Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Freedom 4 ft. × 8 ft. Single Axle, 3-in-1 Folding Utility Trailer Kit - $699.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2020 11:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
4022 posts
2568 upvotes
Toronto

[Costco] Freedom 4 ft. × 8 ft. Single Axle, 3-in-1 Folding Utility Trailer Kit - $699.99

Online Price 869.99 $
Less 170.00 $ -
Your Price
699.99$

$170 OFF

Price Reduction from 04/20/20 to 04/26/20.
Shipping & Handling Included

https://www.costco.ca/freedom-4-ft.-%C3 ... 35723.html

TSC sells it for $1299.99 (not sure if they PM):

https://www.tscstores.com/FREEDOM-3-IN- ... 46892.aspx
Features:

Load capacity: 780.2 kg (1,720 lb.)
Powder coat black enamel finish steel frame
GVW: 898.1 kg (1,980 lb.)
5.1 cm × 5.1 cm (2 in. × 2 in.) high tongue
Cross members 2.5 mm channel structure
Single axle
Leaf spring suspension
Quick-release lock pin
Wheel fenders
Easy lube hubs
5.1 mm (2 in.) class 1 coupler, 1,587.6 kg (3,500 lb.) max rating
Bolt-on safety chains
Customizable to flat bed, closed box or regular tailgate trailer (material sold separately)
Assembly required: can take 2 to 8 hours depending on skill level

Includes:

Wiring
C.S.A / D.O.T. compliant LED stop, turn, tail and running lights
4-prong trailer wiring connector
5.1 mm (2 in.) coupler
Wheel fenders
Bolt-on safety chains
Upright rolling casters

Specifications:

Bed dimensions (L × W): 1.2 m × 2.4 m (4 ft. × 8 ft.)
Weight: 120.2 kg (265 lb.)
Channel frame structure: 3.8 cm × 7.6 cm × 8.9 cm (1.5 in. × 3 in. × 3.5 in.)
Tires: 5.30 × 12
Images
  • trailer1.jpg
  • trailer2.jpg
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 22nd, 2020 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: resized images
37 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1422 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto
Really tempted to pick this up. Any first hand experience with this?
Mar 2, 2014
127 posts
777 upvotes
Halifax
Can i put an ATV/quad on this if i built a plywood deck for this trailer?
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
1569 posts
191 upvotes
This requires a different license plate right?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2959 posts
3294 upvotes
says you can buy the closed box accessories but I cannot find that anywhere.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2926 posts
281 upvotes
I have a trailer myself
What can you carry on that thing as is?
RFD Damage...lost count

HEATWARE
eBay
Feb 14, 2006
549 posts
479 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
bigbug wrote: This requires a different license plate right?
In NS both inspection and registration. Other provinces may vary. Moved the tail lights 4 times over last decade to keep passing inspections, so check local code before just connecting things
Jul 23, 2015
53 posts
40 upvotes
rajanprash wrote: Can i put an ATV/quad on this if i built a plywood deck for this trailer?
On the website "The Freedom 3-in-1 folding utility trailer is large enough to use for a number of transportation requirements. The bed tilts all the way to the ground for easy loading. Ideal for landscaping and construction, and can also be used for outdoor sports equipment such as ATVs, boats, motor bikes or just moving things around. It also saves space and stores easily by folding up when not in use. When folded and upright, it easily rolls on the provided casters and takes less than 60 cm (2 ft.) of space in width."
Oct 14, 2014
125 posts
224 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Towing noob here - can this be used on a class 1 hitch?
I have a class 1 hitch mostly for accessories - bike rack, small platform to carry bulky (but light) items, etc. Can I use this trailer for hauling a couple of kayaks for example, or a light load of dirt/mulch?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3098 posts
2081 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, if you put a 3/4" plywood deck on this, you can put an ATV on it.

In Ontario, you just walk into the MTO and tell them you have a home made trailer. No registration needed. $40 or whatever the fee is these days and you walk out with a plate and registration papers. No inspections, no taxes, no annual sticker needed. I have 2 trailer plates I swap between my 2 utility trailers and boat trailers as needed.

This is a lot of money for what is a Harbor Freight / Princess Auto folding trailer painted black. I have the Princess Auto version that I bought used for $200.

If I was buying new, I might go to these guys instead. Save $50, support a local business and it might even be a better trailer.

$646 for the 4 x 8 model. But if I was buying, I'd spend the extra $75 and get the 5 x 8 version. That's a lot more convenient. A pain to do the decking on as you can't just buy a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood, but it's better for hauling 2 motorcycles etc. and easily worth the $75 premium.

www.htstrailers.com
Mar 11, 2018
76 posts
102 upvotes
Lethbridge, AB
odedol wrote: Towing noob here - can this be used on a class 1 hitch?
I have a class 1 hitch mostly for accessories - bike rack, small platform to carry bulky (but light) items, etc. Can I use this trailer for hauling a couple of kayaks for example, or a light load of dirt/mulch?
It has a GVW of 1,980 lbs which is less than a class 1 hitch max of 2000 lbs.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2728 posts
1959 upvotes
This is dependant on vehicle limitations.
I have a 3.5x5 trailer (300lbs)... I believe I can tow roughly 3-400lbs after trailer is hooked up and people inside.

There is a bunch of weight ratings and calculations you have to do. Just because a hitch CAN pull a certain weight doesnt mean it SHOULD pull :)
Smash that like button!
Banned
Jun 17, 2010
153 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto
torontotim wrote:
In Ontario, you just walk into the MTO and tell them you have a home made trailer. No registration needed. $40 or whatever the fee is these days and you walk out with a plate and registration papers. No inspections, no taxes, no annual sticker needed. I have 2 trailer plates I swap between my 2 utility trailers and boat trailers as needed.

A lot of people do this but the legal way to register it it is to take the NVIS to Service Ontario or whatever province you live in is. NVIS is a New Vehicle Information Sheet. It has all the info on it as to serial number and Transport Canada certification. All new vehicles be it car, truck, trailer or boat come with one. Costco will supply you with the NVIS that is specific to your trailer.
Most people go the home made route to save a 13% donation to the government but in this case the donation is mandatory so you might as well go the legal route. Down the road, if you ever get pulled over, one look and the cops know that isn't a home made trailer and if you ever want to sell it, you have legal ownership which is a very good selling point
Nov 21, 2014
38 posts
27 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
I bought one last year. Went together fairly easily with everything you need included. The instructions are terrible so check out a harbour freight trailer assembly video on YouTube for help. This is essentially the harbour freight trailer, under the black paint it's painted red. Built a wooden box and drove it around 400km without issue towing around 1000lbs. It definately handles better with more weight in it. It is very heavy so folding it is a chore, you need to remove four bolts that are not the best located.
Nov 21, 2014
38 posts
27 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
odedol wrote: Towing noob here - can this be used on a class 1 hitch?
Yes, I have this trailer, built and with a 3/4" plywood base and box weighs around 500lbs. It comes with a 2" ball receiver. Factor in your gear and weight of people in the car and stay under your weight ratings. Also note that even if your car states you can pull 1500lbs which is the common base, this is only for trailers with brakes, without brakes it's closer to 1000lbs.
Nov 21, 2014
38 posts
27 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
waven101 wrote: says you can buy the closed box accessories but I cannot find that anywhere.
Princess auto has everything you need.
Nov 21, 2014
38 posts
27 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
torontotim wrote:

Not true. I bought this trailer last year, it comes with a prefilled registration document. I took this to the MTO, got it legally plated and registered as per serial number. Plates in Ontario don't require stickers so it is a lifetime 40$ purchase.