• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2022 2:04 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 7, 2005
177 posts
138 upvotes
Mississauga
bogolisk wrote: You meant the router uses the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5.6 bands? and that will prevent setting up these 2.4-only devices?
U could try naming ur 2.4 n 5 GHz network differently n c if it works
Jul 11, 2004
987 posts
370 upvotes
CalgaryBen wrote: Bought this 4-pk on Jan 3 for $19.98 at the CrossIron Costco. Works great!

Globe Suite app had some usability issues, I thought, but easily overcome. Even though I have 2.4 GHz APs on my network, my phones/devices all connect to the 5 GHz network, so this was a problem for the pairing process. My phone had to be on the 2.4 GHz network in order for the smart plugs to get configured (via Bluetooth). Once configured, I was able to forget the 2.4 GHz network (so, may as well scan/configure all devices in the box, so they're good to go).

Handy for lights, and very reliable. Also have one on my 3D printer, so I can remotely turn it off after prints are done. Wouldn't hesitate to get more, although I can't think of practical ways in my home to use up all 4... Face With Tears Of Joy
CalgaryBen wrote: You'll need to have created a user in the Globe Suite app (not as a guest). Set up the smart plugs in the Globe Suite app, and get them working. Then from the Globe Suite app, go to Profile, then tap Amazon Alexa under Integration. This will link Alexa to your Globe profile, and allow you to control stuff from Alexa, using names of plugs as configured in the Globe Suite app.
Thanks. Purchased a 4 pack and have them installed and working with an Alexa Routine. I'll be primarily using it for powering up/down the indoor Christmas lights inside the house. Maybe, I'll need to purchase another 4 pack since I can get a bit crazy during Christmas and may want to string up more lights indoor. At $20 for a pack of 4, that's a good deal.

BTW. For those that want a hardware smart 'button' to control your smart plug instead of using an app, I would recommend you pick up the BroadLink Smart Button https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08YJ1M3QX. Each one of the four buttons can be used to kick off an Alexa Routine.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1477 posts
2808 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
CalgaryBen wrote: Handy for lights, and very reliable. Also have one on my 3D printer, so I can remotely turn it off after prints are done. Wouldn't hesitate to get more, although I can't think of practical ways in my home to use up all 4... Face With Tears Of Joy
Another nice feature of the Globe smart plugs (not sure if other brands have this, as I've never used any others) -- there's a setting to enable Device Offline Notifications -- if the unit hasn't communicated a heartbeat for 30 minutes, a push notification lets you know it's offline.

In my basement, I had an AFCI-protected circuit that has a refrigerator on it. Occasionally, the fridge would cause the AFCI to trip. I've now replaced the AFCI at the panel and the nuisance trips have seemingly gone away, but putting one of these Globe smart plugs on the circuit will allow me to monitor for a few weeks. If I get an offline notification, I can go deal with the situation before frozen goods thaw, etc.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2017
1940 posts
2009 upvotes
CalgaryBen wrote: Another nice feature of the Globe smart plugs (not sure if other brands have this, as I've never used any others) -- there's a setting to enable Device Offline Notifications -- if the unit hasn't communicated a heartbeat for 30 minutes, a push notification lets you know it's offline.
Mercury/Geeni has it also. So if these two budget lines have it, the more mainstream ones should have it also
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3111 posts
1704 upvotes
thingieing wrote: U could try naming ur 2.4 n 5 GHz network differently n c if it works
My experience with the Prime plugs, Kasa switches, Feit switches, and Merkury sensors, etc. is... kinda different. My router (Nest Wifi) uses the same SSID or both 5.6 and 2.4 Ghz. But I have no problem setting up the 2.4 GHz devices while my phone is on 5.6GHz. That was my surprise that ppl have so much troubles. As long as the router doesn't enable band isolation then the scanning 2.4 GHz device should see the multicast packets from the phone (on 5.6GHz band.)

Honestly, the hardest device for me to setup was the Nest devices.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Oct 10, 2006
854 posts
1350 upvotes
Ottawa
Anyone see them in Ottawa?
[OP]
Jul 16, 2019
117 posts
90 upvotes
eelw11 wrote: Mercury/Geeni has it also. So if these two budget lines have it, the more mainstream ones should have it also
I'll check that feature out, it's a good one to have.
Nov 9, 2008
680 posts
258 upvotes
Ottawa
Do these not work with apple? Only google and alexa on the box.
[OP]
Jul 16, 2019
117 posts
90 upvotes
CalgaryBen wrote:

Globe Suite app had some usability issues, I thought, but easily overcome. Even though I have 2.4 GHz APs on my network, my phones/devices all connect to the 5 GHz network, so this was a problem for the pairing process. My phone had to be on the 2.4 GHz network in order for the smart plugs to get configured (via Bluetooth). Once configured, I was able to forget the 2.4 GHz network (so, may as well scan/configure all devices in the box, so they're good to go)... Ans so on...

Many things Ive learned from this post:

*Device notifications
*Check to see that setting up may need to be on the same network (e.g. 2.4 GHz used on my phone)
*Check if band isolation is not set on my router

I may just get those old plug to get working again, let's see..

It's nice and very helpful to see a whole community working together with multiple expertise at work!
Dec 31, 2018
169 posts
254 upvotes
I have the older model from Canadian tire to turn on my fan, I've had it for maybe 3 years and have had to unplug it and reset it once after a major power failure for several hours, every other outage it's come back automatically with no issue. Same with my globe lightbulbs, have had to reset it maybe twice, once at the same power failure, and once during a learning curve while my husband didn't yet understand that it needed to be in the switched on position all the time and only turned off with the app or voice command using the Google home.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3358 posts
3414 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Scote64 wrote: Yes and no. They can handle a standard 15 amps, which should be fine for anything you can plug into a single outlet, including a 1500w heater.

But many heaters these days have digital controls which have to be set after you plug them in, so it's fairly pointless to put them on a remote-control WiFi plug. A really simple heater with an analog off/on switch and dial thermostat would work.
I purchased one of these from HD, and being used with a TPlink one, and it's perfect. And one of the cheapest ones out there.
And honestly, I prefer these non digital control ones. For one as you mentioned they need to be manually turned on after getting power. And secondly, I find the digital temeprature sensors on them are just so inaccurate, they are kind of pointless in most cases.

Daughter has it in her room and she loves it.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2015
1727 posts
1249 upvotes
Mont-Royal, QC
Is $19.79 the regular price for this smart plugs? Need to buy some, anyone spotted this in Montreal locations?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
2658 posts
153 upvotes
I got 2 packs last year. The app response is much faster than Wemo or Kasa.
Jul 7, 2015
65 posts
9 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Can anyone please share the google play store link to download the globe suite app?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)