFD are trying way too hard to sound smarter than they really are. I've seen this in threads about knives, watches, torque wrenches, and of course generators. This is a deals forum not showing off how smart you are by giving out dumb advices forum.