Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Greenworks Pro 21 in. 80V 3-in-1 Push Mower and 16 in. 80V String Grass Trimmer Combo $599.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2019 9:15 am
Feb 2, 2007
86 posts
37 upvotes
Ottawa
Haven't had the 5Ah version long enough to know how long the battery will last - however after using it once so far (on semi-wet grass / leaves) I was able to do my entire lawn and it hasn't even dipped one bar yet on the battery. Keep in mind the grass isn't thick or long yet. The self-propelled feature is handy though!

I'd say if you don't have a huge lawn and mow frequently the 2Ah (x2) push version with the trimmer would be a good buy. If you have a slightly larger lawn (or one with slopes) I'd recommend the 5Ah version with self-propelled option. Then if you want a trimmer, buy the separate trimmer from Costco (it's better than the one included with the combo kit - metal in parts compared to plastic).

As for Costco warranty on the mowers... I don't know what it is in writing but I returned a gas mower to them after 2 years when the handle broke and manufacturer wouldn't fix it. They took it back no questions asked. Hard to beat that. I have heard good things from EGO also as mentioned but I have also heard that it takes a while sometimes to get it done. If my mower breaks I'd rather just bring it to a store and return it instead of having to deal with the hassle of shipping it away and waiting for it to be repaired and sent back. Plus can't be cheap to ship a mower back for repair!

Oh and yes, they fold up for easy storage (in fact that's how they come in the box).
Mar 22, 2017
937 posts
868 upvotes
West GTA
thunderbolt wrote: EGO and Kobalt battery has 3 years warranty. Oddly Greenworks and Kobalt are from the same OEM but Greenworks battery warranty is only 2 years.
After 5 years most Li-Ion battery will be down to 80% of its original capacity. What makes EGO stands out is its intelligent battery management which will automatically discharge itself to 30% when it has been sitting on the shelf for 30 days. The individual cells within are also wrapped in phase change material to help dissipating heat. Most OEM batteries are shaped as a block of rectangular cuboid but EGO battery is arranged in a fan out shape to maximize the cooling surface.
That's actually an important difference - when it gets hot out (mid-30C in the sun) a lot of battery mowers will shut down due to battery overheating. That isn't fun at all, so a better cooling system helps.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1438 posts
517 upvotes
most batteries are good for hundreds of charges, with any luck the batteries should last the life of the lawnmower
Mar 31, 2018
7 posts
20 upvotes
The Greenworks 80V 5ah self-propelled lawn mower from Costco is a great price, but I can't find a spare 80v 5ah battery for sale anywhere - even 4ah seems really hard to find. The batteries aren't interchangeable with similar brands due to different slots. Maybe I should hold out for the higher priced dual battery Ego lawn mower instead? Cheapest I found was $1000 on igocordless. Need the power for a .25 lawn with taller grass - old single battery Ego wasn't adequate. Any advice (other than gas)?
Feb 2, 2007
86 posts
37 upvotes
Ottawa
Costco sells the spare 5Ah battery also usually.
Nov 17, 2002
322 posts
194 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Thanks - picked up the combo set and will see how it goes. I had an old B&D 40 V model and it was choking up all the time and required two charges on my small albeit not well kept 1500 sq foot lawn.
Jul 4, 2007
285 posts
23 upvotes
Hmm thanks for the response. The thing is, the regular price at Home Depot for the Ego 56V with 5Ah battery and charger is $598, so practically identical to the Costco Greenworks self propelled with 5Ah battery. I normally default to Costco for everything but this might be a chance to buy from Home Depot if the Ego really is that much better. Especially since I'd then have to get the trimmer separately. I'm getting to the point where I don't want stuff that's going to end up in the landfill not too long after, adn a mostly plastic trimmer doesn't look promising... I just bought a house but haven't closed on it yet (in June). Is fully fenced so I'm sure I need a decent trimmer. So many decisions.

Edit: oh wait, that's the non-self-propelled one: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ego-21 ... 1000850647
Feb 2, 2007
86 posts
37 upvotes
Ottawa
The closest EGO with self-propelled feature, battery and a steel deck seems to be $1331. It is a 7.5Ah though which is nice but not for that price difference!

FYI spare 5Ah battery from Costco is $249.
EGO 5Ah battery from HD is $298.
Sep 26, 2010
777 posts
111 upvotes
thunderbolt wrote: My experience with EGO support has been stellar. Just one call with CS and they send you replacement parts from US arrived in Toronto within 5 business days no brokerage or taxes.
If you want your money back probably Costco is the way to go, but if you just want it fixed EGO warranty is among the best.
How long have you had your Ego mower for? Curious to hear your experience.

Not sure if this brand is any good (I’m unfamiliar). While I see Ego is well regarded.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31804 posts
5876 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
grumble wrote: That's actually an important difference - when it gets hot out (mid-30C in the sun) a lot of battery mowers will shut down due to battery overheating. That isn't fun at all, so a better cooling system helps.
Why would you mow the lawn when it is that hot? It would have to be mid day (noon - 2 pm) to hit that temperature.

Mow it early in the morning or after 7 pm
Jan 31, 2011
802 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
catpurrcat wrote: How long have you had your Ego mower for? Curious to hear your experience.

Not sure if this brand is any good (I’m unfamiliar). While I see Ego is well regarded.

Bought my first EGO tools when I got my collection last fall at HD floor model clearance (self propelled 7.5Ah mower kit, 480CFM leaf blower kit, 12" string trimmer kit) all for $600+tax. Amazing deal as the mower was like new and I got 3 set of charger and batteries. The nicest thing is that I called the customer support in US for free replacement parts delivered in 5 days. As far as the tool goes they are also a big improvement over my existing counterpart. Owned the Kobalt string trimmer and never liked it due to the awkward balance and hard-to-squeeze power switch handle. The power from my 480CFM blower is awesome and the 7.5Ah self propelled mower completed my small lawn two to three times in one charge. Later on I bought a bare tool EGO snowblower to be used with the 7.5Ah & 2.5Ah batteries and the performance just blew my mind for such a small single stage blower.

I now got addicted to collect EGO tool whenever I saw them on clearance. It's important to note that EGO kept developing on the 56V battery platform and releasing more powerful battery every few years (10Ah battery released just few months ago, 560Wh battery is insane for residential market). While most competitors develop new power tool on a new battery platform (higher voltage battery with less amperage) making old tool obsolete, EGO tools from years ago can still be used with the 56V battery today. Finger crossed, I think my investment in the EGO system should be safe for the next few years.

As for the used market, EGO tools are actively traded on Kijiji. I know there are few active sellers who sells EGO tools at a competitive price as they also source from HD clearance. When I was selling my EGO ego, I also got much more inquires than with other branded tools.
Jan 31, 2011
802 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: Why would you mow the lawn when it is that hot? It would have to be mid day (noon - 2 pm) to hit that temperature.

Gee wrote:
Why would you mow the lawn when it is that hot? It would have to be mid day (noon - 2 pm) to hit that temperature.

You can even mow after dark as EGO mower comes with headlight. Not that I'd like to do that as I'd probably got bitten by mosquito.
Robb31 wrote: The closest EGO with self-propelled feature, battery and a steel deck seems to be $1331. It is a 7.5Ah though which is nice but not for that price difference!

I got my brand new EGO 5Ah battery for $150 from Home Depot when it was on clearance in Apr. Got a new 7.5Ah battery from Kijiji with receipt for $300 to be used with my snowblower.
[OP]
Dec 10, 2009
901 posts
3047 upvotes
Van Isle
Robb31 wrote: The closest EGO with self-propelled feature, battery and a steel deck seems to be $1331. It is a 7.5Ah though which is nice but not for that price difference!

If I am buying a batt powered lawn mower for $1331 it better come with "benefits" ...that's brutal. The Greenworks 60v at $599 with weed whacker is a much better option and the security blanket of Costco returns.
inappropriate signature