Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Greenworks 80V 24'' Two Stage Snow Thrower - $1,599 (After $400 Savings)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2023 2:03 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 7, 2011
417 posts
370 upvotes
Ottawa
djzapz wrote: Why bother cancelling anyway, if Costco's return policy is as good as people say it is, it's really not that much of a hassle to give it a shot. I'll try mine and if I'm disappointed with the performance, I'll return it and wait for a sale on the EGO.
Cancelling now will require less work than cancelling later. But ofc Costco return policy is the only reason I considered this purchase.
Jul 15, 2019
154 posts
199 upvotes
eelw11 wrote: Yikes that last video with the Chinese guy, totally manhandling the unit. No wonder people say it “lacks” power when they use it wrong. Don’t shove it into the snow pile. Instead of taking the full height or width, do it in two passes. And why start from side he intends on blowing to > _ <
He is probably just new to snowblowers, everyone needs a chance to learn. I think his video is a good demonstration of the capabilities of the unit, I appreciate his contribution.
While convenient, one stage battery snowblowers do "lack power" on certain occasions. Are you saying everyone here looking for a two stage snowblower uses a one stage wrong?
With the help of RFD, I've saved more than $1000!!!! (Buy spending $10000+)
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
2452 posts
1484 upvotes
ArrowFlynn wrote: Your clairvoyance and insight with respect to my neighbours, their habits, their environment, and my surroundings are truly profound.

It's almost as though you can see me. What am I wearing?
Im thinking a clown suit? or perhaps the RFD Kirkland sweats with some ultraboosts?

If you have a driveway, it means you're are in a house, likely a subdivision if you're worried about neighbours... Hey, I have lived in a few of those in my day too! Not once has anyone ever complained that my snowblower was too loud. Nor have I ever received a complaint from my neighbors about the sound, most of the street has em. Im sorry you live in an area with such sensitive folks. Have fun with the new toy.
Dec 27, 2008
649 posts
615 upvotes
Psyclist wrote: Im thinking a clown suit? or perhaps the RFD Kirkland sweats with some ultraboosts?

If you have a driveway, it means you're are in a house, likely a subdivision if you're worried about neighbours... Hey, I have lived in a few of those in my day too! Not once has anyone ever complained that my snowblower was too loud. Nor have I ever received a complaint from my neighbors about the sound, most of the street has em. Im sorry you live in an area with such sensitive folks. Have fun with the new toy.
I've been annoyed by neighbours using their lawnmowers and snowblowers at inconvenient times, but I've never complained because we've all got different schedules and it's not always easy to make time for that. Having a quieter blower is pretty considerate to neighbours, especially if you have people who work graveyard shifts nearby. Not necessarily because they would complain. Odds are you'll probably never know that there's a nurse who just worked an 18-hour shift and is crying into her pillow trying to fall asleep at 8AM to rest up for her 4PM shift.
Feb 6, 2020
803 posts
767 upvotes
Psyclist wrote: Im thinking a clown suit?
Perhaps drawing conclusions based upon limited experiences isn't a useful pastime.
Oct 17, 2012
546 posts
819 upvotes
Quebec
PapaTroll wrote: Man the Costco reviews are pretty bad...
Costco reviews are often pretty bad on several things because people tend to complain about what the don’t like but happy people usually don’t write reviews
Apr 30, 2020
429 posts
363 upvotes
EAK47x wrote: Costco reviews are often pretty bad on several things because people tend to complain about what the don’t like but happy people usually don’t write reviews
Yeah i guess, I checked Amazon and Canadian Tire reviews and it's a completely different story, people seem to praise it. Guess we'll have to find out for ourselves.
Feb 6, 2020
803 posts
767 upvotes

Decreasing auger speed doesn’t seem intuitive, which may explain the negative Costco review where someone was running the auger at max and, consequently, burning through battery runtime. I wish I had a lot of snow here to test properly.

Decreasing drive speed may also explain why the user is disengaging the drive paddle in this video (wheels stop spinning forward) every few seconds:

That method will reduce snow clearing rate, but over 8 inches of wet snow is still being cleared, regardless.
Last edited by ArrowFlynn on Jan 16th, 2023 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 6, 2020
803 posts
767 upvotes
PapaTroll wrote: Yeah i guess, I checked Amazon and Canadian Tire reviews
Does Canadian Tire carry the 80V dual stage model? I can only find the 60V version on the site.

60V version is able to clear 10 inches of crunchy snow, at least:

It wouldn’t make sense for the 80V model to be worse.
Last edited by ArrowFlynn on Jan 16th, 2023 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 30, 2020
429 posts
363 upvotes
It's the 60v but IMO i consider them the same with the 80v being slightly better.
ArrowFlynn wrote: Does Canadian Tire carry the 80V dual stage model? I can only find the 60V version on the site.

60V version is able to clear 10 inches of snow, at least:

It wouldn’t make sense for the 80V model to be worse.
Feb 6, 2020
803 posts
767 upvotes
PapaTroll wrote: i consider them the same . . .
That’s what I believe too; so if the 60V dual stage is clearing over 8 inches of snow (in the above video), then it’s difficult for me to believe the 80V model can’t.
Dec 27, 2008
649 posts
615 upvotes
ArrowFlynn wrote: That’s what I believe too; so if the 60V dual stage is clearing over 8 inches of snow (in the above video), then it’s difficult for me to believe the 80V model can’t.
I'd hope it can do a whole lot more than that because my $200 single stage would've been able to handle that. Would have taken a bit longer but it would have gotten through it without drama.
Feb 6, 2020
803 posts
767 upvotes
djzapz wrote: I'd hope it can do a whole lot more than that because my $200 single stage would've been able to handle that. Would have taken a bit longer but it would have gotten through it without drama.
I was referring to the (currently two) negative Costco user reviews mentioning the thrower can't handle 8 inches of snow, which isn't supported by YouTube videos on this page. One shows approximately a foot of heavy, wet snow, and another indicates 10 inches of moderately weighted (not light) snow is cleared (60V dual stage).

Unfortunately, I have no way of determining whether this thrower struggles in deep snow at the moment.

I do like not having to push a snow blower around anymore.
Dec 27, 2008
649 posts
615 upvotes
ArrowFlynn wrote: I was referring to the (currently two) negative Costco user reviews mentioning the thrower can't handle 8 inches of snow, which isn't supported by YouTube videos on this page. One shows approximately a foot of heavy, wet snow, and another indicates 10 inches of moderately weighted (not light) snow is cleared (60V dual stage).

Unfortunately, I have no way of determining whether this thrower struggles in deep snow at the moment.

I do like not having to push a snow blower around anymore.
Fair enough, ultimately though, my point is just that hopefully 8 inches of snow is not all we're hoping for...

I hadn't seen the new review and while it's certainly a bit of a concern, it makes little sense that it would struggle with so little snow considering how, as mentioned previously, single-stage blowers also seem to handle that kind of snow just fine, so why wouldn't this dual-stage 80v thing do well? Maybe a defective unit or user error of some sort... There are similar reviews of th EGO unit, presumably from people who have no clue what they're doing.

On a tangentially related topic, I found this language on Costco.ca's FAQ:
Q: How do I return merchandise?

A: If you purchase an item that is defective or with which you are not satisfied, you may return it for a full refund. We ask that you return the merchandise:

within thirty (30) days of purchase;
in the original packaging;
with a Costco receipt.

So I don't quite understand, is there a time limit or no?
Aug 14, 2019
614 posts
849 upvotes
djzapz wrote: Fair enough, ultimately though, my point is just that hopefully 8 inches of snow is not all we're hoping for...

I hadn't seen the new review and while it's certainly a bit of a concern, it makes little sense that it would struggle with so little snow considering how, as mentioned previously, single-stage blowers also seem to handle that kind of snow just fine, so why wouldn't this dual-stage 80v thing do well? Maybe a defective unit or user error of some sort... There are similar reviews of th EGO unit, presumably from people who have no clue what they're doing.

On a tangentially related topic, I found this language on Costco.ca's FAQ:
Q: How do I return merchandise?

A: If you purchase an item that is defective or with which you are not satisfied, you may return it for a full refund. We ask that you return the merchandise:

within thirty (30) days of purchase;
in the original packaging;
with a Costco receipt.

technically yes.... but costco is pretty generous as long as you don't abuse it...
Feb 6, 2020
803 posts
767 upvotes
djzapz wrote:

The return period for a refund is within 1 year on this snow thrower if you're not satisfied. I confirmed with a Costco.ca rep. So, if you wait for a few months for a heavy snowfall to determine whether you're satisfied, you shouldn't have a problem.

A pickup for this item can take up to 3 to 4 weeks.

If you see a green checkmark under the "Warranty & Services" section on a product page that shows "90 Day Return Policy" (electronics, major appliances), then you're stuck with a 90 day return period.

https://customerservice.costco.ca/app/a ... l/a_id/585
Last edited by ArrowFlynn on Jan 16th, 2023 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 27, 2008
649 posts
615 upvotes
ArrowFlynn wrote: The return period for a refund is within 1 year on this snow thrower if you're not satisfied. I confirmed with a Costco.ca rep.

A pickup for this item can take up to 3 to 4 weeks.

If you see a green checkmark under the "Warranty & Services" section on a product page that shows 90 days (electronics, major appliances), then you're stuck with a 90 day return period.

https://customerservice.costco.ca/app/a ... l/a_id/585
Alright thanks guys

1 year should be plenty of time to give this thing a real test with a proper snowstorm.
Feb 6, 2020
803 posts
767 upvotes
djzapz wrote: Alright thanks guys

1 year should be plenty of time to give this thing a real test with a proper snowstorm.
I edited my post, above, for clarity.

If you're nervous, call them to confirm. I recorded the call. If you have a reasonable explanation (waiting a few months for a major snowfall only to discover the thrower is incapable of clearing your driveway, for example), I trust Costco.ca isn't going to give you a hard time if you request a return within a year. I purchased from Costco entirely for that reason. Otherwise, I would have looked at other brands.

I'm not expecting miracles; the unit won't be as powerful as a gas thrower. As long as the thrower works reasonably well, I'll keep it and be satisfied with an 8 year battery warranty.
Dec 27, 2008
649 posts
615 upvotes
ArrowFlynn wrote: I edited my post, above, for clarity.

If you're nervous, call them to confirm. I recorded the call. If you have a reasonable explanation (waiting a few months for a major snowfall), I trust Costco.ca isn't going to give you a hard time if you request a return within a year. I purchased from Costco entirely for that reason. Otherwise, I would have looked at other brands.

I'm not expecting miracles; the unit won't be as powerful as a gas thrower. As long as the thrower works reasonably well, I'll keep it and be satisfied with an 8 year battery warranty.
I'm not that nervous honestly. I've spent 5 figures at Costco in the past 2 years and I've only ever returned chicken that went bad well before its expiration date, I expect they'll do right by me if I have any issues.