Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Frigidaire 1.5 L (1.6 qt.) Stainless Steel Ice Cream Maker with Compressor $159.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2021 10:40 am
Jul 11, 2007
505 posts
124 upvotes
GTA
thanks!
the review says the pre-freeze type consistently make a better tasting in his test. he mention the speed which is factor of making product creamer, or smoother, and review says one has to get a top tier compressor type to achieve similar taste from pre-freeze type maker. however I like the fact that compressor type can make batch of ice cream; with 2 kids and wife at home, allow them to making 1 ice cream at home each 24 hours is asking for trouble Face With Tears Of Joy
I also agree the ingredients part, that we can control what's go into the ice cream.
Aug 16, 2010
378 posts
182 upvotes
For those of us who are Lactards, is there anyone making "non-dairy frozen deserts" with this? I quite enjoy all of the Ben & Jerry's and So Delicious brand flavors my grocery carries. But they only sell by the pint and it's not cheap. There isn't a huge selection in flavors though. I haven't eaten ice cream for 2 decades and now I'm addicted.

https://www.godairyfree.org/product-rev ... n-desserts

I hate nothing more than looking on the internet for recipes but it look like non-dairy options are likely made with an ice cream maker too.
https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/almon ... am-recipe/
Nov 24, 2016
56 posts
46 upvotes
This machine appears to be a Frigidaire branded Curtis international machine.

https://curtisfrigidaire.com/product/1- ... cmr255-ss/

What I'm worried about from their product page is the following info.

HEAVY-DUTY MOTOR MAKES FROZEN YOGURT, ICE CREAM, SORBET OR FROZEN DRINKS. MILKSHAKE 15MIN, SOFT ICE CREAM 40MIN, HARD ICE CREAM 80MIN

The faster the freezing the creamer and smaller the ice crystals are supposed to be. This seems much slower than any machine with a compressor I've looked at.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2807 posts
549 upvotes
Vancouver
gena_mak wrote: Time for ice cream on Costco site. There is a sale on Frigidaire 1.5 L (1.6 qt.) Stainless Steel Ice Cream Maker with Compressor $159.99, it’s $40 off regular price.
This model with a compressor, basically a mini freezer that allows to make multiple batches without pre freezing unlike, simple ice cream makers without compressors similar to the one at the bottom for $69.99 where you can make only one batch per day and then, pre freeze the bowl for another 12 hours.
Perfect for anyone who is wants to make specialty ice creams according to dietary, life style, health or other requirements and wants to control ingredients that go into their ice cream.
Personally, I have been making ice cream in similar maker but, different brand. And, my family totally enjoying experience of making our favourite and own recipes of ice cream. We paid more for ours. I would consider $159.99 is a good price for this machine.

https://www.costco.ca/frigidaire-1.5-l- ... 51007.html

ice cream maker without compressor $69.99
https://www.costco.ca/frigidaire-stainl ... 25965.html
Do you just make enough to eat fresh? I have a drum one and biggest problem that I was never able to solve is when you put your made icecream in the freezer it becomes hard like a rock.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
631 posts
1434 upvotes
ottawa
xiaobao wrote: Do you just make enough to eat fresh? I have a drum one and biggest problem that I was never able to solve is when you put your made icecream in the freezer it becomes hard like a rock.
Depends on how much of natural softeners like egg yolks, heavy cream etc… you use. Also, any ice cream you put in the freezer will make it hard. The real difference is crystallization. If your ice cream is creamy with minimal or none crystallization then, it will be softer in a matter of few minutes of taking it out of the freezer. Experiment. It is hard to match store bought products, they are using components that we are trying to avoid by making our own.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
631 posts
1434 upvotes
ottawa
adv02adskdd wrote: This machine appears to be a Frigidaire branded Curtis international machine.

https://curtisfrigidaire.com/product/1- ... cmr255-ss/

What I'm worried about from their product page is the following info.

HEAVY-DUTY MOTOR MAKES FROZEN YOGURT, ICE CREAM, SORBET OR FROZEN DRINKS. MILKSHAKE 15MIN, SOFT ICE CREAM 40MIN, HARD ICE CREAM 80MIN

The faster the freezing the creamer and smaller the ice crystals are supposed to be. This seems much slower than any machine with a compressor I've looked at.

With soft ice cream quota of 40 min is pretty much inline with my Whynter machine. I doubt you will be able to drive ice cream making for 80 min. Mine makes the ice cream really hard in just about 10 more min so, around 50 min, sometimes 60 min. All depends on what temp you put your mix in and environmental factors, type of mix etc. You can’t really say 40 min this and 80 min that. As I said, in mine the product will become so hard in 50 to 60 min that the machine will stop turning.
Last edited by gena_mak on Aug 24th, 2021 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
8053 posts
4017 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
gena_mak wrote: Following the link, it’s not rebranded, it’s the same brand and model.

With soft ice cream quota of 40 min is pretty much inline with my Whynter machine. I doubt you will be able to drive ice cream making for 80 min. Mine makes the ice cream really hard in just about 10 more min so, around 50 min, sometimes 60 min. All depends on what temp you put your mix in and environmental factors, type of mix etc. You can’t really say 40 min this and 80 min that. As I said, in mine the product will become so hard in 50 to 60 min that the machine will stop turning.
I almost purchased, but then when I think about ice cream is $2.97 a bucket. It is hard to justify.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
631 posts
1434 upvotes
ottawa
theflyingsquirrel wrote: I almost purchased, but then when I think about ice cream is $2.97 a bucket. It is hard to justify.
Nothing wrong. Some people can’t justify to own a kitchen and eat out. Many reasons against, many reasons for. To me, one of many reasons it’s not just how much but, what I and my family eat. I can’t consume the amount of sugar and other fillers and calories in store bought processed foods.
Sep 23, 2007
308 posts
484 upvotes
Toronto (Downtown)
gogozy wrote: thanks!
the review says the pre-freeze type consistently make a better tasting in his test. he mention the speed which is factor of making product creamer, or smoother, and review says one has to get a top tier compressor type to achieve similar taste from pre-freeze type maker. however I like the fact that compressor type can make batch of ice cream; with 2 kids and wife at home, allow them to making 1 ice cream at home each 24 hours is asking for trouble Face With Tears Of Joy
I also agree the ingredients part, that we can control what's go into the ice cream.
Ah interesting. For me personally, the convenience of not having to pre-freeze the bowl outweighs any difference in the final product. Ultimately if this one doesn't get me a quality of ice cream I'm happy with, it'll just go right back to Costco.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
631 posts
1434 upvotes
ottawa
NineOne wrote: Ah interesting. For me personally, the convenience of not having to pre-freeze the bowl outweighs any difference in the final product. Ultimately if this one doesn't get me a quality of ice cream I'm happy with, it'll just go right back to Costco.
The machine is dumb. It might just be a matter of finding right recipe that will work. Also, do not discount environmental factors like ambient temperature, mix temperature, water hardness… experimenting is the key
Apr 28, 2010
275 posts
421 upvotes
richmond hill
Just another thing to have stored in the basement to be used a couple times a year for the first year and then broken the next…
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3609 posts
1674 upvotes
Vancouver
louis77 wrote: Just another thing to have stored in the basement to be used a couple times a year for the first year and then broken the next…
Yeah I was just thinking that I didn't even bring out my ice shaving machine during this summer's great wave, haha. I probably would forget about this as well.

Thanks to OP anyway.
Jan 22, 2017
92 posts
61 upvotes
Montreal
deals4ian wrote: I am twmpted to buy, with hesitation because I can't find any reviews for this one. In looking saw great remarks re:frigidaire non compressors, and best compressor model was by Whynter, at more than $300. If I only intend on 1 batch in the same day, any comments on the non compressor version. I don't want to search for rock salt, and other inconveniences, but having to freeze a bowl first is not any bother to me,if it works. Just thinking out loud bsfore I make yet another bad gadget decision.Cheers
I’ve had a non compressor (freezer bowl) Fridgidaire for years and have made countless ice creams and sorbets…. Cost per use in the pennies now and makes the best Ice cream. What the compressor gets you is you can whip up a batch without planning in advance (since the bowl requires 24hrs of freezing) and you can do multiple batches consecutively. I’ve solve this by always leaving my bowl in the freezer to be ready and getting a second bowl. So a compressor is nice to have and if you can afford one then for sure get it, not it is not a as necessity. Some folks say the texture may be better.
Jan 22, 2017
92 posts
61 upvotes
Montreal
xiaobao wrote: Do you just make enough to eat fresh? I have a drum one and biggest problem that I was never able to solve is when you put your made icecream in the freezer it becomes hard like a rock.
Custard based using egg yolks make for more scoopable ice cream from the freezer. Also sometimes I’ll add 1-2tbs of vodka (or any alcohol)to prevent it being rock hard….that amount you can’t tell it’s in there. If I make rum and raisin ice cream , it’s always scoopable right out of freezer
Feb 20, 2009
141 posts
71 upvotes
Would I be able to make frozen yogurt with this?
Dec 26, 2006
310 posts
308 upvotes
I’ve had the cuisinart freezer bowl-type ice cream maker for a few years. Got it from Costco in store once for about $45. Really good investment. If I didn’t have it I’d be all over this. While I can’t speak to the compressor quality, as that’s probably most important for longevity, Ice cream makers are super good to try out and make your own ice cream. If you have the room to pack it when not using, and it’s a reasonable price like this why not? The freezer bowl in the fridge takes 24 hours to freeze and is good for one load. I can’t complain. This would be nice though. The price seems pretty good.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28124 posts
13717 upvotes
Vasilyke wrote: Anyone with insight: Is this a good VFM?
This is by far the cheapest compressor based ice cream machine I've ever seen.
Bonus points being sold by a reputable retailer if the compressor goes.
I'm tempted to buy 2 of them since it's the same money as one typically is.

Noobzilla wrote: I regret getting an ice cream maker. My family now refuses to eat store bought ice cream and they keep hounding me to make more.
Everything else tastes cheap because you have no concept of food cost when making it.
That includes HD and Ben&Jerrys.
And as you said, you can make any flavor you want.
tweebs2 wrote: For those of us who are Lactards,
I actually laughed.
I have made ice cream for a lactose intolerant friend of mine by putting the liquid drops into the dairy and leaving it overnight. Then churned as normal.
Seemed to work. Now you can have real ice cream without the lactose.
xiaobao wrote: I was never able to solve is when you put your made icecream in the freezer it becomes hard like a rock.
Ice cream freezers are meant to be slightly warmer because ice cream doesn't like "regular" freezer temperatures.
theflyingsquirrel wrote: I almost purchased, but then when I think about ice cream is $2.97 a bucket. It is hard to justify.
Homemade ice cream isn't about cost. It's about quality.
My raw cost is about $5-8/L. You can buy a 4L bucket of "ice cream" for $3.

The difference is that yours probably doesn't contain cream (or if it does, it's the minimum allowed by law) and has a ton of gums/stabilizers and a butt ton of overrun. So your 4L melts into basically nothing because it's all air.

Compared that to homemade with is more like 20% overrun, has things like *GASP* cream, and real ingredients.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Mar 21, 2011
98 posts
6 upvotes
Surrey
Hi all, mine just came in. In the bucket there is these 4 black dots that look like anti skid feet but I have no idea where it goes. The instruction manual also doesn't mention it, anybody know? Thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
4186 posts
497 upvotes
Toronto
Corex5 wrote: Hi all, mine just came in. In the bucket there is these 4 black dots that look like anti skid feet but I have no idea where it goes. The instruction manual also doesn't mention it, anybody know? Thanks!
You put them on the bottom 4 legs
Sep 9, 2018
342 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
If you own this machine and like coffee try espresso, milk and sugar. I used to buy Second Cup Chillers daily for $5 a pop, now I make them at home.