Costco Garage door install services

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2018 8:53 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1530 posts
963 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for your feedback. Hope you don't mind me asking. How do you feel about the insulation of the doors? Is it a gimmick or is higher the better? I happen a room on top of my garage and it's always hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I just don't know if I should pay extra for a higher R value insulated door.

Did you ever quote Garaga doors? I like that they have the polyurethane injected insulation vs the polystyrene insulation but maybe it's all just marketing.
Sep 29, 2002
182 posts
5 upvotes
I have a room over the garage too. I'm waiting g for the winter term to see if it really makes a difference. I had a wood door before but can feel like it's cooler and doesn't transfer heat like the wood door. Cool to the touch. I bought the amarr door with the highest insulation.

I didn't look at gaaraga. Just homedepot cloplay and a local place which recommended cloyplay.

Im really hoping it makes a difference in the winter.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
dpw198 wrote: Thanks for your feedback. Hope you don't mind me asking. How do you feel about the insulation of the doors? Is it a gimmick or is higher the better? I happen a room on top of my garage and it's always hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I just don't know if I should pay extra for a higher R value insulated door.
The insulation helps a bit but won't be drastic enough to lower the temperature in your above garage room. You'll need to increase heating/cooling in the above garage room, either boosting the central AC or supplemental heating/cooling.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1530 posts
963 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for all your feedback.

The Costco installer, Protech, came and provided a quote on the Amarr doors yesterday. After the Costco rebate of 15% (promo running to the end of Sept), the price for what I wanted came to within $60 of the Garaga doors through Dodds. So my decision is really between the two different products and the reputation of the installer at this point.

FWIW, I had two other reputable Garaga dealers quote the exact same doors + options and they were both about $500 more than Dodds, close to a 20% difference in price. Really does pay to shop around.
Oct 3, 2012
233 posts
50 upvotes
GTA
Anyone know what 2 8x7 insulated doors with windows will cost me through Costco? Also how does the cash card rebate work?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1530 posts
963 upvotes
GTA
My quote for their "Designers Choice" doors with thermo windows came to $2710 plus HST. They were offering a 15% Costco cash card back on the $2710 but the 15% is only good until the end of Sept.

All in, it came to within $50 of the Garaga brand that Dodds is installing for me.
Last edited by dpw198 on Oct 22nd, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 2, 2012
241 posts
70 upvotes
TORONTO
specks5317 wrote: Protech came by was very informative.

For the Amarr designer choice model we picked it was 2200 tax in. Comes with higher gauge hardware and nylon rollers. Lifetime warranty on the parts. Full removal of old stuff. Aluminum capping is 350 plus tax. Not part of the Costco deal with them. So I didn't get it. Going to wait and see how it looks without it.

I signed up with them

Went to homedepot and it was around 300 to 400 dollars more for the equivalent door by cloplay.
Hi OP, I am also looking at Costco for the Amarr garage door. Protech will come next week to give me a quote, but I am wondering what are the options for insulated double garage door? According to the information here (http://www.amarr.com/costcoca/index.html), it seems the insulated door will be Designers' Choice or Olympus. Do you have more options for each line, for instance different thickness, or any thing that I don't know? And which one did you go with that cost you $2200 tax included? And you have to go with the white one to get the highest R rating? Does this price include everything including track, spring, nylon wheels, disposal of old doors, etc. By the way, I am also getting rid of my old garage door opener and had already purchased a new garage opener earlier, will they install the new door with my new opener at no extra cost compared to using existing opener?

I am also wondering how the cash card promotion goes. When I was at my local Costco, I saw that they were saying for $500 (before tax) you get $50 plus $25 (extra 5%), and for $1000 you get $100 plus $50, for $1200 you get $120 plus $60. Does this mean if you spend $900, you will still get $50+$25, or you will get $90+$45? Also from their webste, I think the promotion is good until Oct 15.
http://www.costco.ca/Amarr®-Custom-Gara ... 36156.html

Thanks for many questions!
Sep 29, 2002
182 posts
5 upvotes
Price is tax in. They replace everything all hardware etc. Remove everything. Not sure how much they charge for garage door opener install. I used my old one.

When I bought, the promo was a cash card worth 10 percent of the total before tax. Not sure of the exact details of the one going on now. Call them and see.

When the guy comes he will have a pamphlet where u pick and choose what u want and he will price it out for you. I suggest going online before and spec the door you want.
Nov 2, 2012
241 posts
70 upvotes
TORONTO
specks5317 wrote: Price is tax in. They replace everything all hardware etc. Remove everything. Not sure how much they charge for garage door opener install. I used my old one.

When I bought, the promo was a cash card worth 10 percent of the total before tax. Not sure of the exact details of the one going on now. Call them and see.

When the guy comes he will have a pamphlet where u pick and choose what u want and he will price it out for you. I suggest going online before and spec the door you want.
Thanks for the info. Would you mind sharing which door that you went with eventually?
Nov 2, 2012
241 posts
70 upvotes
TORONTO
specks5317 wrote: Designers choice long bead board.
I see. Can I ask one last question - do you place the order in Costco and also pay them, or just deal with protect? How would Costco know that you did purchase the door and how much it is for? Does the amount count towards your annual Costco spending?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1530 posts
963 upvotes
GTA
The Protech rep said I would place the order through them and they tell Costco. You end up paying Costco which is how they know how much of a cash rebate card to issue.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Costco and Lowe's are Amarr, Depot is Coplay. Richard Wilcox is another decent brand I think Cdn Tire sells. All of them are GM.. They make Chevette's and they make Corvette's so be certain of what you are being priced.

Also watch for the "extras" like re-installing the garage door opener, or the aluminum capping.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
avko wrote:
Basically investing too much in a garage door is not really worth it.
Depending on a LOT of factors. I heat my garage. An insulated door (steel/foam/steel) will seal against weather better and is a LOT harder to dent. If you have a room above the garage and that is your only reason, save your money on the door, tear down the sealing, spray foam it, and drywall it again. A garage door wont keep your roo above the garage warm unless you heat the garage.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
Wasn't there a guy on RFD doing garage doors? Remember seeing it a few times over the past years.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1164 posts
442 upvotes
Mississauga
aquariaguy wrote: Wasn't there a guy on RFD doing garage doors? Remember seeing it a few times over the past years.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe his name is MrSparky.

I'm going to keep an eye out for a Richard Wilcox sale which I believe is in May for a double garage door with glass inserts.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1530 posts
963 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote: Depending on a LOT of factors. I heat my garage. An insulated door (steel/foam/steel) will seal against weather better and is a LOT harder to dent. If you have a room above the garage and that is your only reason, save your money on the door, tear down the sealing, spray foam it, and drywall it again. A garage door wont keep your roo above the garage warm unless you heat the garage.
I would agree. I was debating between the R16 vs the R12 rated Garaga doors and I ended up getting the R12 to save a bit of money. I spoke to some neighbors who had replaced their doors last year and they said the R16 doors didn't make that much of a notable difference in temperature for the room on top of the garage.

However, I do notice with the new doors and better weather stripping along the outside of the doors (my builder doors did not have weather stripping), I no longer have a draft of cold air coming into the garage. Stopping the draft has made a bit of difference in how cold my garage gets. Like today, it was -10C outside, inside my garage, it's +5C. I'm pretty happy with this result.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
dpw198 wrote: I would agree. I was debating between the R16 vs the R12 rated Garaga doors and I ended up getting the R12 to save a bit of money. I spoke to some neighbors who had replaced their doors last year and they said the R16 doors didn't make that much of a notable difference in temperature for the room on top of the garage.

However, I do notice with the new doors and better weather stripping along the outside of the doors (my builder doors did not have weather stripping), I no longer have a draft of cold air coming into the garage. Stopping the draft has made a bit of difference in how cold my garage gets. Like today, it was -10C outside, inside my garage, it's +5C. I'm pretty happy with this result.
No weather stripping is just lazy. Dad and I were looking at his garage door today and there is light getting in next to the door. House is 15, weather stripping no longer flexible in the cold. No surprise considering the sun it gets in the afternoon.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1530 posts
963 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote: No weather stripping is just lazy. Dad and I were looking at his garage door today and there is light getting in next to the door. House is 15, weather stripping no longer flexible in the cold. No surprise considering the sun it gets in the afternoon.
Yeah the builders will cut corners and save a few bucks anywhere they can. Now I know better. Will never go without the weather stripping around the garage doors again.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)