• Mar 3rd, 2019 5:46 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes

Costco - Frustrating.

Warning: Rant ahead.

I am very frustrated when I checkout at Costco, as I did again today. I went ahead with a large sum of purchases, mostly because of the price of wild seafood, and also because I do my once a year run of daily consumables. The bill was almost 4 figures, but that's beside the point.

As usual, the checkout lady tries to convince me to upgrade my Costco membership (the return doesn't make sense), and then the Costco Mastercard person runs over to get me to signup. I tried to be polite, but at that point I was madly packing, and then chirped something along the lines of "back off. I get a better return on my MC so stop pestering me!"

All this to state - I'm really frustrated when I checkout at Costco. Does anyone else feel the same way? I wish they would just leave us alone.

I suspect that they are commissioned or have some sort of quota (both for the MC and for the Costco Executive? member signups or whatnot. Anyone know for sure?)

On an unrelated note:

I have noticed that several items that used to be great to buy at Costco no longer are. Shampoo/body wash/mouth wash, etc, all barely net any savings at Costco vs Walmart. I need to re-think my Costco membership!
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
76 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
You're chapped because a cashier asked you to upgrade and someone pitched a credit card?

I'm bitter too, but even this is a little petty for me considering quite a few stores do at least one or the other.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4578 posts
1999 upvotes
AB
angryaudifanatic wrote: Warning: Rant ahead.
I am very frustrated when I checkout at Costco, as I did again today. I went ahead with a large sum of purchases, mostly because of the price of wild seafood, and also because I do my once a year run of daily consumables. The bill was almost 4 figures, but that's beside the point.
As usual, the checkout lady tries to convince me to upgrade my Costco membership (the return doesn't make sense), and then the Costco Mastercard person runs over to get me to signup. I tried to be polite, but at that point I was madly packing, and then chirped something along the lines of "back off. I get a better return on my MC so stop pestering me!"
All this to state - I'm really frustrated when I checkout at Costco. Does anyone else feel the same way? I wish they would just leave us alone.
I suspect that they are commissioned or have some sort of quota (both for the MC and for the Costco Executive? member signups or whatnot. Anyone know for sure?)
If a person spends more than $6000 per year, in store & online combined, then the $120 membership is free, because of the 2% cashback.
The credit card might be on commission, but I'm not sure about the executive membership. I tend to think that seeing a person with high purchases, I would've also suggested upgrading to Executive, for the cashback benefit.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
ciuvak wrote: If a person spends more than $6000 per year, in store & online combined, then the $120 membership is free, because of the 2% cashback.
The credit card might be on commission, but I'm not sure about the executive membership. I tend to think that seeing a person with high purchases, I would've also suggested upgrading to Executive, for the cashback benefit.
You're right. I'm spending, maybe, at best $1500/year and they are assuming I spend >$6000, or just enough to make it worthwhile. Those assumptions are what is aggravating me. Costco is already "overwhelming" enough with the large crowds, long lines, and such. Personally, I just want to get in, do my thing, and get out, and I suspect most shoppers are the same.

Anyway - apologies for the rant. I just really needed to get it off my chest.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
ciuvak wrote: The credit card might be on commission, but I'm not sure about the executive membership.
There may not be commissions but there are sales targets.
You can see them on white boards on occasion near the officey area.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: You're chapped because a cashier asked you to upgrade and someone pitched a credit card?

I'm bitter too, but even this is a little petty for me considering quite a few stores do at least one or the other.
Truth be told if it was once every, say, 5 runs, I'd be fine with that. But this is happening every single time, and while I was dressed in professional business attire, I also don't carry a fancy handbag. I have no idea why they would think a single lady spends $6K a year based on what I was buying.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote: You're right. I'm spending, maybe, at best $1500/year and they are assuming I spend >$6000, or just enough to make it worthwhile. Those assumptions are what is aggravating me.
I mean... it would be fair to assume that.
Very few people shop there once a year.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I mean... it would be fair to assume that.
Very few people shop there once a year.
Seriously? (I don't mean this condescendingly - it's an earnest question). I shop there once, or twice a year. Most couples with kids shop there 4x a year. That's still, at my rate, extrapolated to roughly $3000 at most, HALF of where the breakeven point makes sense for the top tier Costco membership.

Maybe they are preying on folks who don't know how to do the math? That said, I am surprised (respectfully) by your comment. I didn't know going to Costco was a regular occurrence for most folks.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 3, 2006
5546 posts
3065 upvotes
Winnipeg
angryaudifanatic wrote: Seriously? (I don't mean this condescendingly - it's an earnest question). I shop there once, or twice a year. Most couples with kids shop there 4x a year. That's still, at my rate, extrapolated to roughly $3000 at most, HALF of where the breakeven point makes sense for the top tier Costco membership.

Maybe they are preying on folks who don't know how to do the math? That said, I am surprised (respectfully) by your comment. I didn't know going to Costco was a regular occurrence for most folks.
Most couples with kids shop there 4 times per year... Where do you get that statistic from?
This isn't a blog.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
jcon wrote: Most couples with kids shop there 4 times per year... Where do you get that statistic from?
One of the COST' earnings call in 2018.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1599 posts
631 upvotes
Toronto
I go to Costco maybe twice a month mostly for perishables. I find that their fruits and veggies are well priced and the quality of the meats are also very good so I prefer to purchase those from Costco vs the other stores.

A lot of people I know go to Costco as a form of entertainment (maybe not on the weekends) so it's not uncommon for them to go once or twice a week even. They definitely aren't outliers. The lines on the weekends themselves are indicative that people are there fairly often.

I've been asked if I wanted to get a Costco MC once. They definitely aren't as aggressive as the Walmart cashiers who push their garbage walmart card and try to convince me that the 1% cash back that they offer is better than the 2% I get from my current MC. They seem to like to throw in the "but you get a $25 welcome bonus!" as if it was the best deal ever. I've gotten into the habit now of telling them that I applied and was declined. There's usually no follow up response to that.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4578 posts
1999 upvotes
AB
There are lots people who go once per week, or at least once per month.
Last edited by ciuvak on Feb 28th, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 3, 2006
5546 posts
3065 upvotes
Winnipeg
angryaudifanatic wrote: One of the COST' earnings call in 2018.
I would be curious to read that. I haven't seen that statistic and wonder how it's derived.
This isn't a blog.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote: Seriously? (I don't mean this condescendingly - it's an earnest question). I shop there once, or twice a year.
Back in the day even when there wasn't a Costco in my town (nearest was 1:38 or 2:18 drive depending on direction) I shopped there more than twice a year.
Hell I had a Sam's Club membership that I used more than that and that was in a different country.

I have no hard statistics to back up either argument, shopping there less than once a month assuming you're in the same town as one is shocking to say the least.

Most couples with kids shop there 4x a year.
I'd be surprised at this one too.
That's still, at my rate, extrapolated to roughly $3000 at most, HALF of where the breakeven point makes sense for the top tier Costco membership.
I'm fairly sure you're the outlier here.
As mentioned, I have no actual data to back this up, but there's very few stores (in general) that I can think of that I shop at only once or twice a year.
Maybe they are preying on folks who don't know how to do the math? That said, I am surprised (respectfully) by your comment.
It's fairly well outlined. Spend $6000 on not gas/pharmacy/a few other things and break even.
Or spend $3000 to "break even" with a regular membership and make a few bucks beyond $3000.
So even with your spend of $3000, it costs you nothing. At $3001, you make $0.02 over a regular membership.
I didn't know going to Costco was a regular occurrence for most folks.
Until this post I didn't know there were people only going once a year.
I think even @JoeStale goes more than that despite how much he hates that store.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
Wow, I never would have guessed my 'rant' thread would turn into an education experience for me. Granted on the earnings call they were talking about Costco US. Clearly, it would appear based on feedback I've learned from this thread that not only do Costco Canada shoppers shop there regularly, but some even enjoy going there.

I dread going to Costco as much as I dread dealing with a recent law graduate. Seriously - both are immensely painful for me!
death_hawk wrote:
So even with your spend of $3000, it costs you nothing. At $3001, you make $0.02 over a regular membership.
Even with that logic, I refuse to signup, because I will subconsciously buy more because I'm trying to maximize that membership. Maybe some have the discipline but I don't, I think.
Last edited by angryaudifanatic on Feb 28th, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
3026 posts
1670 upvotes
B.C.
angryaudifanatic wrote: Seriously? (I don't mean this condescendingly - it's an earnest question). I shop there once, or twice a year. Most couples with kids shop there 4x a year. That's still, at my rate, extrapolated to roughly $3000 at most, HALF of where the breakeven point makes sense for the top tier Costco membership.

I only know one person who goes a few times a year - and that was 15 years ago before they had kids or got married. Most people I know go weekly or maybe every two weeks. On the low side some people might only go once a month. My brother in law goes about once a month and it's a 3 hour round trip for them.

I think you're wildly underestimating how often people go to Costco - assuming you live in a community where there is a Costco. If you're in a place that is a 1+hour drive to Costco than it makes a lot more sense to only go a few times a year.

At least at Costco the cashiers are somewhat human and not like the zombies at Walmart.

I do completely agree about the Costco pricing. Costco pricing is either astronomically better than anywhere else (IE Baby Formula, Dress Shirts, etc), or pretty much the same as sale prices at other places (but you're locked in to buying the giant Costco portion). They do win on exclusive items though!
Last edited by lennyandcarl on Feb 28th, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 3, 2006
5546 posts
3065 upvotes
Winnipeg
ciuvak wrote: There are lots people who got once per week, or at least once per month.
I go at least once per week. It's my primary "grocery" store.
This isn't a blog.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3079 posts
1699 upvotes
Toronto
4 times a year? I never heard that before. I go there once a week or maybe once every 1 1/2 weeks to 2 weeks. I probably average about $80 per visit but that just depends on what I need to buy to eat for the week. Steak, chicken, milk, etc. I'm not buying the same thing week after week. Sometimes I buy the odd item that's like $50 that pushes my bill to $150.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
lennyandcarl wrote: I only know one person who goes a few times a year - and that was 15 years ago before they had kids or got married. Most people I know go weekly or maybe every two weeks. On the low side some people might only go once a month. My brother in law goes about once a month and it's a 3 hour round trip for them.

I think you're wildly underestimating how often people go to Costco - assuming you live in a community where there is a Costco. If you're in a place that is a 1+hour drive to Costco than it makes a lot more sense to only go a few times a year.
I'm learning so much. I've always since coming to Canada many years ago lived within 15 minutes of a Costco. It just so happened and I never thought anything of it. I will buy a year's worth of consumables and about 4-6 months worth of food (frozen).

It never dawned on me that anyone would go regularly, and thus it would appear I am indeed the outlier.

Learn something new every day!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2001
5231 posts
4105 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
Gotta go every week to get those $xx.97 deals, and eat all the samples. What's the best day/evening for samples? :-)
😱

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)