Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Garmin Vivoactive 3 $169.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2020 4:20 pm
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 7, 2003
7132 posts
1893 upvotes
T dot 6
cf7777 wrote: when you see it in Costco, it is end of line sale.
This product was release in Sept 2017 so I would say its past end of the line. The Vivoactive 3 music was released June 2018 and then Vivoactive 4 in Sept 2019. Frankly I am surprised how many are still available for purchase brand new from so many retailers.

Like cell phones, these fitness trackers have reached maturity and with each release have less compelling features. I think they going to have a tougher time getting people to upgrade moving forward.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Sr. Member
Jul 5, 2008
577 posts
302 upvotes
netwise wrote: The Fenix 5 is the mid-size. If you want it to be comparable size, you'd like the 5S/6S sizing. (I moved up to a Fenix 6S personally).
It was a year and a half ago I tried it out for a couple of weeks. Bought from Costco. I got it for the mapping but in the end decided too thick and the maps were useless, too small to really get any sense of location and such. I prefer to use the watch for tracking and AllTrails, Gaia, Avenza or custommaps depending on where/what I need.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
18307 posts
8159 upvotes
Oakville
Jaytee wrote: This product was release in Sept 2017 so I would say its past end of the line. The Vivoactive 3 music was released June 2018 and then Vivoactive 4 in Sept 2019. Frankly I am surprised how many are still available for purchase brand new from so many retailers.
Nevermind buying from *retailers*, you can still buy it *directly from Garmin*: https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/571520
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1016 posts
192 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I think as a fitness tracker, the Garmin vivoactive 3 still holds up to todays standard as an entry level wearable device for the majority of the population. Its measures heart rate really well, has GPS, step count. Tells time and has text notifications and music change, though there is a vivoactive music which allows storage.

From a fitness tracker technology standpoint, I think thats enough because they do those very well and majority of population wouldnt care about the other metrics. Wearable Technology has not taken leaps either in the past 2 years. Other than perhaps HRV, Pulse Ox, EKG sure it would be nice to have but unless you are have a health concern, human performance enthusiast or athlete what else would anyone need?

I think many people confuse a fitness tracker with a smartwatch. Smartwatches have a lot more capabilities but does not mean it does all those functions particularily very well and quite frankly not everyone wants that. (Because a phone can serve a lot of those purposes). Fitness trackers do what they do well and that is to those track those metrics.

For example, just because a smartwatch and a fitness tracker both have a heart rate monitor and GPS but the smartwatch has more functions for the same price does not mean you should buy the smartwatch. Theres a good possibility the tracker has a better and accurate GPS and heart rate monitor. (Fossil Sport 2018 vs. Garmin Vivoactive 3 2017)


If you are interested watch this video by Casey Neistat, he does a great review and explanation of this to help consumers make a more thoughtful decision when buy a wearable fitness tracker/smartwatch

Sr. Member
Nov 1, 2015
846 posts
780 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Melkor wrote: Anyone have an opinion on what would be a solid tracker for weight lifting?
I'd recommend the new gshock smartwatch for $500ish. Fits the image of a lifter. GPS might be unnecessary though.. not a deal as it's new but it's cool af

Mind you I don't have smart watches, but I alternate watches a lot so for someone who might not be used to watches and or charging them all the time, a solar one makes life easier than remembering to charge something that isn't often worn (might even be a capacitor instead of a battery so would last decades on battery)

https://gshock.ca/collections/all/produ ... dh1000-1a7
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 29, 2003
4995 posts
3719 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
BBQPEANUT wrote: I'd recommend the new gshock smartwatch for $500ish. Fits the image of a lifter. GPS might be unnecessary though.. not a deal as it's new but it's cool af

Mind you I don't have smart watches, but I alternate watches a lot so for someone who might not be used to watches and or charging them all the time, a solar one makes life easier than remembering to charge something that isn't often worn (might even be a capacitor instead of a battery so would last decades on battery)

https://gshock.ca/collections/all/produ ... dh1000-1a7
Awesome! I'll check it out. A little more than I want to spend, but if it's well reviewed for what I need I'll definitely add it to the maybe list.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 7, 2003
7132 posts
1893 upvotes
T dot 6
I got my watch today, that was fast, I ordered it online yesterday. Shipped from QC to ON.

I think the price is just going to keep dropping so if you can wait, I would wait. I had a $60 coupon so I pulled the trigger.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1353 posts
1134 upvotes
It's a pretty good fitness smart watch but it's already 3 years old. I am going to wait for some new tech like Oppo Watch, GT 2 or active 3.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
2473 posts
1636 upvotes
Toronto
Plug this in with a battery pack hide it in your significant other car and it makes a great tracker! Good for at least 24hrs depending on the battery pack you use!

It's also a great watch too for fitness!!!
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 7, 2003
7132 posts
1893 upvotes
T dot 6
some1not wrote: Plug this in with a battery pack hide it in your significant other car and it makes a great tracker!
These devices use GPS so it needs line of sight to the sky. How you going to hide it? You need to install an "hidden" tracker app on your significant others phone.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
2473 posts
1636 upvotes
Toronto
Jaytee wrote: These devices use GPS so it needs line of sight to the sky. How you going to hide it? You need to install an "hidden" tracker app on your significant others phone.
Don't need line of sight, still works when its lightly covered. Don't need anything installed on their phone only yours. Garmin app all you need. Recover watch from car and sync to your phn and see where he or she went!

Im not responsible for any fights, break ups or divorces if you decide to do this!
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 24, 2006
1126 posts
597 upvotes
GTA
This is a great tracker.
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
Member
May 1, 2019
217 posts
361 upvotes
Smithers, BC
Just dropping in to say I've owned for 18 months, and love this thing. The training plans are great. I've completed training for 5km, and an currently doing a 10km training plan!
Member
May 1, 2019
217 posts
361 upvotes
Smithers, BC
Is this the one with the black bezel or stainless? Or do they have both?
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jan 2, 2012
674 posts
165 upvotes
SASKATOON
briand1989 wrote: Is this the one with the black bezel or stainless? Or do they have both?
It's the stainless bezel.

Top