Costco

Hamilton Beach Ice Cream Maker - instore clearance $19.97 YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2022 12:59 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
4715 posts
3483 upvotes
you need space in freezer to put in the container that holds the cream. Lots of space.

This one only has 1 speed, but for $20 bux if you can find it, is well worth it. I'll assume this unit actually works as advertised.
Oct 12, 2007
793 posts
459 upvotes
Vancouver
Brighton Costco is out of it. Sad.

Anyone know if they're in Still Creek?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
4715 posts
3483 upvotes
cfenton wrote: It's really expensive to make your own ice cream. You need a lot of cream if you want it to taste good and cream is expensive. I got an ice cream maker as a gift and I found it was only worth it to make unusual flavours that you can't buy in stores. Even then, it wasn't as good as high-quality store bought.
most recipes call for 1 cup of cream for 1.5 Quart, rest is whole milk. I will agree that it costs the same or more than buying HD on sale, and taste worse most of the time. But you get to control the ingredients like sugar which makes it worth it. HD also doesnt make all the flavors you want to try on from the internet.
Oct 12, 2007
793 posts
459 upvotes
Vancouver
Got one at still creek Costco. About 30ish there.
May 7, 2018
6 posts
12 upvotes
Edmonton
There was approximately 10 at South Edmonton Costco at 1pm today.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3238 posts
676 upvotes
SamG852 wrote: Ice cream makers have a wide variety of applications. If you're worried about cream cost, make some frozen yogurt.

Here are a few starter options for you.
https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how- ... r-0168873/

It's like using a cream whipper. You can use them to infuse meats, make pickles in 30 minutes, and other really cool things.
When you make frozen yogurt or ice cream do you just make enough to eat for that day? I am never found a good way from my ice cream from becoming hard as a rock once putting in a freezer for a few days.
evilYoda wrote: you need space in freezer to put in the container that holds the cream. Lots of space.

This one only has 1 speed, but for $20 bux if you can find it, is well worth it. I'll assume this unit actually works as advertised.
This is probably the biggest reason why mine has not been used in years. Especially now with food prices my freezer is stocked up when sales happen.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
4715 posts
3483 upvotes
xiaobao wrote: When you make frozen yogurt or ice cream do you just make enough to eat for that day? I am never found a good way from my ice cream from becoming hard as a rock once putting in a freezer for a few days.

I make a full batch. If it turns out too hard, then I microwave it for 10-15 secs. Then it becomes soft serve which is perfect for me.

As for not enough space to store the ice cream, stick it in a ziplock and you cram this into thin spaces between items in your freezer. Cant help you with ice cream container from the machine.
Mar 23, 2017
986 posts
1805 upvotes
Toronto
xiaobao wrote: When you make frozen yogurt or ice cream do you just make enough to eat for that day? I am never found a good way from my ice cream from becoming hard as a rock once putting in a freezer for a few days.
Youtube says if you put it in a resealable bag (freezer bag, ziploc, whatever you call it) then it will work as a perfect insulator and keep it from getting too hard. You may also need to increase your sugar content.

https://www.inverse.com/science/how-to- ... th-science
Jan 5, 2005
84 posts
23 upvotes
Kanata
xiaobao wrote:
When you make frozen yogurt or ice cream do you just make enough to eat for that day? I am never found a good way from my ice cream from becoming hard as a rock once putting in a freezer for a few days.

Hrm. I found by accident, if my cream ratio was too high, the ice cream became unscoopable.

I intentionally double a recipe https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/101 ... -ever-need but forgot to double the milk, resulting in rock hard ice cream.

Using their 2:1 guideline I have been very happy with my resulrs
Last edited by CranCrazy on Aug 2nd, 2022 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: suck at editing oh phone
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3238 posts
676 upvotes
evilYoda wrote: I make a full batch. If it turns out too hard, then I microwave it for 10-15 secs. Then it becomes soft serve which is perfect for me.

As for not enough space to store the ice cream, stick it in a ziplock and you cram this into thin spaces between items in your freezer. Cant help you with ice cream container from the machine.
Yeah I was talking more about drum to freeze that takes up lots of room. The actual icecream I could fit it in somewehre.
CranCrazy wrote: So you double everything (milk and all other ingredients) but the heavy cream?
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2015
1301 posts
1917 upvotes
Thanks OP. Picked one up. Lots were left at the Surrey Costco. I figure at $19.97, cheap enough to try and make some ice cream or frozen yogurt or fruit sorbets.
20220802_135220.jpg
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
4715 posts
3483 upvotes
You guys are buying just one lol. Buy 2 so that you can place the 2nd tub in the freezer at the same time so that you can make 2 batches back to back.

You do understand a replacement tub is going to go way higher than $20. And here comes Costco literally begging you to do that.
Jan 5, 2005
84 posts
23 upvotes
Kanata
CranCrazy wrote:
So you double everything (milk and all other ingredients) but the heavy cream?
I meant to double everything but instead double everything (cream included) except for the milk. I thought: "what's the harm?, should be extra creamy! But I basically made frozen butter". Respecting the 2 parts cream to 1 part milk keeps mine pretty scoopable. (My accidental 4 parts cream to 1 part milk was not recommended!)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
5716 posts
6957 upvotes
GTA
evilYoda wrote: You guys are buying just one lol. Buy 2 so that you can place the 2nd tub in the freezer at the same time so that you can make 2 batches back to back.

You do understand a replacement tub is going to go way higher than $20. And here comes Costco literally begging you to do that.
I don't think you'll ever need to replace the tub, if you do there's a 5 year warranty. It was very easy to make a claim for my HB coffee maker although I did have to pay a $10 shipping fee.
Last edited by tew on Aug 2nd, 2022 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2015
1301 posts
1917 upvotes
evilYoda wrote: You guys are buying just one lol. Buy 2 so that you can place the 2nd tub in the freezer at the same time so that you can make 2 batches back to back.

Why would people buy two? Especially if you don't want clutter or have limited counter space? The bowl is also massive and has to be pre-frozen for the fast ice cream making. It would be tough to fit one bowl, let alone two.

At $19.97, it's a cheap experiment. At $40 I would ask myself why I have two ice cream makers to use maybe a handful of times if it even works good.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
4715 posts
3483 upvotes
Harold91 wrote: Why would people buy two? Especially if you don't want clutter or have limited counter space? The bowl is also massive and has to be pre-frozen for the fast ice cream making. It would be tough to fit one bowl, let alone two.

At $19.97, it's a cheap experiment. At $40 I would ask myself why I have two ice cream makers to use maybe a handful of times if it even works good.
Once you find yourself needed to make 2 batches of ice cream fast, you will remember what i said.
Sep 16, 2016
765 posts
945 upvotes
A dumb question maybe… but is homemade ice cream will taste better or what? Why would you make ice cream when there are so many delicious options out there
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
3368 posts
3682 upvotes
Prince George
laurawow wrote: A dumb question maybe… but is homemade ice cream will taste better or what? Why would you make ice cream when there are so many delicious options out there
You can make it with alcohol? 🥴

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)