[Costco] Garmin Fenix 3 HR $299.97 in store, YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2018 10:02 pm
[OP]
Mar 25, 2006
13 posts
1 upvote

[Costco] Garmin Fenix 3 HR $299.97 in store, YMMV

It is not available in every store. Bought mine at east Markham store, called before and the store clerk said only 6 left.
  • Non- sapphire model with the silver stainless steel bezel.
  • It has optical HR monitor on the back of the watch.
  • Black Silicon band.
  • Item#: 1136705
  • Model #010-01338-7A
Last edited by aq93 on Dec 28th, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
20 replies
Jun 21, 2017
61 posts
110 upvotes
OP is it the Sapphire model? Titanium or regular? Is the HR monitor a strap?
[OP]
Mar 25, 2006
13 posts
1 upvote
Cocopuffs43421 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 9:31 am
OP is it the Sapphire model? Titanium or regular? Is the HR monitor a strap?
Non- sapphire model with the silver stainless steel bezel. It has optical HR monitor on the back of the watch.
[OP]
Mar 25, 2006
13 posts
1 upvote
Not the same, it has black silicon band and the bezel is silver steel, not titanium. I have updated my original post with more info.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2003
1377 posts
96 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
How much better is this than the Samsung S3 Frontier? I've really taken a liking to this watch but I'm always looking out for an upgrade. Not sure if its leagues better or just better.

I haven't experienced any issues with my S3 Frontier other than not having a built-in compass and not being able to take it into a steam room/hot tub with me.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3253 posts
311 upvotes
Ottawa
ChiGGz wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 10:17 am
How much better is this than the Samsung S3 Frontier? I've really taken a liking to this watch but I'm always looking out for an upgrade. Not sure if its leagues better or just better.

I haven't experienced any issues with my S3 Frontier other than not having a built-in compass and not being able to take it into a steam room/hot tub with me.
If you want a smartwatch, stick with the Sammy, if you want the best sports tracking device, get the Fenix. I'm a marathoner who logs 2000+ kms running a year (in addition to swimming, cycling, etc.) and I couldn't ask for a better tracking watch than my (now 2 1/2 year old) Fenix 3.
Jun 26, 2010
418 posts
205 upvotes
Vancouver
ChiGGz wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 10:17 am

Funny enough, I actually bought both of these watches on Black Friday. Fenix for me, Frontier for my partner. It really depends how you want to use your watch. I wasn't fully aware before, but I am now, the Fenix is geared for people who want to track their fitness, with emphasis on running, cycling, skiing, basically most cardio sports. The smartwatch functions are secondary. I'll get notifications for email and text but I can't reply on them, and can't view photos. Some apps, I won't even get notifications on for some reason, notably Hangouts.
The watch faces on the Fenix are very stats oriented,. The upside to the Fenix is if you're not using the GPS functions all the time, the battery can last quite a while, like about a week or even a bit more.
As for taking it into a steam room or hot tub, I think the Fenix can withstand high temperatures so this shouldn't be an issue.
May 2, 2015
28 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have sold my Fenix 5x and got Gear s3 Frontier not because the former is not great. Fenix watches are great for very active people. For most ordinary people who want to just track steps and be happy with meeting their steps goals, S3 is enough. Having said that, Gear s3 can do a lot more activity tracking than just steps besides very fine smart watch functions.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2006
2468 posts
284 upvotes
I think most people have bought the Sapphire version when it was on sale for $439 or so, is it worth the money saved to get this version instead of the Sapphire one?
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2003
1377 posts
96 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
CaptSmethwick wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 10:42 am
If you want a smartwatch, stick with the Sammy, if you want the best sports tracking device, get the Fenix. I'm a marathoner who logs 2000+ kms running a year (in addition to swimming, cycling, etc.) and I couldn't ask for a better tracking watch than my (now 2 1/2 year old) Fenix 3.
That's something I hear often; the Fenix 3 is more for sports tracking. But to be honest; can't the S3 Frontier offer the same feature wise. I've been doing a lot of running with my Frontier and I haven't found any complaints. A point could be that the battery wouldn't last as long and maybe it's not as rugged.

Sorry, not trying to disprove anything just trying to understand and make sure I'm not missing out on something better.
Last edited by ChiGGz on Dec 28th, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 5, 2007
276 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
Had them at the Kitchener Costco.
Images
  • IMG_5868.JPG
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3253 posts
311 upvotes
Ottawa
ChiGGz wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 3:18 pm
That's something I hear often; the Fenix 3 is more for sports tracking. But to be honest; can't the S3 Frontier offer the same feature wise. I've been doing a lot of running with my Frontier and I haven't found any complaints. A point could be that the battery wouldn't last as long and maybe it's not as rugged.

Sorry, not trying to disprove anything just trying to understand and make sure I'm not missing out on something better.
I don't know what kind of running dynamics data the Sammy provides you so I can't comment on it. If it suits your needs, there's no need for you to change. The Garmin is built for triathletes and hikers/climbers/etc so, yes, it's more rugged. The Sammy is water "resistant " only whereas you can swim with the Garmin - and it will provide swimming dynamics data. That may not be a feature that matters to you but it matters to me. Frankly, if the only sport we do is run, either of these watches are probably overkill for 90% of buyers.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3081 posts
691 upvotes
Montreal
I had this watch for 3 months and returned it due to defective barometer/altimeter. This seems to be an issue with this watch (check the Costco reviews of the titanium model and the Garmin forums). Nobody knows if it is hardware or something a firmware update will fix. I'm now trying a Samsung gear sport as a replacement. It is waterproof to 50m. I'm a runner (currently no cycling or swimming) so that is my focus. I've only received the gear sport today, so too early to make comparisons except to say the screen is much nicer and it definitely has more smartphone features.