Globe WiFi Smart Plugs (pack of 4) $19.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2022 2:04 pm
Tags:
None
May 21, 2019
198 posts
152 upvotes
These are complete crap, I'll never buy from Globe again. If your router resets, temporarily stops, ISP disconnects or is unplugged you have to manually re-connect the plug to wifi. Unplug it for 10 seconds, replug it and wait 10 seconds and test if it's working. If this doesn't work and every now and then you have to re-install like when you first bought it and that is a PITA, it's a hit or miss if it connects properly and that can take 10 minutes. Also, depending on your router, you have to force it to only accept 2.4 GHz if it's stuck on trying to connect with 5 GHz. The company was useless when I reached out for help.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2212 posts
714 upvotes
Montreal
nl1000 wrote: These are complete crap, I'll never buy from Globe again. If your router resets, temporarily stops, ISP disconnects or is unplugged you have to manually re-connect the plug to wifi. Unplug it for 10 seconds, replug it and wait 10 seconds and test if it's working. If this doesn't work and every now and then you have to re-install like when you first bought it and that is a PITA, it's a hit or miss if it connects properly and that can take 10 minutes. Also, depending on your router, you have to force it to only accept 2.4 GHz if it's stuck on trying to connect with 5 GHz. The company was useless when I reached out for help.
I don't know which router setup you have.
I have been using Globe wifi plugs and light bulbs for a few years now and never had a problem. Set them up and pretty much forget about them, they just work.
I have Ubiquiti router and wifi antenna if that makes a difference.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
11678 posts
5683 upvotes
nl1000 wrote: These are complete crap, I'll never buy from Globe again. If your router resets, temporarily stops, ISP disconnects or is unplugged you have to manually re-connect the plug to wifi. Unplug it for 10 seconds, replug it and wait 10 seconds and test if it's working. If this doesn't work and every now and then you have to re-install like when you first bought it and that is a PITA, it's a hit or miss if it connects properly and that can take 10 minutes. Also, depending on your router, you have to force it to only accept 2.4 GHz if it's stuck on trying to connect with 5 GHz. The company was useless when I reached out for help.
Thats not good to hear, Our internet connection fiber wireless has been having issues the last couple weeks with disconnects and if i have to manually connect them again thats way too big of a pain.

I do own the globe rgb bulbs costco had for 20 a year or 2 ago and they have been great no problems at all so was hoping these would be the same.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Feb 7, 2007
336 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
slamjam123 wrote: Strange to hear that. Bought the. CT ones as well and they work great. Able to move them around to other plugs and it keeps the Wi-Fi info stored.
Tommy74 wrote: You were definitely doing something wrong, orbsomething is wrong with your wifi set up. Got some at Canadian tire long time ago and they work flawlessly.
Google this specific plug and you'll find a myriad of problems. They also turned off an on by themselves at specific intervals.

Even look at previous threads on RFD, they're nothing but problems.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2017
1891 posts
1954 upvotes
DudebuD wrote: Google this specific plug and you'll find a myriad of problems. They also turned off an on by themselves at specific intervals.

For every complaint, there are probably like 50 of us happy with the product. And yes, many of us use the ISP modem/router
Jul 2, 2007
607 posts
194 upvotes
Canada
Also have globe outlets from Costco that have given me quite a bit of grief (disconnecting, not working etc..), but I think I must have an older version as these look completely different. Might pick these up.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6530 posts
6836 upvotes
Vancouver
eelw11 wrote: For every complaint, there are probably like 50 of us happy with the product. And yes, many of us use the ISP modem/router
The only problem I have had with mine is that the annoying Tuya servers in China stopped providing timely status updates to Home Assistant, so HA runs several minutes behind in reporting status changes. Other than that they haven't been any less reliable or harder to use than other brands.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3299 upvotes
Out west
DudebuD wrote: Google this specific plug and you'll find a myriad of problems. They also turned off an on by themselves at specific intervals.

Meh, for the $5 I spent on them. I also have the Prime version from Costco, which are more or less the same since I can set them up and operate them from the GLOBE app.

I dont have anything important plugged into them anyway. If I randomly dont have a LED strip light or my beer sign in my garage turn on its schedule Ive set, big deal.

What are you plugging into it thats so important that if it decides to flake occasionally, your life is over?

Please describe the "myriad of problems" thats world ending to people
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3299 upvotes
Out west
Thats odd, had never happened to me. And I dont have any convoluted setup for my wireless in my house. Just a dual band Asus

No smart plugs work on the 5 Ghz band, so why are you saying to force it to accept 2.4? A dual band router puts out both signals. So these plugs wont try to even connect to 5 Ghz, because they dont have hardware inside to do that
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
7153 posts
3332 upvotes
Canuckland
saint2e wrote: Do these need 2.4Ghz networking, or will they work with 5GHz?
Jan 30, 2010
383 posts
347 upvotes
Mississauga
DealCanuck wrote: 2.4
You need to enable or change your router to 2.4GHz mode to set up the switches. Once they are configured on the network, you can switch back to 5GHz and they'll continue to work.

I have 3 globe switches and they work great.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2684 posts
1080 upvotes
Gta
While I wouldn’t call the complete crap I would say they are inferior to the tplink ones I own. The Tp link is easy peasy set up and never have had issues. The Globes ones sometimes drop the connection and I need to reconnect. On occasion I’ve completely moved the plug into my moms home to simulate someone being home and god help me, every time I try to connect…I swear I have to do this whole song and dance before it finally deems my dance acceptable and finally connects.
The Tp-link ones were on sale at Best Buy before Christmas 4 pack for 20.
Koodo member
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
3738 posts
3197 upvotes
BC
iksibitsi wrote: These r 802.11b, they will slow down your entire 2.4ghz network somewhat. 2.4ghz is ok if they are 802.11n
Do you have these or are you just guessing?!?

I have Globe branded ones and they DON'T use 802.11b band... I set my router to ONLY broadcast 802.11n and it works
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3299 upvotes
Out west
iksibitsi wrote: These r 802.11b, they will slow down your entire 2.4ghz network somewhat. 2.4ghz is ok if they are 802.11n
Unless you have proof on this, then its hear say.
Feb 28, 2016
14 posts
6 upvotes
i used to have them, switched to a different brand.
that one was definitely connecting at 802.11b.... but maybe it was too far away from the router, i can't check anymore.
Jul 24, 2011
247 posts
69 upvotes
Bradford
Jackji wrote: Most new routers all provide both...you can set it up so that your smart products are connected to the 2.4ghz network and your laptops/phones be connected to the 5ghz network. Pretty much all smart switches all use 2.4ghz for connection to the app
Can you please explain how this works. I have Bell gigabit whole home wifi (2.4 and 5ghz mesh) and my globe wifi light bulbs don't work with my smart home automation. I can only guess that due to the room it's in the 5ghz signal is stronger than the 2.4ghz
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3104 posts
1701 upvotes
thingieing wrote: Bought these back in early December to use for xmas lights, they worked perfectly, no issue at all.

They are 2.4ghz & 15 amp only, if u have ISP modem/router combo, it won't work as they usually combine both 2.4 n 5ghz together even if u split them up; only standalone router will work to broadcast both 2.4 n 5ghz separately
You meant the router uses the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5.6 bands? and that will prevent setting up these 2.4-only devices?
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Feb 26, 2007
400 posts
408 upvotes
saint2e wrote: Do these need 2.4Ghz networking, or will they work with 5GHz?
Never with 5ghz. ONLY 2.4.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6530 posts
6836 upvotes
Vancouver
aprilgermany wrote: Are they good for small room heaters ?
Yes and no. They can handle a standard 15 amps, which should be fine for anything you can plug into a single outlet, including a 1500w heater.

But many heaters these days have digital controls which have to be set after you plug them in, so it's fairly pointless to put them on a remote-control WiFi plug. A really simple heater with an analog off/on switch and dial thermostat would work.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)