• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2019 4:16 pm
Nov 29, 2003
333 posts
67 upvotes
North York
scouzer wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 5:17 pm
So I bought these before I realized they don't work with IFTTT - I kind of wonder what use they are now.

I had wanted to link them to motion detection on my Wyze or Nest cameras but I guess that's no go.

What do you guys use them for?
Voice controlled lights in areas that were difficult to upgrade to wifi switches.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
1409 posts
285 upvotes
scouzer wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 5:17 pm
So I bought these before I realized they don't work with IFTTT - I kind of wonder what use they are now.
I think you can use the SmartLife app to manage them and that has IFTTT support. Maybe somebody on here can confirm this?
Dec 21, 2007
832 posts
383 upvotes
moncton
speed_69 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2019 9:02 am
If I use a regular switch to turn these on and off, will it remember the last color/dimmed setting I used with the app when I turn the lights back on? I dont plan on using a hub/smart speaker with these.
Yeah they remember the setting.
Jun 6, 2011
106 posts
193 upvotes
Hamilton
Found them at the Ancaster location (100 Legend Ct, Hamilton, ON) right at the entrance, across from the laptop displays against the fence. They were also available at they Stoney Creek location (1330 S Service Rd, Hamilton, ON) in the regular "lightning" aisle. Price as indicated by OP, $29.99.
Dec 25, 2012
623 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
Can these be used outdoors in the porch lights and the ones over the garage?

Wifi seems decent so it should?

Anyone try?
JS
Sep 28, 2011
20 posts
7 upvotes
FREDERICTON
Squeeky wrote:
Jun 26th, 2019 8:03 pm
I think you can use the SmartLife app to manage them and that has IFTTT support. Maybe somebody on here can confirm this?
That's working for me. I got rid of the global app, setup the bulbs in the Smart Life app.
Then in IFTTT connect to the Smart Life Service.
The only trickey part seems to be that ifttt doesn't seem to act on a device, it needs to act on a scene.

So I created a "porch lights on" scenerio in Smart Life, then over on IFTTT created a new applet and used the scene
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1327 posts
377 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
I am very happy with these. I installed them in my bedroom. I already have the ceiling fan lights automated with and effect broadcaster. But that does not give me the ability to change colour or brightness.

With these bulbs my existing automation continues to work. The bulbs remember the last setting. So I have full voice control and I can still turn on and off with the light switch, from remotes, etc.

Fantastic!
Sep 18, 2018
34 posts
34 upvotes
James Stonehenge wrote:
Jun 27th, 2019 10:40 am

Anyone try?
Yes, I did this. When I pull up to my house at night, I tell Siri to open the Alexa ap and then tell Alexa to turn on the front light. Pretty slick.
Then when going to sleep at night, I have all of my outdoor and bedroom lights setup on an Alexa routine, so I just tell Alexa goodnight and this makes sure all any lights I've forgotten to shut off don't stay on all night.
Dec 25, 2012
623 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
JoshD45753 wrote:
Jun 28th, 2019 7:53 am
Yes, I did this. When I pull up to my house at night, I tell Siri to open the Alexa ap and then tell Alexa to turn on the front light. Pretty slick.
Then when going to sleep at night, I have all of my outdoor and bedroom lights setup on an Alexa routine, so I just tell Alexa goodnight and this makes sure all any lights I've forgotten to shut off don't stay on all night.
Thanks! Would it be easy to set it up so that the lights go on based on your physical location, vs you telling alexa?
JS
Nov 20, 2008
266 posts
39 upvotes
James Stonehenge wrote:
Jun 27th, 2019 10:40 am

Anyone try?
would like to know this too. also, are they rated for -20C (or greater) temps?

I'm hoping to find some this afternoon in Ontario GTA.
Jun 13, 2017
339 posts
182 upvotes
Ajax, Ontario
Can I control them via Alexa, i.e., "change color to purple", or set a routine that could include changing a dim level or color?
"Are you telling me to get a smart switch instead of a smart bulb for my bedside night lamp?"

ArloCopter
Dec 21, 2007
832 posts
383 upvotes
moncton
adhika wrote:
Jun 28th, 2019 9:23 am
Can I control them via Alexa, i.e., "change color to purple", or set a routine that could include changing a dim level or color?
yes
Dec 25, 2012
623 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
I'm guessing these would be useless on a smart switch? Kasa switch. Doea this work with smart things?
JS
Jun 6, 2011
106 posts
193 upvotes
Hamilton
msprnt wrote:
Jun 28th, 2019 9:21 am
would like to know this too. also, are they rated for -20C (or greater) temps?
"They are not sensitive to humidity, low temperatures (can be used in as low as -20° C), and on/off cycling"
James Stonehenge wrote:
Jun 28th, 2019 10:55 am
I'm guessing these would be useless on a smart switch? Kasa switch. Doea this work with smart things?
It's probably just not practical, not that it wouldn't work - since the switch would have its own on/off and also the bulb itself has its own on/off... double on/off Neutral Face
Sep 28, 2006
628 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
For those who has it, what do you think of how bright it is? I have read the whole thread and it seems brightness is an issue.