• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2019 4:16 pm
Nov 29, 2003
333 posts
67 upvotes
North York
SameerAlam wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 12:58 am
Hoping to get some help. It says not to use this bulb with standard dimmers. If I want to use this, do I need to remove and rewire my dimmer to a regular switch? Anything else I should do?
It's a new dimmer, the one with the slider that slides top to bottom. Not the circle knob. Not sure if that changes anything.
If you're confident of the people in your home, you could just install the dimmer and leave it at max.

The warning is that the dimmer will lower the power going to the wifi bulb. It'd be like dimming your TV, which doesn't make much sense. You're just not giving it enough power and it'll stop working at best, or fail permenantly at worse.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6757 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
Elessar wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 7:53 am
If you're confident of the people in your home, you could just install the dimmer and leave it at max.

The warning is that the dimmer will lower the power going to the wifi bulb. It'd be like dimming your TV, which doesn't make much sense. You're just not giving it enough power and it'll stop working at best, or fail permenantly at worse.
Heads up here - I tried this with a dimmer at 100%, the bulb still strobed at a high rate. And yes, the bulb previously connected was a dimmable LED.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Aug 30, 2009
239 posts
90 upvotes
Elessar wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 7:53 am

cwb27 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 8:07 am
Heads up here - I tried this with a dimmer at 100%, the bulb still strobed at a high rate. And yes, the bulb previously connected was a dimmable LED.
Okay thanks guys, helpful info.
I think I'll go ahead and swap the switch to a regular one and then use these bulbs.
Sep 28, 2011
20 posts
7 upvotes
FREDERICTON
rfottawa wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 1:06 am
Bought 2 packs. 1 out of 6 is connected. Wth?

Any ideas? I've tried turning off 5g all together to ensure that only 2.4 is being used. Still nothing.

In fact the one bulb that was added, seemed like it appeared out of thin air. I didn't actually do anythjnf with it. It just displayed as not connected in my list, until I screwed the bulb in.
are you able to get them to blink rapidly after the power off/on 3 times sequence?
Aug 4, 2010
594 posts
75 upvotes
squidly1 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 12:13 pm
are you able to get them to blink rapidly after the power off/on 3 times sequence?
Yes....still nothing with the Globe Suite app. Based on other comments, I tried with TuyaSmart, and bang....got them all connected. Odd, but I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2007
652 posts
220 upvotes
Kingston
SameerAlam wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 12:58 am
Hoping to get some help. It says not to use this bulb with standard dimmers. If I want to use this, do I need to remove and rewire my dimmer to a regular switch? Anything else I should do?
It's a new dimmer, the one with the slider that slides top to bottom. Not the circle knob. Not sure if that changes anything.
It'll be ok so long as you leave the dimmer on max brightness if you don't wanna change the switch out.
Aug 30, 2009
239 posts
90 upvotes
MaDgamEr wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 1:33 pm
It'll be ok so long as you leave the dimmer on max brightness if you don't wanna change the switch out.
Just tried to switch it out, will have to change the light boxes as well so I'll just stick to leaving it on max brightness. Cheers!
Feb 19, 2009
188 posts
46 upvotes
josephdyland wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 7:33 pm
I got these bulbs working 100% with Tasmota 6.5 flashed to them via Tuya-Convert.

For anyone interested in this great deal, these settings in Tasmota will get you up and running for Cold to White + Brightness and RGB colors.

Module Type = Generic (18)

D2 GPIO4 PWM1(37)
D1 GPIO5 PWM4 (40)
D6 GPIO12 Relay1 PWM2 (38)
D7 GPIO13 Led1i PWM5 (41)
D5 GPIO14 Sensor PWM3 (39)

or

{"NAME":"GlobeRGBWW","GPIO":[0,0,0,0,37,40,0,0,38,41,39,0,0],"FLAG":0,"BASE":18}
So these bulbs work in Home Assistant without issues after flashing OTA?
Dec 5, 2018
12 posts
3 upvotes
josephdyland wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 10:17 pm
Yep it is working great in Homeassistant, MQTT is the method for communication , I had used the Tasmota template linked below, also included my exact HA yaml (Topic renamed to rgbww1).
https://github.com/digiblur/Sonoff-Tasm ... mart-Bulbs
Just incase you run into the same issue. The state topic is returned under /RESULT

Use the following config

- platform: mqtt
name: Ceiling Bulb 1
command_topic: "cmnd/cb1rgb/POWER"
state_topic: "stat/cb1rgb/RESULT"
state_value_template: "{{value_json.POWER}}"
availability_topic: "tele/cb1rgb/LWT"
brightness_command_topic: "cmnd/cb1rgb/Dimmer"
brightness_state_topic: "stat/cb1rgb/STATE"
brightness_scale: 100
on_command_type: "brightness"
brightness_value_template: "{{value_json.Dimmer}}"
color_temp_command_topic: "cmnd/cb1rgb/CT"
color_temp_state_topic: "stat/cb1rgb/STATE"
color_temp_value_template: "{{value_json.CT}}"
rgb_command_topic: "cmnd/cb1rgb/Color2"
rgb_state_topic: "stat/cb1rgb/STATE"
rgb_value_template: "{{value_json.Color.split(',')[0:3]|join(',')}}"
effect_command_topic: "cmnd/cb1rgb/Scheme"
effect_state_topic: "stat/cb1rgb/STATE"
effect_value_template: "{{value_json.Scheme}}"
effect_list:
payload_on: "ON"
payload_off: "OFF"
payload_available: "Online"
payload_not_available: "Offline"
qos: 1
retain: false
Dec 5, 2018
12 posts
3 upvotes
Nelson Muntz wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 3:27 pm
So these bulbs work in Home Assistant without issues after flashing OTA?
Check my previous comment. Some tweaks have to be made. However I'm returning the lights, they are garbage if you plan to use them for RGB. However the light temperature is pretty useful if that suits you.
Feb 19, 2009
188 posts
46 upvotes
ericedg wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 10:40 pm
Check my previous comment. Some tweaks have to be made. However I'm returning the lights, they are garbage if you plan to use them for RGB. However the light temperature is pretty useful if that suits you.
Wow, thanks. That looks confusing! Doing most of the configurations on the Node-red plugin. Might make it blink a certain color when someone's near the front door. Not expecting it to be like Hue or anything. So are yeelights better than these Globe ones?
Dec 5, 2018
12 posts
3 upvotes
99% of that config is copy pasted Tasmota RGB code. There was just some issues with the state topic.

Its far from Hue or probably even Yeelight. Its SUPER dim, wont light anything up. Barely lights anything up even in a pitch black room
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2916 posts
405 upvotes
Alberta
So I bought these before I realized they don't work with IFTTT - I kind of wonder what use they are now.

I had wanted to link them to motion detection on my Wyze or Nest cameras but I guess that's no go.

What do you guys use them for?
Sep 9, 2009
235 posts
74 upvotes
Calgary, AB
If I use a regular switch to turn these on and off, will it remember the last color/dimmed setting I used with the app when I turn the lights back on? I dont plan on using a hub/smart speaker with these.