• Jan 2nd, 2020 8:44 pm
[OP]
Nov 5, 2011
16 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto

[Costco] FoodSaver® FM2010 $69.99 costco.ca

Everything you need in one starter kit

Keep food fresh up to 5x longer with the FoodSaver® FM2010 vacuum sealing system. This countertop FoodSaver® ships with everything you need to begin vacuum sealing food for storage, freezing or refrigeration. Start right away; this vacuum sealer starter kit includes a countertop vacuum sealer, vacuum sealer bags, rolls and zipper bags.

Features:
Airtight heat seal
Patented removable drip tray
3-position easy-lock latch closure

Includes:
3 FoodSaver® quart bags
2 FoodSaver® gallon bags
2 FoodSaver® quart zipper bags
1 FoodSaver® 27.94 cm × 25.4 cm (11 in. × 10 ft.) roll
65 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
This is about as much as I'd pay for a Foodsaver.

Not that it's an easy sell, but a chamber sealer is a MUCH better value long term.
Bags are significantly cheaper and the quality of the machine is higher.

I went through a half dozen food savers over a decade and wish I knew about chambers when I bought my first one.

The short of it is that if you can throw about a grand at the problem, you're set basically for the next 5 years in terms of a machine and bags.
It sounds absurd, but I've sold a few people on this idea and they've been happy.
Dec 25, 2006
564 posts
418 upvotes
Winnipeg
death_hawk wrote: This is about as much as I'd pay for a Foodsaver.

Not that it's an easy sell, but a chamber sealer is a MUCH better value long term.

I went through a half dozen food savers over a decade and wish I knew about chambers when I bought my first one.

The short of it is that if you can throw about a grand at the problem, you're set basically for the next 5 years in terms of a machine and bags.
It sounds absurd, but I've sold a few people on this idea and they've been happy.
I think it depends upon your usage. I've got a V2244 that I've put more than 600 bags through over the last 4 or so years. Works flawlessly, is small and easy to put away. I buy 600 bags at a time and share with friends for about $130. The machine itself was $80 iirc.
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2805 posts
522 upvotes
Ontario
Cool
Whats the cheapest on bags?
¨°º©oVelox, Versutus, Vigilanso©º°¨
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2013
1402 posts
614 upvotes
EDMONTON
CouponKindaGuy wrote: Cool
Whats the cheapest on bags?

Freshlocker on amazon.

Freshlocker Vacuum Sealer Bags 100pcs 8"x12" Sous Vide Food Bags 4 mil Embossed Commercial Grade BPA Free Reusable Food Saver Bags Rolls for Food Preservation and Sous Vide https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0741RR1CY/ref ... 9DbXJSG5G3

They have 2 sizes, lots of 100, I got my bags yesterday and used them and they seem to be a tad thinner but are just as effective. Made of the same materials and 5 layers just like food saver. I ordered one of each size of that amazon linked one and the quantity is WAY more than you will get buying food saver brand.

Otherwise the costco box of food saver branded bags goes on sale a couple times a year for $40 I think. You get 3 rolls and then a couple dozen bags.
Oct 16, 2008
441 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
Great find op been looking for a sale on Foodsaver
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
2500 posts
2391 upvotes
Montreal

Mine broke twice too so I opened it up and fixed it for 1$ twice... Its cheap yes, but anyone can fix these machine.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2305 posts
1882 upvotes
Markham
queenofhearts wrote: I was also looking at this one last night ...don’t know which is “ better?

https://www.costco.ca/foodsaver-fresh-f ... 49723.html
Depends on your needs. The OP’s I would imagine would be better for longer term storage in the freezer and if you sous-vide, you could drop those right in.

The one you linked would be ok I guess if you want to store items better suited for containers.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Sep 26, 2015
566 posts
285 upvotes
It it the same price in the warehouse? If they even carry the same model?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
warpdwhim wrote: I think it depends upon your usage. I've got a V2244 that I've put more than 600 bags through over the last 4 or so years. Works flawlessly, is small and easy to put away. I buy 600 bags at a time and share with friends for about $130. The machine itself was $80 iirc.
That works out to about $0.22/bag. How big are they?
My largest bag is about half of that. Anything smaller is 3-4x.
Obviously you won't realize savings right away, but with the much cheaper bag you tend to seal more things more often without regard to cost of the bags.

At $0.22/bag it's not really worth savings $1 worth of nuts or something, but at $0.04 it's much more viable.
But I also suspect that $0.22 is a large bag which you wouldn't use for something small so that's not really a fair comparison.
Jun 7, 2009
179 posts
47 upvotes

What chamber sealer(s) would you recommend?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4002 posts
1600 upvotes
What is the difference between this one and the more expensive ones?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
robot123 wrote: What chamber sealer(s) would you recommend?
VP112S is a great entry level.
Mine has seen a couple thousand uses now without issues.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18848 posts
27156 upvotes
ONTARIO
I've literally gone through 3 foodsavers and zero of them have ever broke on me. I only went through 3 because I upgraded to a newer model with better features. That said, even adding up the cost of those 3 is still only a fraction of the cost of a chamber vacuum system.

Going out and dropping like a thousand bucks on a chamber vacuum sealer is crazy unless you're running a business. Even if the bags are cheaper. Unless you're going to be vacuuming thousands of things every year, it's not going to be worth it even if your $70-$150 foodsaver breaks on you in 2 years.

I've been using the FM5440 model I got from Costco for over 2 years now without a single issue. I use 3rd party bags from Amazon (like someone mentioned, Freshlocker is a good one and TINVOO is good too).
Feb 1, 2009
270 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
I throw things in ziplock bags then directly in the freezer. It works well enough and I don’t think I have sensitive enough tastebuds to tell the difference between this method and a food saver. But that’s just me.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2305 posts
1882 upvotes
Markham
roofster wrote: I throw things in ziplock bags then directly in the freezer. It works well enough and I don’t think I have sensitive enough tastebuds to tell the difference between this method and a food saver. But that’s just me.
Ziplocks are perfectly fine, though I would suggest the water displacement method if you have trouble getting as much air out of the bag as possible.

These vacuum bags are just easier to get the air out. Food will last longer and reduce freezer burn mostly because people don’t always properly bag items when using Ziplock.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Feb 7, 2010
241 posts
48 upvotes
Kingston
For someone who is looking to get into sous vide cooking, but has yet to adopt a platfrom. Would you recommend this route to go for air locking their food to cook?

I was thinking of getting the Anova entire system, but that runs upwards to $300 with sealer and cooker and all....
Jul 15, 2009
505 posts
1078 upvotes
Toronto
HDawg wrote: Ziplocks are perfectly fine, though I would suggest the water displacement method if you have trouble getting as much air out of the bag as possible.

These vacuum bags are just easier to get the air out. Food will last longer and reduce freezer burn mostly because people don’t always properly bag items when using Ziplock.

Works for me. Doesn't take up any space (I just fill the sink with water). Doesn't break down. No exorbitantly-priced proprietary single use bags to buy. Can take out a portion and reseal in the same bag after each use.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: I've literally gone through 3 foodsavers and zero of them have ever broke on me. I only went through 3 because I upgraded to a newer model with better features. That said, even adding up the cost of those 3 is still only a fraction of the cost of a chamber vacuum system.
I'm not sure what models you've had in the past, but for me it's varied between $50 and $200.
If you average out let's say a pair of $150s and a $50 that's already $350.
It's a time machine thing, but VP112 used to be $450USD which is $600. $250 isn't really that much when you consider cost of bags.
Now that the machine is closer to $700USD, it's a much tougher pill to swallow.

Going out and dropping like a thousand bucks on a chamber vacuum sealer is crazy unless you're running a business. Even if the bags are cheaper. Unless you're going to be vacuuming thousands of things every year, it's not going to be worth it even if your $70-$150 foodsaver breaks on you in 2 years.
I went through 6 in 10 years. I literally could have paid for a chamber.
I didn't look into fixing it (I probably should have based on a poster above) but I also had the same mind set of "$1000! That's far too expensive"
But it's a buy once cry once type thing.
Plus $1000 (at the time) included enough bags to last you years. The machine itself was only $600. It just made more economical sense to buy the whole thing at once.

Since buying a chamber, I'm averaging about 2.5 to 3 things per day, which is close to a thousand a year.
I don't actually do 3 things a day, but more like 25 in a weekend then nothing for a couple days.
I've been using the FM5440 model I got from Costco for over 2 years now without a single issue. I use 3rd party bags from Amazon (like someone mentioned, Freshlocker is a good one and TINVOO is good too).
It's definitely not an easy sell, but if you do the math on it it used to work out.
Maybe not so much now with the price increase. $350USD difference is a lot.