• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2022 2:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 30, 2006
15237 posts
5115 upvotes
Been at this price for a few months. Depending on your location, they may have dropped to $16 on sale or clearance.

We have them set up with Google Home and they work well.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1464 posts
2782 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
Bought this 4-pk on Jan 3 for $19.98 at the CrossIron Costco. Works great!

Globe Suite app had some usability issues, I thought, but easily overcome. Even though I have 2.4 GHz APs on my network, my phones/devices all connect to the 5 GHz network, so this was a problem for the pairing process. My phone had to be on the 2.4 GHz network in order for the smart plugs to get configured (via Bluetooth). Once configured, I was able to forget the 2.4 GHz network (so, may as well scan/configure all devices in the box, so they're good to go).

Handy for lights, and very reliable. Also have one on my 3D printer, so I can remotely turn it off after prints are done. Wouldn't hesitate to get more, although I can't think of practical ways in my home to use up all 4... Face With Tears Of Joy
[OP]
Jul 16, 2019
117 posts
90 upvotes
Good to know and appreciate your feedbacks.

I may actually buy a pack, been holding back due to my previous experience as stated in my OP.
Jul 11, 2004
983 posts
366 upvotes
I don’t see them as being a ‘smart plug’ in the Alexa app. Anyone try to use these to turn on and off using an Alexa routine?
Feb 28, 2016
14 posts
6 upvotes
These r 802.11b, they will slow down your entire 2.4ghz network somewhat. 2.4ghz is ok if they are 802.11n
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1464 posts
2782 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
growler wrote: I don’t see them as being a ‘smart plug’ in the Alexa app. Anyone try to use these to turn on and off using an Alexa routine?
You'll need to have created a user in the Globe Suite app (not as a guest). Set up the smart plugs in the Globe Suite app, and get them working. Then from the Globe Suite app, go to Profile, then tap Amazon Alexa under Integration. This will link Alexa to your Globe profile, and allow you to control stuff from Alexa, using names of plugs as configured in the Globe Suite app.
Jan 1, 2015
879 posts
928 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks OP will pickup another pack for myself.

Nice lightbulbs and having the ability to turn them off remotely makes it nice. Colour function I seldom use.

Wifi - no issues with connections, but I have a good network setup so those using ISP routers are the ones likely to complain about connectivity
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2953 posts
3164 upvotes
GVRD
thingieing wrote: if u have ISP modem/router combo, it won't work as they usually combine both 2.4 n 5ghz together even if u split them up; only standalone router will work to broadcast both 2.4 n 5ghz separately
That's my issue - combined modem/router.

If the circuit goes out (unplugged, etc.), do you have to setup again under the proprietary APP? I have (had) smart light bulbs like that. When someone turned them off accidentally with the light switch, one would have to go through the setup all over again within the proprietary APP.

Also, I'd prefer not to have to use an APP from a rarely updated sub-contracted developer. Problems seem to eventually occur with these APPs. I'd trust someone like TP-Link/Kasa a lot more for long-term use. Globe likely sub-contracts out all its coding.
Mar 7, 2011
51 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone tried to flash it with tasmota or esp home?
Last edited by derekc85 on Jan 20th, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 7, 2005
177 posts
138 upvotes
Mississauga
RxMills wrote: That's my issue - combined modem/router.

If the circuit goes out (unplugged, etc.), do you have to setup again under the proprietary APP? I have (had) smart light bulbs like that. When someone turned them off accidentally with the light switch, one would have to go through the setup all over again within the proprietary APP.

Also, I'd prefer not to have to use an APP from a rarely updated sub-contracted developer. Problems seem to eventually occur with these APPs. I'd trust someone like TP-Link/Kasa a lot more for long-term use. Globe likely sub-contracts out all its coding.

Nope, the wifi switch memorized the settings, no need to reconfigure if there's a pwr outage or unplugged.

Better buy a separate router as combo ones always lack features n wireless always drop out n reception ain't the greatest
Jul 8, 2013
300 posts
312 upvotes
AMHERST
Almost no one makes 5Ghz devices for the following reasons:
  • 5Ghz has less range and more trouble with walls
  • The more devices you have on a wifi channel the worse it works for all of them. Because of that it’s typically better to have high speed devices on their own on 5Ghz with 2.4Ghz left for everything else
  • No home automation sensors/controllers need that much bandwidth so there’s no reason for a manufacturer to pay extra for 5Ghz
  • The existing 2.4Ghz microcontrollers are stupid cheap
  • If you’re concerned about wifi interference you would probably be better off with Zigbee or the new frequency that Thread will run on
Jul 8, 2013
300 posts
312 upvotes
AMHERST

You’re probably going to want to lean towards devices that either work well with Homeassistant (or a competitor), or where you can flash it with other firmware such as Tasmota or ESPHome. Flashing it means you never need or use the manufacturer’s app, while having home automation software in-home means all the nice benefits (app, routines, etc) plus you can control devices even when your ISP is down
Sep 3, 2020
102 posts
122 upvotes
Ontario
They use 2.4 Ghz and important to have phone on same network.

There are 2 methods to connect so try both.

Another user last year suggested Tuya app over the Globe app and have found that does work better.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3353 posts
3403 upvotes
Montreal, QC

Not all modem/router combos are that rigid in configs. I know Fizz uses the Hitron CODA-4680 which is a "crappy" combo modem router. But it does have the option to split the bands by disabling the "band steering" option.

However most of these modem/router combos are junk (in this case this modem is also affected by the Intel Puma 6/7 bugs). In my case, I have just put the modem into bridge modem (bypassing all the router/wifi functions of the unit), and I use my own OPNsense firewall with a few wireless access points instead.

I had picked up a 4 pack of the Kasa HS103 units from Bestbuy just before xmas for $20. They are the updated 15A versions, but I have yet to plug them in :)
Anyone now if they can be flashed with Tasmota or ESPHome ? If not, any recommendations on units that CAN be (relatively easily without needing to open them up - I had read that many of the old loopholes were closed in newer firmware) ?
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4945 posts
4519 upvotes
GTA
DudebuD wrote: If these are the same ones as the Canadian Tire ones they're absolute crap.

Bought 4 a while back and they don't work. At all. Ever. They either didn't sync, or if they did, they didn't function. I returned them the next day.
You were definitely doing something wrong, orbsomething is wrong with your wifi set up. Got some at Canadian tire long time ago and they work flawlessly.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1775 posts
3401 upvotes

I have ISP modem/router combo (Bell Home Hub 3000) and I have my wifi seperated into 2.4ghx and 5ghz and can still use any smart plugs/devices
Zoomer Wireless: $36 5GB Plan

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)