• Apr 22nd, 2020 5:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2385 posts
1954 upvotes
Markham

[Costco] Foodsaver Food Preservation System (FM2010-033) $69.99

Since picking up my Anova Sous Vide last month, I’ve been on the hunt for a vacuum sealer to get started. Didn’t want to spend a lot and was searching for something under $100. Found a bunch on Amazon but never pulled the trigger.

While searching for some beneficial nematodes of all things over at Costco, I stumbled across the FoodSaver Food Preservation System for $70. It’s pretty no frills, but appears to do what I need it to do. No moist mode, so you’ll need to freeze whatever it is you’re sealing ahead of time so it doesn’t make a mess and mess up the seal. Looks like it’s also all in for vacuum seal so I probably would try to seal delicate foods if your concerned about it getting crushed.

Anyhow, main trigger for me to jump on this is Costco’s warranty and service which I’ll take any day over Amazon. From their site:

Product Details
Everything you need in one starter kit

Keep food fresh up to 5x longer with the FoodSaver® FM2010 vacuum sealing system. This countertop FoodSaver® ships with everything you need to begin vacuum sealing food for storage, freezing or refrigeration. Start right away; this vacuum sealer starter kit includes a countertop vacuum sealer, vacuum sealer bags, rolls and zipper bags.

Features:
Airtight heat seal
Patented removable drip tray
3-position easy-lock latch closure

Includes:
3 FoodSaver® quart bags
2 FoodSaver® gallon bags
2 FoodSaver® quart zipper bags
1 FoodSaver® 27.94 cm × 25.4 cm (11 in. × 10 ft.) roll

Specifications:
Dimensions (L × W × H): 42.5 cm × 14.6 cm × 10 cm (16.8 in. × 5.8 in. × 4 in.)
Weight: 1.82 kg (4 lb.)

Model: FM2010033

https://www.costco.ca/foodsaver-food-pr ... 22752.html

No end date but it’s one of their Hot Buys. Looks like this retails anywhere from $105 to $150 depending where you shop. I haven’t seen this in the warehouse.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
21 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4139 posts
1692 upvotes
I think it's been at that price since at least boxing day?

It's a good price but too bad you weren't here for the London Drugs deal during boxing week, 30 dollars for a similar unit!

Definitely a useful tool for sous vide cooking :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2385 posts
1954 upvotes
Markham
I found that same thread though it was marked as expired.

Anyhow, it’s there now, same price for months or not I guess but still cheaper than most places and has the Costco warranty.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Dec 10, 2009
330 posts
525 upvotes
I got one of these during the $29.99 LD Boxing Day special. I got it for sous vide but I eventually found out you don’t need a perfect seal for sous vide. I just squeeze out as much air as I can out of the bags.
Nov 10, 2017
21 posts
9 upvotes
I got one from LD also a few months ago but for those without a time machine, this is good also. Plus, it’s from Costco like the OP says.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2385 posts
1954 upvotes
Markham
Up until now, I've been using standard Ziplock freezer bags and it works just fine with air displacement also. That said, I'm planning to do a leg of lamb, bone-in, so I had been on the search now for something that can allow me to use a roll to seal.

I saw the London Drugs deal when I searched. Wish I had the foresight to go for that.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
May 27, 2005
120 posts
20 upvotes
Markham
Really enjoy having a Foodsaver to use with my Anova Sous Vide. Perfect for freezing portions of pre-seasoned meats that can go straight into the water bath from the freezer. Only wish I bought one years ago!

The model I have from Costco is higher-end than this one with the separate vacuum attachment. I've never used it however, so a regular model would likely be just as useful.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7347 posts
452 upvotes
Port Moody
HN12345 wrote: Darn, I bought the more advanced one in-store for $150 https://www.costco.ca/foodsaver-2-in-1- ... 20913.html

Probably could have just gotten away with this model here.
Yup and with the cash save have gotten $70 worth of protein.

Just ordered this one as our 13 yr old one is done. Requires to much pressure on top while sealing.

I will take this deal, cheap enough w the bags and I don't have a time machine:)
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4139 posts
1692 upvotes
HDawg wrote: Up until now, I've been using standard Ziplock freezer bags and it works just fine with air displacement also. That said, I'm planning to do a leg of lamb, bone-in, so I had been on the search now for something that can allow me to use a roll to seal.

I saw the London Drugs deal when I searched. Wish I had the foresight to go for that.
Ziploc bags are fine but vacuum sealed bags are incredible and can keep meat good for 2 years in the freezer
Mar 30, 2016
235 posts
181 upvotes
I loved my foodsaver before the social isolation but even more so now. I can go weeks without grocery shopping and the meat tastes fantastic!
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
3449 posts
4897 upvotes
BC
Where do you guys buy your bags? Running low
Mar 5, 2016
917 posts
671 upvotes
peakingduck wrote: Where do you guys buy your bags? Running low
I bought some from Amazon a few years ago and now I'm definitely running out. I do have a couple of Foodsaver rolls and bags (from Costco, they go on sale every now and then).

I have an automatic upright vacuum sealer, similar to the higher end Foodsaver one. One thing I hate about the upright version is that you cannot effectively just seal the bag without vacuuming. When you do get it to work, you end up having to cut a bag a few inches longer than you need. Sometimes I have a need to do that and I just cannot get it to work. I recommend the traditional sealers like this one.

I also got one for sous vide but I find that I use this way more for non sous vide applications (just for storage). I recommend it for all users.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19104 posts
27525 upvotes
ONTARIO
HDawg wrote: I'm considering these:

https://www.amazon.ca/TINVOO-Vacuum-Com ... =1-12&th=1

120' (two 11"x60'). A friend told me I shouldn't bother with 8" bags.
I started using TINVOO branded bags in December of last year and am not really impressed with their quality compared to other brands (like freshlocker). Too many randomly lose their vacuum over time for some reason. Not sure if they are just cheap and too thin so they become easily punctured or what, but I probably wouldn't buy them again once I run out.
Sep 14, 2009
584 posts
255 upvotes
Vancouver
BobSagget wrote: I started using TINVOO branded bags in December of last year and am not really impressed with their quality compared to other brands (like freshlocker). Too many randomly lose their vacuum over time for some reason. Not sure if they are just cheap and too thin so they become easily punctured or what, but I probably wouldn't buy them again once I run out.
Thanks for the review. Anyone have other suggestions for less pricey rolls?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2385 posts
1954 upvotes
Markham
BobSagget wrote: I started using TINVOO branded bags in December of last year and am not really impressed with their quality compared to other brands (like freshlocker). Too many randomly lose their vacuum over time for some reason. Not sure if they are just cheap and too thin so they become easily punctured or what, but I probably wouldn't buy them again once I run out.
Thanks for this. Freshlocker was also on my list. I guess I was a little mislead as both TINVOO and Freshlocker say they are 5 ply so I figured it was apples to apples.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19104 posts
27525 upvotes
ONTARIO
HDawg wrote: Thanks for this. Freshlocker was also on my list. I guess I was a little mislead as both TINVOO and Freshlocker say they are 5 ply so I figured it was apples to apples.
Yeah I am not sure what the issue is. They don't really feel too different than freshlocker, but I know previously to these TINVOO bags, I was using freshlocker branded ones and never had a single issue in the 100 pack I went through.
With the TINVOO I am noticing after like 1 in 5 will lose it's vacuum over time for some reason.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1917 posts
1769 upvotes
Montréal
I use regular ziplocs for sous-vide and it works fine. I do make sure the opening doesn't go under the water too though