Hot Deals

Costco

Gen3 Stride Step-Thru EBike on sale Nov 8- 21 - $1199 ($300 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2021 6:45 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
6067 posts
9922 upvotes
Comox Valley , BC

[Costco] Gen3 Stride Step-Thru EBike on sale Nov 8- 21 - $1199 ($300 off)

Costco.ca has the Gen3 Stride ebike on sale for $1199.00 from Nov 8 -21.

Gen3 seems to make quality ebikes with 500W motor and it's at a good value for money price point plus the Costco return policy.
Also it comes with an accessory package:
  • 590ml (20oz) insulated water bottle
  • Aluminum side-exit water bottle cage
  • Universal smartphone bike mount
  • 1m (3ft) combination chain bike lock
  • Foot floor pump with Pressure Gauge
  • Compact bike multitool
I bought it now and will be contacting Costco for the $300 price adjustment when it goes on sale. I didn't want to wait.

Novia Scotia offers a $500 rebate for ebikes if they are $1200 or more - not sure if the sale price would qualify.
BC doesn't charge PST on ebikes. I don't know what other provinces offer for ebikes.

There are currently 635 available at costco.ca. I don't know if it will be stocked in store.

There was a previous thread on this ebike with some info - costco-new-gen3-ebikes-starting-1499-99-2470153/

Gen3 website - https://gen3ride.com/electric-bikes/the ... tric-bike/
Owners manual - https://hf-files-oregon.s3.amazonaws.co ... nglish.pdf

Costco 30 day price protection refund is available hrere - https://customerservice.costco.ca/app/a ... adjustment

Youtube Video on Stride ebike -

The Outcross Fat Tire ebike will also be on sale Nov 22-28 for $1399 - which is $400 off.

https://www.costco.ca/gen3---the-outcro ... 19255.html

Last edited by pathfinder35 on Nov 10th, 2021 11:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
176 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1243 posts
553 upvotes
Bought one already as well. Will assemble it this weekend. Price is right and didn’t want to take the (likely?) chance of it selling out.
Dec 12, 2019
383 posts
289 upvotes
What's the range on this guy? (I know it varies depends on pedal assistant, weight), I was eyeing on Jetson Bolt Pro, I hear it runs about 20-30km
I assume this will run longer distance with bigger motor and battery?
Jan 10, 2011
37 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
just got one when they have the $350 gift card when spend $3000. wonder if I do price adjustment will effect the $350 gift card or not. I still haven't get the e-gift card yet.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
1270 posts
128 upvotes
xxxibgdrgn wrote: What's the range on this guy? (I know it varies depends on pedal assistant, weight), I was eyeing on Jetson Bolt Pro, I hear it runs about 20-30km
I assume this will run longer distance with bigger motor and battery?
Video says 60ish km for Stride, 50ish for the MTB.

Any advise on rear hub powered vs crank powered E-bikes? I think higher end ones are crank powered?
Oct 24, 2009
951 posts
969 upvotes
Vancouver
I bought the Flex in the summer and ended up returning it. As others in the original thread have noted, the brakes are terrible verging on dangerous. I had the brakes fail while riding several times and almost got into an accident on a downhill road. This was after hours spent trying to fix it myself and even bringing it to a local bike shop for a tune up.

Spend the money on a reputable brand like Rad, I picked up a RadMini a month ago and the brakes are way more responsive.
Dec 12, 2019
383 posts
289 upvotes
absolutcamper wrote: I bought the Flex in the summer and ended up returning it. As others in the original thread have noted, the brakes are terrible verging on dangerous. I had the brakes fail while riding several times and almost got into an accident on a downhill road. This was after hours spent trying to fix it myself and even bringing it to a local bike shop for a tune up.

Spend the money on a reputable brand like Rad, I picked up a RadMini a month ago and the brakes are way more responsive.
That's quite pricy, have you tried Jetson bolt? How are they different $400 vs $1800?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1425 posts
355 upvotes
Richmond Hill
That is a lot of bikes for the price with range, rack, light and stuff. Not much of a rider but wondering if I can get to DT from Markham and back when I need to visit the office, and how long it will take.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7527 posts
569 upvotes
Vangroovy
absolutcamper wrote: I bought the Flex in the summer and ended up returning it. As others in the original thread have noted, the brakes are terrible verging on dangerous. I had the brakes fail while riding several times and almost got into an accident on a downhill road. This was after hours spent trying to fix it myself and even bringing it to a local bike shop for a tune up.

I agree, our Bolt X by Rize are coming next week, considered Rad mini but wanted hydraulic brakes, also paid a bit more as well after comparing to the Rad offerings at equivalent price
How can I be broke when I am saving so much?
Jun 18, 2017
584 posts
386 upvotes
I preorder a velotric discover this morning when they launched for the special $1099us price includes shipping, taxes and duties. 80 mile range on eco pedal assist, similar design as this. Only thing I wasn’t a fan off for spec is the mechanical disc brakes but seems like most ebike Under 2k are mechanical.

It’s showing $1299 us right now but if you join their vip Facebook page the link for the $1099 pricing is still there.

So another option to throw out there for people who want a bit more range. It’s $1360 Canadian but taxes are included so ends up being similar in price. They are hoping to start shipping end of year but with the supply chain issues might get pushed back. No biggie for me as we will be in winter anyways.
Aug 12, 2013
132 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Is it possible to disable the throttle function completely so that this bike is only a pedelec (so it can be used on trails)?
Last edited by billyea on Oct 22nd, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2011
1448 posts
739 upvotes
SW Ontario
basketball wrote: Video says 60ish km for Stride, 50ish for the MTB.

Any advise on rear hub powered vs crank powered E-bikes? I think higher end ones are crank powered?
Hub motors are fine for "legal" use on the road. Crank powered mid drives are more efficient because you still use the normal drivetrain ie. transmission. Some also have torque sensing which provides a more natural ride feel. The motor senses how hard you are pedaling and "boosts" power accordingly. Hub motors usually just have pedal assist, which senses how fast you are going and adds a bit of power to maintain your speed.

A hub motor basically gives you a little extra push, while a mid drive can turn you into Lance Armstrong without the injections.

It's a little more complicated and nuanced than that, but that's the basic difference. For cruising around the city on a Sunday afternoon a simple hub motor is fine. Most mid drives are more complicated and require a different frame design so they can be much more costly.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
23125 posts
180750 upvotes
GTA
basketball wrote: Video says 60ish km for Stride, 50ish for the MTB.

People who ride in hilly areas may like mid drive models more, as they tend to have more torque and are therefore easier to ride up hills. One disadvantage is if you happen to have a chain failure, with a hub drive with throttle, you can still get home if you have enough juice in the battery. With a mid drive, however, the motor is now no longer connected to the rear wheel anymore once the chain has broken, so you would be stranded and would have to walk the bike home / call someone to get picked up.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2005
1225 posts
378 upvotes
Calgary
Good price. When on our search for an ebike we ended up with a Rize X and Rize leisure step (before the price increase). While costing more than these, we felt the value for price felt a bit better for us and hopefully better Canadian support if needed.
Sep 20, 2005
197 posts
274 upvotes
Thunder Bay
Homer001 wrote: I preorder a velotric discover this morning when they launched for the special $1099us price includes shipping, taxes and duties. 80 mile range on eco pedal assist, similar design as this. Only thing I wasn’t a fan off for spec is the mechanical disc brakes but seems like most ebike Under 2k are mechanical.

It’s showing $1299 us right now but if you join their vip Facebook page the link for the $1099 pricing is still there.

So another option to throw out there for people who want a bit more range. It’s $1360 Canadian but taxes are included so ends up being similar in price. They are hoping to start shipping end of year but with the supply chain issues might get pushed back. No biggie for me as we will be in winter anyways.
I almost bit on the Velotric yesterday too, but in the end decided not to due to lack of experience/reviews with the company. I've also never purchased off indiegogo before. Their product looks awesome though, and I hope you enjoy your bike!
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20378 posts
5814 upvotes
GTA
Almost 60 lbs damn. It's a really good price though.
Sep 3, 2008
219 posts
37 upvotes
axnguyen wrote: I almost bit on the Velotric yesterday too, but in the end decided not to due to lack of experience/reviews with the company. I've also never purchased off indiegogo before. Their product looks awesome though, and I hope you enjoy your bike!

I'm really tempted as well. I'm planning to sell the Jetson and get a full sized ebike. The only thing I'm worried about is the company is new, and how the warranty situation will work.
Nov 15, 2018
34 posts
24 upvotes
I got the iGo version of this, looks like same Chinese manufacturer just white-labeled to a different company with slightly different parts (eg. handlebars). Overall I would say it works, but it could have problems that you get by shipping a bike in a small box and bad quality control, like bent disc brakes. It's also $500 cheaper then when I bought mine at the start of the summer (at regular price).