Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Frigidaire 1.5 L (1.6 qt.) Stainless Steel Ice Cream Maker with Compressor $159.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2021 10:40 am
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
711 posts
1703 upvotes
ottawa

[Costco] Frigidaire 1.5 L (1.6 qt.) Stainless Steel Ice Cream Maker with Compressor $159.99

Time for ice cream on Costco site. There is a sale on Frigidaire 1.5 L (1.6 qt.) Stainless Steel Ice Cream Maker with Compressor $159.99, it’s $40 off regular price.
This model with a compressor, basically a mini freezer that allows to make multiple batches without pre freezing unlike, simple ice cream makers without compressors similar to the one at the bottom for $69.99 where you can make only one batch per day and then, pre freeze the bowl for another 12 hours.
Perfect for anyone who is wants to make specialty ice creams according to dietary, life style, health or other requirements and wants to control ingredients that go into their ice cream.
Personally, I have been making ice cream in similar maker but, different brand. And, my family totally enjoying experience of making our favourite and own recipes of ice cream. We paid more for ours. I would consider $159.99 is a good price for this machine.

https://www.costco.ca/frigidaire-1.5-l- ... 51007.html

ice cream maker without compressor $69.99
https://www.costco.ca/frigidaire-stainl ... 25965.html
40 replies
Nov 22, 2015
795 posts
1034 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone with insight: Is this a good VFM? We have been enjoying a tub of Kawartha Moose tracks every time we go to Costco. Would love to make some with homemade ingredients.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
711 posts
1703 upvotes
ottawa
Vasilyke wrote: Anyone with insight: Is this a good VFM? We have been enjoying a tub of Kawartha Moose tracks every time we go to Costco. Would love to make some with homemade ingredients.
It’s up to you to decide. For certain you will get arguments like “how many Kawartha Moose tracks for $160…” and others will say “why you need to go to Costco to get your Kawartha Moose tracks if you can make your own whenever…“
I own similar maker Wynter brand and never regretted buying it. Just one of those things… not really necessity but, great to own. For this price especially.
Last edited by gena_mak on Aug 23rd, 2021 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 22, 2015
795 posts
1034 upvotes
Toronto
What ingredients have you been using for your ice cream? I know that I would prefer creamy ice cream so I would need heavy cream or evaporated milk. My sibling would probably prefer something lighter with stevia and low fat milk or powdered milk? Just looking to see if you made any different recipes with different base ingredients and how that turned out.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
711 posts
1703 upvotes
ottawa
Vasilyke wrote: What ingredients have you been using for your ice cream? I know that I would prefer creamy ice cream so I would need heavy cream or evaporated milk. My sibling would probably prefer something lighter with stevia and low fat milk or powdered milk? Just looking to see if you made any different recipes with different base ingredients and how that turned out.
Our favourite chocolate ice cream is a simple one with heavy cream, milk, brown sugar and black chocolate. I add bit vanilla and lemon juice. In all my ice creams I never use regular sugar. Either I put brown sugar or honey or maple syrup. Sometimes, for fruit ice cream I experiment with egg yolks, they make ice cream more creamy. My family members make some healthy ice creams without heavy cream. I tried few they are not bad.
Nov 22, 2015
795 posts
1034 upvotes
Toronto
gena_mak wrote: Our favourite chocolate ice cream is a simple one with heavy cream, milk, brown sugar and black chocolate. I add bit vanilla and lemon juice. In all my ice creams I never use regular sugar. Either I put brown sugar or honey or maple syrup. Sometimes, for fruit ice cream I experiment with egg yolks, they make ice cream more creamy. My family members make some healthy ice creams without heavy cream. I tried few they are not bad.
Thanks for the information!
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2006
3093 posts
1119 upvotes
gena_mak wrote: Our favourite chocolate ice cream is a simple one with heavy cream, milk, brown sugar and black chocolate. I add bit vanilla and lemon juice. In all my ice creams I never use regular sugar. Either I put brown sugar or honey or maple syrup. Sometimes, for fruit ice cream I experiment with egg yolks, they make ice cream more creamy. My family members make some healthy ice creams without heavy cream. I tried few they are not bad.

What type and MF do you use for heavy cream ?

How do u do the egg yolks in the ice cream ?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
3144 posts
6413 upvotes
I had a consumer level ice cream maker with compressor in the past. It’s capacity was smaller than what was typical of one of those that you freeze the bowl in advance, and it also took much longer than the 20 mins that they did.

I have no idea how this particular model works, but my overall experience with my machine leads me to believe that outside of professional machines, the freeze bowl models are faster and cheaper with their main issues being that they require freezing the bowl ahead of time and have a long “cool down” (👈😎👈) period between batches.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
711 posts
1703 upvotes
ottawa
Daf wrote: What type and MF do you use for heavy cream ?

How do u do the egg yolks in the ice cream ?
Sealtest 35% from Costco
Separate yolks and put it into heavy cream and milk mix and stir. I use yolks only for fruit ice cream. Vanilla and chocolate usually are creamy enough
Nov 1, 2020
184 posts
334 upvotes
I've had an ice cream maker without a compressor for a few years and have never used it to make ice cream. I use it exclusively for frozen drinks and it's paid for itself many times over. The texture of the slush you get is perfect for drinking with a metal straw.

Peach Bellini: 7up, peach crystals, sparkling wine, vodka. Once it's all frozen and added to the glass I add a splash of sangria.
Sep 12, 2007
575 posts
287 upvotes
Ottawa
Vasilyke wrote: Anyone with insight: Is this a good VFM? We have been enjoying a tub of Kawartha Moose tracks every time we go to Costco. Would love to make some with homemade ingredients.
I too enjoy Kawartha ice cream, but a household ice cream maker along with the book 'The Perfect Scoop' by David Lebovitz changed my life ;-)

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/the-perfect-sco/
Oct 13, 2012
79 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
gena_mak wrote: It’s up to you to decide. For certain you will get arguments like “how many Kawartha Moose tracks for $160…” and others will say “why you need to go to Costco to get your Kawartha Moose tracks if you can make your own whenever…“
I own similar maker Wynter brand and never regretted buying it. Just one of those things… not really necessity but, great to own. For this price especially.
I am twmpted to buy, with hesitation because I can't find any reviews for this one. In looking saw great remarks re:frigidaire non compressors, and best compressor model was by Whynter, at more than $300. If I only intend on 1 batch in the same day, any comments on the non compressor version. I don't want to search for rock salt, and other inconveniences, but having to freeze a bowl first is not any bother to me,if it works. Just thinking out loud bsfore I make yet another bad gadget decision.Cheers
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3513 posts
1704 upvotes
Mississauga
I've used the kitchen aid attachment ice cream bowel a few times.. has come put great ..it's great to get the kids involved. You have the pre freeze the bowel.
Sep 23, 2007
353 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto (Downtown)
Ordered, thanks OP! Decided to take a chance on this one despite the lack of reviews, thanks to Costco's return policy.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
711 posts
1703 upvotes
ottawa
deals4ian wrote: I am twmpted to buy, with hesitation because I can't find any reviews for this one. In looking saw great remarks re:frigidaire non compressors, and best compressor model was by Whynter, at more than $300. If I only intend on 1 batch in the same day, any comments on the non compressor version. I don't want to search for rock salt, and other inconveniences, but having to freeze a bowl first is not any bother to me,if it works. Just thinking out loud bsfore I make yet another bad gadget decision.Cheers
I can’t comment on non compressor types as I have never used them. Just had some thinking about them in terms of functionality … did not work for me. I have done two batches at a time, chocolate and mango. Also, my freezer is not small but I can not accommodate a place for a tall bowl every time. It needs a lot of work re arranging thing. Another thing is if you make ice cream in the kitchen which is fairly warm place, the freezing bowl IMO would not hold as long. Few more factors play role like temperature of the mix must be low etc.
The one I have is whynter brand and I bought it on sale but, still more than this one. If I were on the market for ice cream machine now, I would buy this one. Plus, buying from Costco make it safer.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1656 posts
1062 upvotes
Montreal
I regret getting an ice cream maker. My family now refuses to eat store bought ice cream and they keep hounding me to make more. It's somewhat tedious, but I keep coming up with new flavors to make it interesting. Raspberry with chopped up Kit Kat has been a big hit.
IBM 701 | germanium diodes | 2000 multiplication or division operations per second | 2048 word memory on 72 tubes, 1024 bits per tube| 38-bit Accumulator | 36-bit Multiplier-Quotient | 2 IBM 726 magnetic tapes - 2x 2 million digit storage
Jul 11, 2007
582 posts
166 upvotes
GTA
i am on the fence, gas wasted when grocery store run out of favorite wife and kids like. this review make me thinking twice about buying a compressor ice cream maker. can anyone with experiences tell me how is the ice cream from an maker with compressor compare to the store brand such as Baskin Robin or freezer section of grocery store?

here is the review i used to educate myself.. https://www.dreamscoops.com/best-ice-cream-gelato-maker/
Sep 23, 2007
353 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto (Downtown)
gogozy wrote: i am on the fence, gas wasted when grocery store run out of favorite wife and kids like. this review make me thinking twice about buying a compressor ice cream maker. can anyone with experiences tell me how is the ice cream from an maker with compressor compare to the store brand such as Baskin Robin or freezer section of grocery store?

here is the review i used to educate myself.. https://www.dreamscoops.com/best-ice-cream-gelato-maker/
I'm not really clear how this review made you think twice about getting one. The biggest benefit of them is that there's no need to pre-freeze the bowl (or maintain space in the freezer to do so). How will it compare to what you buy at the store? Probably comparable. If all you want to do is make vanilla or chocolate ice cream, or try to replicate the flavours you buy at the store, you're honestly probably better off just buying them pre-made. I think home ice cream makers are best for one or more of: (i) when you have kids you want to entertain with it; and (ii) when you want to try flavours and styles you can't [easily] get at the store. You're unlikely to realize any meaningful cost savings if all you want to is make "regular" ice cream to eat.
Last edited by NineOne on Aug 24th, 2021 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
711 posts
1703 upvotes
ottawa
gogozy wrote: i am on the fence, gas wasted when grocery store run out of favorite wife and kids like. this review make me thinking twice about buying a compressor ice cream maker. can anyone with experiences tell me how is the ice cream from an maker with compressor compare to the store brand such as Baskin Robin or freezer section of grocery store?

I am not sure how far you want to go to compare home made foods to store bought but, one of the benefits of making your own ice cream is the knowledge of what ingredients you use to prepare your ice cream or, any other food you choose to make vs going to store and buying pre made, processed food.
I am sure the ice cream your are buying is great but, some ingredients found there might make you think.

Just read some info on what ingredient found in store bought ice cream in order to make it creamier, thicker, tastier etc.
https://www.homemadehints.com/all-natur ... am-brands/
Deal Addict
May 10, 2008
1273 posts
1299 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Thanks OP, this is a great price for a compressor ice cream maker compared to the ones I saw last time I was shopping for something like this.

I’m going to pass because can’t justify the storage space for the occasional use I’ll get out of it. I’m old now and can’t eat 2L of ice cream every 3 days anymore. But for people who can, this is a great way to make fresh and healthier frozen treats without having to plan ahead.

Enjoy! Winking Face