Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Global NI Oriental 20 cm (8 in.) Chef's Knife - 69.99$ (Online)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2021 11:45 am
[OP]
Feb 20, 2019
181 posts
718 upvotes
Montreal

[Costco] Global NI Oriental 20 cm (8 in.) Chef's Knife - 69.99$ (Online)

Not the first time this chef knife is posted, but it's back in stock @ 69.99$ online (including shipping as always with Costco.ca).

I did a quick search on the web and the cheapest I saw was 115.99$ (up to 200$) for the exact same knife, so this costco deal is great. I bought this knife maybe 1 year ago and it's the best I have in my kitchen. I really love it!

By the way, these are made in Japan and if my memory serves me right, have a lifetime warranty.

FYI more than 550 knife available at time of posting.
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7476 posts
4098 upvotes
Debtario
Bought this as part of the 3pc set for $120.

Haven't really used it enough to make a fair comparison, though I'd say for me the standard G2 feels better in hand.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Oct 8, 2008
235 posts
121 upvotes
Ontario
How does this compare to the basic victorinox chef's knife? In what circumstances would spending more than that make sense?
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
10245 posts
3752 upvotes
esaul17 wrote: How does this compare to the basic victorinox chef's knife? In what circumstances would spending more than that make sense?
Japanese steel
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Oct 8, 2008
235 posts
121 upvotes
Ontario
CFRTim wrote: Japanese steel
Sorry man this means nothing to me but a fancy buzzword.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
10245 posts
3752 upvotes
esaul17 wrote: Sorry man this means nothing to me but a fancy buzzword.
Then maybe a little history lesson should help answer your question.
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Fanatic
Sep 3, 2006
5234 posts
2547 upvotes
Winnipeg
I bought this knife almost two years ago. I can't say enough good things about it. It's very comfortable and balanced in my hands. It holds an edge well.
This isn't a blog.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1045 posts
355 upvotes
Except Cromova is more similar to German/Swiss steel than it is to most Japanese steels that are used in $100 plus Japanese knives
Aug 23, 2005
616 posts
439 upvotes
Ontario
esaul17 wrote: How does this compare to the basic victorinox chef's knife? In what circumstances would spending more than that make sense?
Both are stamped standard alloys.
CROMOVA 18 isn't anything spectacular and certainly doesn't belong in the same breath as other Japanese exotic alloys. It's composition is more comparable to a standard alloy like 440B http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/cromova_18.shtml
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7476 posts
4098 upvotes
Debtario
Honestly there is no need to spend more if you are happy with it, that fibrox victorinox is an excellent knife and a lot of bang for your buck.
krazykanuck wrote: G2 vs this. Any opinions?
The NI has a thicker blade, little heavier, feels more curved but that may be an illusion. The handle is also... different, more rounded with less grip dimples. I haven't used it enough to say if that makes any practical difference, if I did a blind test I'm willing to bet they'd be close enough

Not too many reviews on these, I think that speaks to how similar these are.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1984 posts
466 upvotes
'sauga
krazykanuck wrote: G2 vs this. Any opinions?
G2 is lighter with a classic rounded profile.
This one is heavier with a longer handle and newer styling.

The G2 is my daily driver, but I am thinking of getting this one as a secondary knife.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1190 posts
1068 upvotes
jcon wrote: I bought this knife almost two years ago. I can't say enough good things about it. It's very comfortable and balanced in my hands. It holds an edge well.
Just bought my first knife in this style (the OP Global).
What do you use to sharpen it?
Jun 1, 2010
51 posts
31 upvotes
GTA
I have around 30 good knives. I even have some (sharpened only 1 side) knives from Japan. I started with Victorinox (excellent), then a bunch of Zwilling Henkel 4 star (love them), then I got a set of Globals, and got a ceramic 'steel' sharpener by the same make. Then my all time fav is my swilling Kramer euro. Only downside (but very pretty) is how easy it is to scratch the Damascus steel and notice it. It really gets sharp... anyway back to Global... these knives are very hard steel, so needs the ceramic sharpener. Because it's much harder than the Henkel's it also will last a lot longer. The global handle looks cool but it's not nearly as comfortable as a typical knife. But what is maybe the most important fact is... it will get very sharp!!!! I hate cheap knives that you sharpen and just does not get sharp... or you constantly have to sharpen it. I also found out the hard way, for some reason a Henkel made in Germany is better steel than say the 'same knife' made outside Germany. It's same argument for Miele vacuum's made in Germany cost $1200 vs $450 at Costco. I have a German vacuum 24 years old and still used today! The other advantage of buying Costco is... if yer not 100% satisfied, you can return it, even after using it... you just have to wait 30-45 min in the cold returning it. Hahaha...