Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Firman W03081 3,300 W Gasoline Powered Inverter Generator - $599.99 ($540 with HD PM)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2019 9:22 pm
Jan 13, 2019
30 posts
19 upvotes
I think some unknowledgable people are being ungrateful. A person gives you general advice based on his experience; yup, many electronic parts in circuits are a couple of bucks and when they fry your generator will no longer produce current. Troubleshooting electronics when you are ignorant in these matters is pretty futile, and that is what Tom was alluding to in a humorous fashion. If you are easily offended in a forum, maybe you sjould reconsider whether you should be asking for help from others; complex issues can seldom be dealt with so simply.

I, for one, will thank Tom for his useful advice.
Jan 13, 2019
30 posts
19 upvotes
sonyminidiscman wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 11:22 pm
That requires me to find a sunny site doesn't it? most site I went to have large trees doesn't get much sun...
My camper is often in the sun so I can't address your point. I suggest you ask others having solar pannels about electrical production in the shade, or Google it. The results may surprise you.

What I enjoy about solar panels is that it's an extremely reliable and durable method of producing current and requires no maintenance.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
1719 posts
308 upvotes
Calgary
hover62 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 12:52 am
I think some unknowledgable people are being ungrateful. A person gives you general advice based on his experience; yup, many electronic parts in circuits are a couple of bucks and when they fry your generator will no longer produce current. Troubleshooting electronics when you are ignorant in these matters is pretty futile, and that is what Tom was alluding to in a humorous fashion. If you are easily offended in a forum, maybe you sjould reconsider whether you should be asking for help from others; complex issues can seldom be dealt with so simply.

I, for one, will thank Tom for his useful advice.
For the record, I am grateful for Tom posting about my issue (and I thanked him for it) and I have already ordered a Kill-A-Watt from Amazon, and plan on doing exactly what he took the time to detail out for me.

Also thanks to the other people trying to help me as well.

I think Tom has given out very sound and detailed advice, and is much more knowledgeable than me.

I am looking forward to testing out my gen and see it's it truly is screwed up and if I did it.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1846 posts
1344 upvotes
tom_no.1 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 10:16 pm
Ah! So you're not really seeking information, you're just trying to pick a fight. It seems to me that the gentleman in question is offering a cautionary warning of a commonly understood situation to any generator owners who have not heard of this potential problem and instead of thanking him you demanding that he provide proof. I'm sorry but I really don't understand that mentality at all. How does that possibly hurt you?

Tom
Thanks for the good words. Unfortunately some posters believe you owe them something. And in the current case seems unable to comprehend the wording of the owner's manual.

Btw, nice first name Face With Tears Of Joy
Physical pride is amusing. Mental pride can be annoying. But spiritual pride can be dangerous.
May 1, 2007
222 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
ah crap. I missed the sale price. :(
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5309 posts
1043 upvotes
Calgary
so, to provide detail that may have been missed previously... if you run the gen out of gas while loaded, you can de-energize the generator coil, 90% of the time, this will be the problem, its not a $2 part but can cause problems, the gen will still run but you'll have zero output, sometimes you'll need to take it to a shop and have them re-energize it, but often you can do this yourself by plugging in a corded drill and spinning the chuck by hand, this will basically make the drill act as a very low power generator, enough to re-energize the coil, and using a variable speed drill is probably more effective because once you get a small mount of power in to the coil, then you run a low drain device, this will encourage the coils to re-charge.

Lots of youtube videos, search generator coil renergize.

Not sure if this is a thing on inverter gens, seems like its mostly oldschool construction gens.
Jul 2, 2011
94 posts
28 upvotes
Pickering, ON
TomLafinsky wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 6:55 am
Thanks for the good words. Unfortunately some posters believe you owe them something. And in the current case seems unable to comprehend the wording of the owner's manual.

Btw, nice first name Face With Tears Of Joy
You're welcome Sir! I must commend you on yours as well. LOL! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5309 posts
1043 upvotes
Calgary
tom_no.1 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 5:50 pm
You're welcome Sir! I must commend you on yours as well. LOL! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
you 2 need a deal on a hotel room?
Jan 13, 2019
30 posts
19 upvotes
T3rry wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 9:03 pm
you 2 need a deal on a hotel room?
I see you're trying to get into a threesome!
:-)
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1846 posts
1344 upvotes
The fist step to take if ever your gen is running but does not generate electricity is to take it apart in order to do a visual inspection of all the electronic components as well as the board (the board should be behind a huge heat sink). If you can't see anything abnormal than you'll have to take it to a shop. If you don't know what to look for then google is your friend :)

The probability that you can find the problem by doing a visual inspection is no more than 10% but it's worth a try.
Physical pride is amusing. Mental pride can be annoying. But spiritual pride can be dangerous.