Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Google Nest Protect Battery-operated Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm, 2-pack $239.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2019 11:13 am
[OP]
Nov 12, 2017
127 posts
74 upvotes
Calgary

[Costco] Google Nest Protect Battery-operated Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm, 2-pack $239.99

Costco deal on Nest carbon monoxide detector x2, it's $10 cheaper than home depot!
Last edited by TomRFD on Oct 8th, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
36 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
2693 posts
1364 upvotes
Surrey
GiOBoY wrote: Is this a really good price?

My brain is telling me to wait till BF... Face With Tears Of Joy
Or buy it and wait till BF if not return it (not used)
Mar 7, 2008
699 posts
183 upvotes
Leask
I bought all my nest protect from Kijiji new. Seems people win them and don’t want it
Oct 2, 2019
17 posts
9 upvotes
I have been watching these for a while. Lowest i've seen has been $140, but price dropper shows that this is the lowest they have been $120 each.. I would probably go for it but I only need a single one.

https://www.*****/product/634

Edit* not sure why my price dropper link isnt working
Nov 8, 2015
374 posts
314 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Price matched at Home Depot with additional 10% off
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
22214 posts
167511 upvotes
GTA
SteveZ28 wrote: I have been watching these for a while. Lowest i've seen has been $140, but price dropper shows that this is the lowest they have been $120 each.. I would probably go for it but I only need a single one.

https://www.*****/product/634

Edit* not sure why my price dropper link isnt working
Lowest I've seen was actually around $85 at Lowe's (think around 2 years ago). This was sale price + coupon on top.
Oct 2, 2019
17 posts
9 upvotes
toguy wrote: Lowest I've seen was actually around $85 at Lowe's (think around 2 years ago). This was sale price + coupon on top.
That's a steal. I wonder if Lowe's puts them on sale often or if it was a one off... Might not hurt to wait until BF to see what happens then.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
9370 posts
12857 upvotes
GT-EH
It's also too bad you can't "mix & match"... (one hard wired and one battery).

Waiting I think is best... unless you're in dire need of one. ;)
What's the best credit card for...
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!
Aug 25, 2011
228 posts
232 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
habuyeths wrote: Price matched at Home Depot with additional 10% off
I might be wrong but I don't think HD PMs Costco
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2005
2009 posts
457 upvotes
bullbell wrote: I might be wrong but I don't think HD PMs Costco
I thought this was the case too. HD does have a promo right now for 2 Protects with $40 off. So, $260 before taxes, if you pay with 10% off gift cards, you get a savings of $5 versus this Costco one. But, I'd probably go with Costco since their return policy is better and no fear of gift cards.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
21397 posts
3362 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Just as an FYI, I'm pretty sure these are not up to code in Ontario. If you aren't doing a renovation that requires a permit you'd be OK to replace old ones but if you need a permit these won't pass the test. I think they're missing the necessary strobe functionality.

Someone feel free to correct me though.
May 16, 2010
18 posts
5 upvotes
London
Chocolinx wrote: I thought this was the case too. HD does have a promo right now for 2 Protects with $40 off. So, $260 before taxes, if you pay with 10% off gift cards, you get a savings of $5 versus this Costco one. But, I'd probably go with Costco since their return policy is better and no fear of gift cards.
I looked but I could not find anything about this 10 % off gift cards
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2005
2009 posts
457 upvotes
rob-o wrote: I looked but I could not find anything about this 10 % off gift cards
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/shell-sa ... #p31477430 here are the details. It's really any gift cards. But I recently bought a bunch of HD for my renovations.
Jan 15, 2006
36 posts
32 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote: Just as an FYI, I'm pretty sure these are not up to code in Ontario. If you aren't doing a renovation that requires a permit you'd be OK to replace old ones but if you need a permit these won't pass the test. I think they're missing the necessary strobe functionality.

Someone feel free to correct me though.
This is also my understanding. See here, and specifically this part:
According to the Ontario Building Code, a visual signalling component must conform to the requirements in the National Fire Alarm & Signalling Code. The luminous intensity for visual signalling components required are to be installed anywhere a smoke alarm is required, with a minimum of 175 cd.
May 20, 2008
105 posts
75 upvotes
haba wrote: This is also my understanding. See here, and specifically this part:
Can confirm, spoke to my building inspector, said I cannot use solely these as my detector if I am going to pass inspection.
Jul 21, 2005
371 posts
384 upvotes
Kitchener
SteveWhip wrote: Can confirm, spoke to my building inspector, said I cannot use solely these as my detector if I am going to pass inspection.
Im not exactly sure how it works but my house is a new build and i have the strobe light installed beisde the builder detector. I dont think the strobe is wired into the detector and its my understanding that it may trigger based on sound. If the alarm triggers, the sound will trigger the strobe? I could be mistaken on this.

If i am not mistaken, you could just install a strobe beside this to pass inspection. It wouldnt have to be an all in one detector/strobe solution
Something something dark side...
Jan 15, 2006
36 posts
32 upvotes
audi_rs wrote: Im not exactly sure how it works but my house is a new build and i have the strobe light installed beisde the builder detector. I dont think the strobe is wired into the detector and its my understanding that it may trigger based on sound. If the alarm triggers, the sound will trigger the strobe? I could be mistaken on this.

If i am not mistaken, you could just install a strobe beside this to pass inspection. It wouldnt have to be an all in one detector/strobe solution
The other option would be to just install alongside your current strobe detector. The advantage of the Nest Protect is the monitoring, so you'll know if your smoke alarm is going off. I'm thinking of doing the same so I don't need a monitored smoke detector through the alarm company (I have a dog and want to make sure he isn't on fire Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes).