• Aug 29th, 2018 1:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1017 posts
131 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario

Costco ground coffee for French Press?

I use the Kirkland ground coffee (big round gold coloured can) for brewing. I gave my brewer up to our Airbnb unit, and since I’m the only one who drinks coffee and only a cup or two a day, bought the Grosche Dublin French press from Costco online. But I’m wondering if there’s a ground coffee available at the Costco warehouse that’s not too finely ground for a French press. Does anyone here have experience with using ground Costco coffee in a French press?
5 replies
Aug 12, 2012
848 posts
411 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If you're a fan of coffee, I'd highly recommend buying whole beans and grinding yourself. It's an extra step, and you need an extra piece of equipment, but the flavour is so much better. Pre-ground coffee is usually meant for a drip machine, whereas a more coarse grind is better suited for a French press. Grinding right before you brew, you'll notice the freshness right away. You also get more options if you go with whole beans.

But if you don't want to go the grinder way, I think your options are limited to Kirkland, McDonald's, Tim's, and maybe William or Zavida. I've had the William whole beans before and liked it.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1340 posts
422 upvotes
GTA
You would want to grind them very coarse aka thicker then preground coffee... otherwise they could go through the mesh filter...
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19733 posts
4341 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Frank311 wrote: If you're a fan of coffee, I'd highly recommend buying whole beans and grinding yourself. It's an extra step, and you need an extra piece of equipment, but the flavour is so much better. Pre-ground coffee is usually meant for a drip machine, whereas a more coarse grind is better suited for a French press. Grinding right before you brew, you'll notice the freshness right away. You also get more options if you go with whole beans.
+1, the coffee flavour is mainly in the gasses inside the beans. Ground beans have lost most of the real flavour as the gasses escape in 15-20 minutes.
Furthermore, ground (and whole) beans sold in mass stores are made artificially stale, otherwise the oils would go rancid in the 6-12 months they rattle around in the retail distribution channels.
Real coffee taste = freshly roasted + freshly ground + temperature controlled brewing system. Actual boiling water is too hot for coffee!
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Sep 1st, 2018 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2965 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
Jucius Maximus wrote: Real coffee taste = freshly roasted + freshly ground + temperature controlled brewing system. Actual boiling water is too hot for coffee!
My temperature control is "unplug the kettle and count to 30". Works alright for me, I haven't noticed a big difference over using just boiled water.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35568 posts
9586 upvotes
Ottawa
Shaynelle wrote: I use the Kirkland ground coffee (big round gold coloured can) for brewing. I gave my brewer up to our Airbnb unit, and since I’m the only one who drinks coffee and only a cup or two a day, bought the Grosche Dublin French press from Costco online. But I’m wondering if there’s a ground coffee available at the Costco warehouse that’s not too finely ground for a French press. Does anyone here have experience with using ground Costco coffee in a French press?
Costco coffee is "regular" grind and it will work in the french press.
"You do want a coarse grind for french press coffee. The key is letting the coffee steep for long enough to make a strong brew."
https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparatio ... ench-press

As others have said, fresh grind is always best but if you can't regular grind stored in a freezer will do.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.