702 upvotes

[Costco] Furnace filters

53 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2011
2530 posts
2766 upvotes
Calgary
3PK is on sale in store as well. $35 I believed.
Rule No.1 here: Buy first, Think afterwards.
Jan 17, 2012
464 posts
341 upvotes
Red Deer
I picked up a 3 pack on Sunday. Good deal for sure
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5475 posts
1673 upvotes
Kanata
I wish costco would start selling those 5$ ones in bulk.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2005
2284 posts
47 upvotes
Kingston
Every furnace technician I have talked to has told me that this is the worst thing you can do to your furnace motor. These filters apparently restrict air flow and make the motor do a lot more work.

I don't know why people buy these. The $3 ones are better for your furnace.
Apr 14, 2009
151 posts
53 upvotes
Brampton
better off getting some at furnacefilters.ca in the GTA.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3375 posts
2296 upvotes
GTA
belgiangenius wrote: Every furnace technician I have talked to has told me that this is the worst thing you can do to your furnace motor. These filters apparently restrict air flow and make the motor do a lot more work.

This.
Banned
Jan 11, 2016
446 posts
325 upvotes
Made in Canada
belgiangenius wrote: Every furnace technician I have talked to has told me that this is the worst thing you can do to your furnace motor. These filters apparently restrict air flow and make the motor do a lot more work.

I've also been told this with my new home pre delivery inspection.
Feb 14, 2016
62 posts
53 upvotes

Exactly.
And you don't even need to be a technician to figure that out. Try putting on a mask like that on your face and going for a run.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
1448 posts
702 upvotes
Try having a house full of asthmatics-----$3 filters don't cut it. They restrict air flow-as they are removing harmful things from the air. Would rather my furnace work a little harder than my families lungs
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5172 posts
2115 upvotes

C21H30O2 wrote: Exactly.
And you don't even need to be a technician to figure that out. Try putting on a mask like that on your face and going for a run.
lol. enjoy breathing in that dust day-in day-out. every furnace should use a filter, if you believe that your house is cleaner than others, get a lower MPR filter.
Feb 14, 2016
62 posts
53 upvotes
BenK wrote: lol. enjoy breathing in that dust day-in day-out. every furnace should use a filter, if you believe that your house is cleaner than others, get a lower MPR filter. you guys are probably the same people who never get their ducts cleaned.
Lmao @ duct cleaning.
You're the type that pays for "home perimeter air cleaning, only $199!"
You must be afraid to walk outside your door? Or do you wear masks outside too?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5172 posts
2115 upvotes
C21H30O2 wrote: Lmao @ duct cleaning.
You're the type that pays for "home perimeter air cleaning, only $199!"
You must be afraid to walk outside your door? Or do you wear masks outside too?
of course. i hope you don't change your car filters either, its all just a scam they built into the system. it'll last longer since it doesn't have to work as hard pushing oil through a filter. :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2003
5078 posts
5872 upvotes
C21H30O2 wrote: Exactly.
haha, what if you are running in Beijing on a smog day? I guess you'd rather have the mask on.

While there have been so many people say "I was told by the HVAC technician.....etc", I just want a objective article with long-term research to prove which theory is right. I have been burnt by some technicians so I don't trust them. I'm not saying the more expensive filters are more efficient. I just want to know if higher MERV rating would really reduce the lifespan of the blower/furnace.
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol:
Feb 14, 2016
62 posts
53 upvotes
BenK wrote: of course. i hope you don't change your car filters either, its all just a scam they built into the system. :facepalm:
Honestly, I don't want to know where you learned all this stuff. Cars are subject to direct emissions from other cars constantly while driving. Your house is not sitting in traffic. The correlation you make is a failure.
But do continue with your practice, it pumps money into the economy and keeps driving it. But for the rest of red flaggers who want to save money / not get ripped off, I leave my advice.
Thankful to OP for posting deals for those who need it, but we need to also offer advice about it as well. After all that's what we're all here for. You're the one in here talking about duct cleaning. Do some research on it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5172 posts
2115 upvotes
shahan wrote: 63.85 + FS ... I ordered same last month for 37.99 +FS

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00FFQ ... UTF8&psc=1
different MPR rating. if your house doesn't have pets, carpet or other allergens, these Amazon 600 MPR filters will be fine. If you find yourself sneezing, sniffling, etc etc, get something with a higher MPR like these Costco ones.