Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] [Costco] FoodSaver $130 in store/Costco.ca and bags

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2016 2:21 pm
Jan 31, 2016
176 posts
82 upvotes
AB
Is this worth the price? Buying meat in bulk and freezing them didn't work very well for me (meat began to develop weird taste) Would using this alleviate that?
Nov 13, 2007
483 posts
230 upvotes
Montreal
f2c2sd5g wrote: Is this worth the price? Buying meat in bulk and freezing them didn't work very well for me (meat began to develop weird taste) Would using this alleviate that?
This will definitely resolve your meat woes. Although pretty much any system that can pull air and KEEP air out of your bag/container will work. Freezer ziplock bags will NOT keep itself air tight after a few days in the freezer.

Although bear in mind, 6 months they say is the max you can keep vacuum sealed meats in the freezer. I've never really gone past that limit before so I can't attest to that.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2560 posts
506 upvotes
Burlington
I have this unit and use it regularly...both for freezing and for sous vide. I only had one failure, and that was sealing a marinated (moist) steak. My own fault, should have double checked the seal...
Decent price considering time travel is hit and miss these days:)
I use the 11" x 50' rolls from Amazon, and they work great.
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.
Apr 8, 2009
268 posts
263 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
My girlfriend got tired and disgusted of me mouth-suctioning raw meats when sealing them for sous vide. So she bought me this a few months ago.

It works fantastically. Highly recommended for those of you that cook sous vide.
Banned
Sep 24, 2014
523 posts
251 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Hey, I've found some of the cheapest bags in Canada. Anyone have any experience with this brand? $12.85 for 20' roll 8" wide: https://www.amazon.ca/canFly-2-Pack-per ... r-mr-title
Not too many reviews but it's $5 cheaper than walmart's version: http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/ziploc-8-va ... AqD7bLWUPI

Awesome, thanks OP! Does anyone know if this machine has a removable drip tray? How is this better than the $100 vacuum machines from amazon?
Jan 10, 2013
370 posts
176 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
Mouth suctioning? Why wouldn't use just use water displacement method? Seems less... raw meat in the mouth, that way.
Banned
Sep 24, 2014
523 posts
251 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
martinwales28 wrote: Ive used these work great:

2 x 8"x20' 16.97
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/ziploc-8-va ... 0188315541

compared to $25 for the foodsaver brand at the same store
BobSagget wrote:
ol' dirty ewok wrote:
Phanman wrote: get some after market bags online for better value.
ol' dirty ewok wrote: They don't seem to ship to Canada. but good price otherwise.
Phanman wrote: get some after market bags online for better value.
Have you all seen these ones? They seem like the best deal for Canada: https://www.amazon.ca/review/R3QOU3DWZM ... r_rdp_perm
Nov 18, 2004
49 posts
70 upvotes
I bought this awhile back when it was on sale. I think it's great,very easy to use, and a lot more user friendly then ones I've used in the past.
[OP]
Mar 8, 2008
317 posts
427 upvotes
gatineau
I am really curious about the various third-party bags that are being posted. Particularly these rolls - https://www.amazon.ca/Large-Vacuum-Seal ... FDRBRH4RGK

Those who've used various bags, are there any limitations or drawbacks to using non-branded versions? What is the most important quality to look out for?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2949 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
Anybody know it the unit itself includes any bags. Also curious about third party bags. I don't buy a huge amount of meat at a time - except for the Costco chicken breast / fish.

Just wondering if it's worth it. Don't have a lot of counter space and my so will have to stash this away for sure
Jan 12, 2012
303 posts
308 upvotes
Calgary
Irbe wrote: Anybody know it the unit itself includes any bags. Also curious about third party bags. I don't buy a huge amount of meat at a time - except for the Costco chicken breast / fish.

Just wondering if it's worth it. Don't have a lot of counter space and my so will have to stash this away for sure
I bought 4800 model at CTC when they had 200 for 50$ GC. It had a roll of bags and some ziplock bags.
Highly suggest the Mason Jar attachments.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18471 posts
26485 upvotes
ONTARIO
bouche wrote: I am really curious about the various third-party bags that are being posted. Particularly these rolls - https://www.amazon.ca/Large-Vacuum-Seal ... FDRBRH4RGK

Those who've used various bags, are there any limitations or drawbacks to using non-branded versions? What is the most important quality to look out for?
No not really. Maybe the FoodSaver rolls will be a bit thicker depending on the generic ones you buy. Never had any issues with using thinner generic rolls though. Always stays vacuumed.
One other thing generic have over foodsaver rolls is the texture used in the plastic.

FoodSaver uses a wavy line pattern texture in their plastic. You can only vacuum seal bags from one direction with this type.
The generics I've used use more of a crosshatch texture design. This design allows you to vacuum from any direction and the vacuum sealer will still be able to pull air out.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
LNahid2000 wrote: I've been thinking about buying one of these for a while since I often want to buy on sale meat in large quantities without freezing it. What's the advantage of this model vs a sub $100 model?
For me, I'd go with the manual model if I was forced to buy a FoodSaver.
The automatic ones use quite a bit more bag to seal properly and even with 3rd party bags, every inch costs quite a bit of money.
f2c2sd5g wrote: Is this worth the price? Buying meat in bulk and freezing them didn't work very well for me (meat began to develop weird taste) Would using this alleviate that?
This particular unit? I would say no.
But I've had a terrible run with FoodSavers.

Vacuum packaging in general? Easily yes.
My chamber vac is single handedly the best culinary related purchase I've ever made in my life.
Nothing goes bad any more and due to the cheap bag cost, it's cheap to preserve basically everything.
Under straight refrigeration, I can get easily a couple (3+) weeks out of pork/beef and upwards of 2-3 weeks with chicken.
So i can easily buy in bulk and keep it refrigerated instead of frozen.

I've easily paid for my machine and all 4000 bags in the first 6 months of owning it.
BobSagget wrote: So is this a good deal at the $130 price tag?
I mean... if you consider the life time cost of this unit, I would say no.
It' is FAR cheaper up front due to the "low" machine cost, but the quality of the machines is terrible. I've spent about a grand over the last decade on FoodSavers because they keep breaking on me.
Bags are also quite a bit more.
Plus the quality of seals (especially under sous vide) is AWFUL. I've had to triple seal my bags to prevent leaks.
This also eats up bag length.

It's obviously not in the same league, but an entry level chamber sealer (Vacmaster VP112 for example) is 5x more expensive ($450USD right now which is about $600CAD) but you're getting a commercial quality unit.
Bags are also significantly cheaper with my cheapest bags being $0.04 and most expensive bags being $0.12.
Compared to $0.10 to $0.20 per bag more for the channel bags.
It doesn't seem like much, but it adds up quick.
Plus due to the low cost, it's more cost effective to seal small quantities of food so more things get preserved.
You'd never save $1 worth of nuts in a bag that costs $0.25. But if the bag costs $0.04 you're more likely to do it.

With my FoodSaver I'd average maybe 2-3 seals a week.
With my Chamber I'd average 2-3 seals per day.

I have the cheaper v2060 model that I bought on clearance from Walmart a year and a half ago. Still working like a champ. Would perhaps like a more automated system though.
Automation also costs more money because the mechanism uses additional bag length to seal properly.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2949 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
^thanks death hawk for the food for thought. I might hold out for a vac chamber. Hopefully one will go on sale. Will have a hard time explain to the wife that I want an even more expensive machine now considering she question the food saver already.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)