Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Greenworks 80V 24'' Two Stage Snow Thrower - $1,599 (After $400 Savings)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2023 2:03 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 17, 2020
33 posts
58 upvotes
PapaTroll wrote: Man the Costco reviews are pretty bad...
I tried to add my review a couple days ago, went through and had a few paragraphs and then when i clicked submit it said "error". I gave up. I will post it here instead.

Bought my snowblower on Dec 29 @ $1999. It was a little more than i wanted to spend, but the last few years with my gas blower made me mad, so I didn't want to deal with gas and tune up's and all that stuff anymore. At $1999 it is still worth it, but still you are paying a premium for new technology. AT $1599 it is a steal! I'd have to say after doing a lot of research, one of the best snowblower deals on the market.

First impressions on the 2 stage Greenworks. Very very very impressed! I started by plowing 4-5 inches of snow from spots on my driveway. It through the snow way across my yard on ECO mode, and slightly farther when I boosted up the power. I have a very long driveway with a fence and my house on either side. It was able to throw the snow past the house so I can then throw it on the front yard. Never struggled at all with this, ate through the snow no problem. I then moved onto manually scraping the driveway (5-6 car) of ice and compacted snow. I left massive piles of this compacted snow (8+") and started to chew it up with the snowblower and threw it to the front. I was very impressed that while the motor pitch did lower, as it was working harder, it never stopped or lost power. I think people need to remeber that these electric motors are designed to perform under load, and the torque they have will be able to get through most snow situations. I have 0 regrets about buying this unit. I can't wait for a big snow dump here in Regina. Another awesome thing is this thing is LIGHT! Many times during this session I pulled and pushed the unit around, and didn't even use the drive motor. Way lighter than my old gas snowblower.

So quiet!
The batteries charge in about 45 minutes!
Will easily be able to clear my 5-6 car driveway on Eco mode with battery to spare. Eco mode had a ton of power still, didn't really move it from that setting unless I wanted to throw the snow a little farther.

The only issues I've seen thus far are: (And some are user errors)
1.) Make sure to raise the skid plates. Mine were very low and the scrapper on the bottom was rubbing on the ground causing it to hang up on edges of the concrete.
2.) The drive motor control on mine was a little finicky on ECO mode. I found that sometimes it didn't engage, even though it was clearly in drive. I had to slightly jiggle it forward to engage the motor. (I'm sure this is an easy fix/replacement from Greenworks, calling them ASAP.)
3.) The slowest drive motor might be slightly fast for large dumps, but just let the throttle off and then put it back on.
4.) Have to get used to pushing the power button every time you want to use the auger. I got used to it after about 5 minutes.

I have so much more to say about this amazing machine! If you have any questions, let me know! I'm hoping my tune doesn't change when I keep using this machine, but buying from Costco and the 4 and 8 year warranties give me great confidence!
Feb 6, 2020
803 posts
767 upvotes
dnel29 wrote: I left massive piles of this compacted snow (8+") and started to chew it up with the snowblower and threw it to the front. I was very impressed that while the motor pitch did lower, as it was working harder, it never stopped or lost power. I think people need to remeber that these electric motors are designed to perform under load, and the torque they have will be able to get through most snow situations. I have 0 regrets about buying this unit. I can't wait for a big snow dump here in Regina.
Okay, so clearly these units can handle over 8 inches of snow, which makes me question the two negative reviews that were left at Costco. One never knows whether shills are posting negative (for competing companies or interests) and positive reviews (for Greenworks, in this case). If you do happen to get a huge snowfall with really deep snow, please provide an update.

Make sure to raise the skid plates. Mine were very low and the scrapper on the bottom was rubbing on the ground causing it to hang up on edges of the concrete.
Yeah, I think I have to adjust the skid shoes on mine. I only used the thrower once, but the scraper snagged a couple of spots on my driveway.

In this video, the 60V thrower also seems to be scraping a few spots on the ground:

Skid shoes probably need to be adjusted.
The drive motor control on mine was a little finicky on ECO mode. I found that sometimes it didn't engage, even though it was clearly in drive. I had to slightly jiggle it forward to engage the motor. (I'm sure this is an easy fix/replacement from Greenworks, calling them ASAP.)
Uh oh. I didn't notice that. I'll have to check later. Did the speed control switch get moved (or jostled) slightly so that it was between settings?

The slowest drive motor might be slightly fast for large dumps, but just let the throttle off and then put it back on.
I was also a bit surprised that the lowest forward drive speed isn't slower.

Thanks for posting. I was a little nervous since I haven't been able to test with a large amount of snow yet. Please update if you get a chance to test with deep snow.
Last edited by ArrowFlynn on Jan 18th, 2023 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 20, 2022
43 posts
102 upvotes
FYI to anyone looking to buy still, their FB Insiders Club posted this:

Greenworks (CA - English, French)
Admin · 2d ·
For a limited time only, use promo code:COLD for 10% off your order! Just enter the code at checkout.
Images
  • Screenshot 2023-01-18 131631.jpg
Jan 28, 2017
354 posts
243 upvotes
FVProd wrote: FYI to anyone looking to buy still, their FB Insiders Club posted this:

Greenworks (CA - English, French)
Admin · 2d ·
For a limited time only, use promo code:COLD for 10% off your order! Just enter the code at checkout.
This promo code wouldn't apply to the Costco sale (this thread), though, would it?
Thanks!
Apr 20, 2022
43 posts
102 upvotes
Nam5588 wrote: This promo code wouldn't apply to the Costco sale (this thread), though, would it?
Thanks!
So sorry - I guess not - it's for their website.
Dec 27, 2008
649 posts
615 upvotes
Ordered on the 13th and received my unit today via Purolator Freight. Will report my findings once I have relevant info.

Assembly went pretty well. Two notes
-One of the cable clips was mounted backward from the factory
-One of the screws with the 5mm head was beat up or for some reason too small for the supplied 5mm hex allen wrench so I had to use my 3/16. Bit of an annoyance but nothing too bad.

Edit: I don't think it's worth writing a post for this so I'll just edit this post.

I just used mine to clear the first snow and I'd say that I'm satisfied so far. There's not a whole lot of snow but the city gave me a 5-6 inch crust to break up and the snow blower performed great. It ate up chunks of 15" old snow without any problem as well. After a solid 45 minutes of work, the battery indicator showed 50% battery left. I was on the second power setting for the most part.

I know this might sound like a lame diss at gas snowblowers from someone who just purchased an electric snowblower, but my neighbour out front had his unit break down just after I finished my driveway and I first-hand witnessed the guy lay tilt down the blower onto its handles and jam both of his arms into the auger while the engine was running no less. Could have been shear pins for all I know but in any case, it was a bit of a strange thing to see.
Last edited by djzapz on Jan 20th, 2023 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 6, 2020
803 posts
767 upvotes
A new 4 star review on Costco indicates that someone "had to do a few back and forth passes to clear the snowbank at the end of the driveway, but that's because it was left over from the previous snow storm, so at that point it was about 1 meter high and hardened.”

1 metre is 39.37 inches, so having to do more than one pass is reasonable, as long as the snow was cleared.
Feb 6, 2020
803 posts
767 upvotes
djzapz wrote: There's not a whole lot of snow but the city gave me a 5-6 inch crust to break up.
Was that what the plow left at the end of your driveway?

I wish you had created a new post. I almost missed reading this. Thank you very much!
It ate up chunks of 15" old snow without any problem as well.
15 inches snow depth? Those two negative reviews on Costco seem pretty unreliable or dubious to me, then.
After a solid 45 minutes of work, the battery indicator showed 50% battery left
I'm heavily leaning towards keeping this snow thrower.

People who got it for $1499.99+tax or less after coupon codes got a great deal, I think.
I know this might sound like a lame diss at gas snowblowers from someone who just purchased an electric snowblower, but my neighbour out front had his unit break down just after I finished my driveway and I first-hand witnessed the guy lay tilt down the blower onto its handles and jam both of his arms into the auger while the engine was running no less.
Face Screaming In Fear
Dec 27, 2008
649 posts
615 upvotes
ArrowFlynn wrote: Was that what the plow left at the end of your driveway?

I wish you had created a new post. I almost missed reading this. Thank you very much!

15 inches snow depth? Those two negative reviews on Costco seem pretty unreliable or dubious to me, then.
To answer your questions
-Yes, the plow left about 5-6 inches of semi-icy crap. By no means the worst I've ever seen though, so it's no stress test. The greenworks took care of it without any issues. The curb is weirdly angled here so it takes a bit of maneuvering, but once the tires got traction, it went right through.
-I had to manually push the snow down from the porch to the driveway, creating a snow bank around 12-15 inches tall for a short distance of around 10 feet. It was reasonably fluffy snow, compacted a bit just from being pushed around, so again, by no means a big workload. The greenworks went through it without any slowdown.

I also scraped side of the accumulation of snow on the front yard to widen the available driveway/walking path, so older, somewhat compacted snow and it went great.

I can't really imagine it bogging down from 8 inches of snow from what I've seen so far. From what I can tell, it's a bit of a balancing act between drive and auger speed and you can't just max it out and expect great results.

I'm legitimately looking forward to a real challenge with this thing now, partially because I want a reason to return it if needed, but also because it's actually really fun to use. Stops and goes on a dime, easy to move around, if you have to shovel for some reason you can just walk away from it and you don't have to hear it idle. I have to admit I'd like electronic control of the chute, but the current system is easy to use and feels sturdy.
Apr 9, 2009
8 posts
3 upvotes
GTA
Its back at the same price until January 30th. Great time to use today for those who ordered earlier.
[OP]
Jan 5, 2023
14 posts
57 upvotes
thech0sen1 wrote: Its back at the same price until January 30th. Great time to use today for those who ordered earlier.
Can't wait to test it after 15-25 cms of snow. Last week when I used it, it clogged while trying to clear the end of the driveway as it was slushy.
Dec 27, 2008
649 posts
615 upvotes
OnDeals wrote: Can't wait to test it after 15-25 cms of snow. Last week when I used it, it clogged while trying to clear the end of the driveway as it was slushy.
It could help to spray silicone or something like that in the back of the chute and around the auger. It can prevent the slush from sticking to some extent. Also works with gas blowers.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4007 posts
2868 upvotes
Kitchener
Ken_vs_Ryu wrote: Corded blowers are much cheaper and don't have to deal with batteries. You get the hang of managing it it's not a bid deal. Worst part is wrapping the cord back up each time I agree is a pita
I've found when you get those cold snaps occasionally the cord will get damaged. Besides, I don't know of any 2-stage corded blowers.
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7329 posts
1889 upvotes
So any feedback from the snowstorm today in GTA? It should be a good test later today. The snow is kinda wet and I'm concern electric ones cannot deal with it and the snowbank. I tried my dad's single stage Ego and wasn't impressed. I know this should be better but still on the fence about buying it to replace my trusted gas snowblower. I am tired of the annual maintenance like oil change, so wondering if this really works on wet snow and the snowbank.
Mar 1, 2015
145 posts
94 upvotes
North York, ON
I would buy a gas model. Less worry, last longer. Perhaps, even more power.
Aug 14, 2019
614 posts
849 upvotes
this unit performed very well today in the snow storm... did eat a 4 inch wide piece of rock and guess it got stuck in the auger and broke one of the shear pins.... lol.... replaced it and back up and running.... so far so good :)
Dec 27, 2008
649 posts
615 upvotes
UnexpectedToken wrote: this unit performed very well today in the snow storm... did eat a 4 inch wide piece of rock and guess it got stuck in the auger and broke one of the shear pins.... lol.... replaced it and back up and running.... so far so good :)
Speaking of shear pins, do any of you know if there are any compatible replacements that can be bought from stores?

I contacted support and they've pointed to Mecanair. They sell those things for $2 each but shipping is $16. I'd like to keep a little stock but the price is a bit steep.
Aug 14, 2019
614 posts
849 upvotes
djzapz wrote: Speaking of shear pins, do any of you know if there are any compatible replacements that can be bought from stores?

I contacted support and they've pointed to Mecanair. They sell those things for $2 each but shipping is $16. I'd like to keep a little stock but the price is a bit steep.
where do you see shear pins for this on mecanair? i can't find it
Dec 27, 2008
649 posts
615 upvotes
UnexpectedToken wrote: where do you see shear pins for this on mecanair? i can't find it
For some reason, they currently have this snowblower under the "grass trimmer" category.

You can also search for part number R0203424-00
Aug 14, 2019
614 posts
849 upvotes
djzapz wrote: For some reason, they currently have this snowblower under the "grass trimmer" category.

You can also search for part number R0203424-00
oh lol.. thanks