Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Ghostbed by Nature's Sleep 11 in. Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress, Twin $479, Double $679, Queen $749, King $949

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2020 12:18 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2606 posts
923 upvotes
Nunavut
canuckavelli1 wrote: After trying a bunch of these a bunch of these bed in a box types I ended up getting a mattress from a small local mattress manufacturer. Paid less and get something better quality also. Local shops can also custom make mattresses to your specs and firmness levels.

There's a reason why these bed in box companies can afford free "returns". It's low quality foam with high markups.
How is the smaller shop higher quality, details of materials used in comparison to what is used in this Ghostbed mattress?

You also paid less because the price of the return is built into these mattresses
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4079 posts
992 upvotes
Ya. Saw the email from Costco.ca and pulled the trigger on the Queen adjustable bed. Not much bad reviews online. I actually prefer firm to soft to support the spine as long as it is not super firm. Coming this week and would definitely like to try the massage function. Under the bed USB port and lighting is a plus also.
I know I wouldn't make a bad choice if purchase from Costco.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1881 posts
151 upvotes
update #2. minor gripe.

As beds are for sleeping, and sleeping is normally done in the dark, I don't understand why companies have power LED indicators on their products (this applies to any product designed for use in the dark).

The first night we quickly discovered the green LED light on the power box attached to the power cord. We put a towel over it to dim.

I later discovered a very faint glow from under the bed. FYI, in case anyone is going to suggest it.. no.. I am not referring to the under-the-bed lighting. This morning I crawled under and saw yet another green LED light glowing on the control module.

Now, this isn't a big fix. A bit of electrical tape over the two spots and done... but come on, are companies not using their heads ffs?
Dec 18, 2017
126 posts
71 upvotes
Eldorado wrote: How is the smaller shop higher quality, details of materials used in comparison to what is used in this Ghostbed mattress?

You also paid less because the price of the return is built into these mattresses
I didn't try the ghostbed but looking up the specs it seems to be decent.

The problem is most of these beds are its just polyfoam base with a low density support foam and low density memory foam (I'm talking Endy, Casper etc.). The low density (usually between 2.5-3.5lb) makes them wear out faster and doesn't give it the premium memory foam feel that you'd get with a tempurpedic. Another problem is that most of the review sites are paid reviews. I suggest checking out mattress underground forum for in depth discussion about mattress layers, etc. Also many bed in box don't list their specs. You need to reach out to them to get that information. And even reaching out, I found some refuse to provide the information.

If you go the small shop/ custom route, you can get something with a canadian pocket coils base and high density memory foam (4lb+) or natural talalay/dunlop latex top. Which is undoubted better quality than a block of low density foam.
Apr 15, 2008
76 posts
39 upvotes
canuckavelli1 wrote:
If you go the small shop/ custom route, you can get something with a canadian pocket coils base and high density memory foam (4lb+) or natural talalay/dunlop latex top. Which is undoubted better quality than a block of low density foam.
Have you got any vendors that you suggest for such a mattress?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2606 posts
923 upvotes
Nunavut
canuckavelli1 wrote: I didn't try the ghostbed but looking up the specs it seems to be decent.

The problem is most of these beds are its just polyfoam base with a low density support foam and low density memory foam (I'm talking Endy, Casper etc.). The low density (usually between 2.5-3.5lb) makes them wear out faster and doesn't give it the premium memory foam feel that you'd get with a tempurpedic. Another problem is that most of the review sites are paid reviews. I suggest checking out mattress underground forum for in depth discussion about mattress layers, etc. Also many bed in box don't list their specs. You need to reach out to them to get that information. And even reaching out, I found some refuse to provide the information.

Ghostbed does seem to be highly regarded at mattress underground, I do check on them for info

But shouldn't compare hybrid style mattresses with coils to full foam, would be nice if the other versions of the Ghostbed were available in Canada

Mind sharing which small shop you used? I'm getting tired of trying these online beds, can't go into any store for a 'typical' mattress.. body is hurting!! :)
Dec 18, 2017
126 posts
71 upvotes
wg49 wrote: Have you got any vendors that you suggest for such a mattress?
Eldorado wrote: Ghostbed does seem to be highly regarded at mattress underground, I do check on them for info

But shouldn't compare hybrid style mattresses with coils to full foam, would be nice if the other versions of the Ghostbed were available in Canada

Mind sharing which small shop you used? I'm getting tired of trying these online beds, can't go into any store for a 'typical' mattress.. body is hurting!! :)
I don't want to share the vendor I went with but what I did was search "mattress" on google maps near me and call/visit each one that wasn't a big box chain. Many will even show you the manufacturing area if they do it in house. Again this is more work than a bed in a box but was worth it for me. Also I live in Toronto, smaller markets may be more difficult. This process also may not work as well during the COVID crisis. Good luck guys.
Aug 25, 2008
641 posts
470 upvotes
Landon99 wrote: Did you get it?
No. I stuck with the Blackstone. A few of reasons: Price ($326 tax in more to go from the Blackstone to the Ghostbed), Lazy (the Blackstone is in her room and hauling it down a bunch of stairs, mostly by myself, didn't appeal), and, finally, my daughter is comfortable in the bed. I definitely prefer our bed (Novaform Pearl Serifina something or other) as it sleeps cooler and has more/better memory foam, but she's happy with it so done and done!
---------------------
Koodo $39 / 10 gb
TCL 65R617 $625
Viewsonic VX3268 32 Inch 144Hz 1ms Monitor $280
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2010
1804 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
marklin wrote: Thanks OP. Ordered a double and it arrived the next day! But where's the free t-shirt mentioned in the included pamphlet? did anyone get theirs?! :-)
got twin xl and the shirt was on the mattress
May 29, 2005
686 posts
199 upvotes
Nepean
Hi Guys,

I was going to buy the foundation but it's only in the US. Where did you guys buy a good foundation for your bed?

I have a 20 year old spring+boxspring setup so I need to upgrade.

Worst case I build it myself next weekend.

Thanks.
Aug 23, 2010
842 posts
258 upvotes
jamzbe wrote: Hi Guys,

I was going to buy the foundation but it's only in the US. Where did you guys buy a good foundation for your bed?

I have a 20 year old spring+boxspring setup so I need to upgrade.

Worst case I build it myself next weekend.

Thanks.
Couldn't you just toss it on the boxspring? It's certainly got some years on it but would that affect the mattress? Sorry, bit of a newb with these things.

Edit: A quick google just advised me that you shouldn't use a boxspring with a foam mattress. Learned something today, I can go back to bed...

Double edit!: Guess you can use a boxspring after all...
DO I NEED A BOX SPRING OR FOUNDATION?
We highly recommend our matching foundation/box spring for supporting your mattress. Featuring a 9″ Depth/Height and Made in the USA. Laying the mattress on a flat surface or good condition box spring/foundation will maintain the mattress life span. The mattress can be placed on a box spring/foundation with slats no longer than 4″ apart, platform bed or the floor for good results.
Jul 8, 2012
70 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know the dimension of the King size so that I can look for a box spring (s). The twin boxes I am using fall short in length. The bed is amazing btw
Oct 13, 2017
591 posts
547 upvotes
omaiiir wrote: Anyone know the dimension of the King size so that I can look for a box spring (s). The twin boxes I am using fall short in length. The bed is amazing btw
according to their web site:

Dimensions: 76” x 80” at least for the standard king size
Aug 18, 2013
692 posts
582 upvotes
AB
just got it today, love it, doesn't have that sinking feeling that most memory foam mattresses have
Sep 23, 2018
48 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
nuclearhot wrote: just got it today, love it, doesn't have that sinking feeling that most memory foam mattresses have
How long did it take to ship out? I ordered a week ago but only received the order confirmation so far.
Nov 6, 2017
117 posts
36 upvotes
Vancouver
KingsleyW41998 wrote: How long did it take to ship out? I ordered a week ago but only received the order confirmation so far.
Ordered it 8 days ago but hasn't been shipped yet.
Dec 31, 2017
25 posts
7 upvotes
Ordered April 30, shipped May 1 and arrived May 7. Really happy with it so far.
Aug 18, 2013
692 posts
582 upvotes
AB
KingsleyW41998 wrote: How long did it take to ship out? I ordered a week ago but only received the order confirmation so far.
took a week to ship out and another to arrive