[ON] Hamilton Beach Sure-Crisp Digital Air Fryer $79 **No Teflon**

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2022 12:48 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2009
1273 posts
1010 upvotes
Toronto
That’s a toaster oven - not an air fryer. LOL. HB labeled it air fryer because no one wants to buy their toaster ovens
Oct 20, 2014
709 posts
288 upvotes
Trenton, on
We still get cookware with teflon as it comes with warnings. If we follow those, great. But teflon coating isn't forever, and a more expensive 3ply+ stainless steel one will last you longer, if not forever, being more expensive, less of a landfill, and let you cook at higher temps.

Plastic bottles are bpa free, as they moved to a different formula with contains bpf or somewhere along those lines. They too comes with warnings, and most likely the majority doesnt follow any of these warnings, which is where the concerns arise

Also the micro plastic involved is concerning.
Apr 25, 2017
184 posts
218 upvotes
The same people that don't think BPA and Teflon and microplastics are bad for you, are the same people that think consuming soy products make you feminine. Just ignore them and move all.
Feb 22, 2015
482 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
wildlele wrote: Google what ingesting Teflon does. Starts with a C and ends with ancer.

There’s growing evidence that regular exposure to man-made “forever” chemicals, which are used in a variety of household products, are linked to rising cancer rates.

A new study that examined the correlation between liver cancer and the presence of these chemicals in humans found that people with the highest levels of exposure have 350% greater odds of eventually developing the disease.

The term “forever” chemicals refers to the more than 4,700 available types of perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances, or PFAS, used widely across manufacturing industries — named as such because the substances degrade very slowly and build up over time

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/961105
In addition to this, Teflon can also be toxic to pet birds under certain conditions.
Sep 23, 2007
353 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto (Downtown)
Aside from all the teflon discussion, for anyone considering this toaster oven/air fryer, my recommendation is to avoid it and get a basket style instead. As air fryers, they're better in nearly every way. ATK has a good video on it here:

I've had the Gourmia one from Costco for over a year now, I use it all the time and it's still working perfectly. Unless I cook something that's going to transfer flavour, I usually clean it only every few uses and just give it a quick wash by hand. Super easy to clean and the non-stick coating is holding on 100%.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2161 posts
654 upvotes
Waterloo
wildlele wrote: No one goes and posts a positive review. Zero incentive to do so. Can't be worse than the Gourma. If it sucks, return it. Costco ftw
What are you even talking about? Lots of people post positive reviews.

Look no further than this forum. People will go out of their way to comment on quality products and they have zero incentive to do so.
| Fractal Design Meshify C | LG 27GL850 (dual) | AMD Ryzen 7 5700x | Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 FE | 16GB G.SKill Trident Z RGB | ASUS ROG Strix B450-F II | XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2 NVMe | Razer Huntsman Elite | Razer Basilisk Ultimate |
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6686 posts
6665 upvotes
wildlele wrote: Google what ingesting Teflon does. Starts with a C and ends with ancer.

There’s growing evidence that regular exposure to man-made “forever” chemicals, which are used in a variety of household products, are linked to rising cancer rates.

A new study that examined the correlation between liver cancer and the presence of these chemicals in humans found that people with the highest levels of exposure have 350% greater odds of eventually developing the disease.

The term “forever” chemicals refers to the more than 4,700 available types of perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances, or PFAS, used widely across manufacturing industries — named as such because the substances degrade very slowly and build up over time

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/961105
Sorry bud. PFOAs and all kinds of forever chemicals/microplastics are already everywhere, in our drinking water and air

Avoiding Teflon cookware does absolutely nothing, as the coatings are extremely stable and very safe to use for daily cooking once they are cured.... unfortunately, it's at the manufacturing stage where these chemicals are being released into our waters and end up in our bodies

Teflon cookware causing cancer on it's own is 100% a myth
Jan 19, 2017
951 posts
1664 upvotes
fightbriz wrote: Did you know that everything causes cancer? Eating barbecue causes cancer

You know what else causes death? Living
Yeah these fear mongers make me giggle, i mean we all have microplastics running through are veins anyways lol. We should be more worried about the stuff they aren't telling us.
Dec 5, 2010
161 posts
152 upvotes
Toronto
Since this has turned into a Teflon thread, I'd recommend anyone interested in the issue check out the film Dark Waters.
Apr 15, 2018
460 posts
621 upvotes
wildlele wrote: Knives kill people yet we still make them
Knives do not kill people. The ODD person with a knife kills people. At least that is what I see on the police reality shows.

From the horses mouth...
(of information) from the person directly concerned or another authoritative source.

https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/is-t ... ating-safe
https://www.cnet.com/home/kitchen-and-h ... fe-to-use/
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4233 posts
1904 upvotes
Quebec
fightbriz wrote: Why is everyone so anti Teflon.... Teflon is amazing, that's why it's so popular... Somehow the fear mongering got hold and people still believe it...

If teflon was so bad, do you think it would still be sold... They don't use asbestos and they make plastic bottles bpa free, and yet teflon is widely used no problem...

Besides using a pan with no antistick coating at all, what exactly is a better Nonstick coating (that isn't unaffordable)?
i used to think like that, until i understand how the real world work....just look at cigarette and other stuff that is suposed to be "safe" or "not so bad".
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
11752 posts
2604 upvotes
I think most people mistaken Teflon (PTFE) with the PFOE. PFOE is probably carcinogenic but PFTE is very safe under 450F.
fightbriz wrote: Why is everyone so anti Teflon.... Teflon is amazing, that's why it's so popular... Somehow the fear mongering got hold and people still believe it...

If teflon was so bad, do you think it would still be sold... They don't use asbestos and they make plastic bottles bpa free, and yet teflon is widely used no problem...

Besides using a pan with no antistick coating at all, what exactly is a better Nonstick coating (that isn't unaffordable)?
People around you may have weaken immune system (or live with one). Wear a mask if possible, especially if you have cold symptoms.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33252 posts
15100 upvotes
stephroll wrote: Reviews are brutal , seems like junk
They are but also I found that most Costblo reviews are like this. Better to take reviews from the same product, from elsewhere. Amazon of course, is often the opposite and reviews are "too positive"; but I think if a product is truly bad you'll see bad reviews everywhere.

Costblo has such limited reviews and I find they are almost always negative even when I look at stuff I know is good/have owned, etc. Costblo probably the worst place for reviews on anything.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33252 posts
15100 upvotes
mcfrugal wrote: That’s a toaster oven - not an air fryer. LOL. HB labeled it air fryer because no one wants to buy their toaster ovens
Here's a secret for you. That's all an "air fryer" is and all it ever has been--a convection oven. Now some of these they shape differently (like cylinders) and make enclosed and all that, but all an "air fryer" is, is a convection oven. Something that has been around since the 80s or earlier.
Apr 24, 2010
944 posts
711 upvotes
Canada
fightbriz wrote:

Teflon is still being sold because it is an amazing American invention. This toxic substance would have had been banned if it were invented anywhere else.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6686 posts
6665 upvotes
Amowagou wrote: Teflon is still being sold because it is an amazing American invention. This toxic substance would have had been banned if it were invented anywhere else.
That doesn't even make sense.

Teflon itself is extremely stable and safe. It's the manufacturing and disposal process that's polluting our waters
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3432 posts
3920 upvotes
GVRD
wildlele wrote: Can't be worse than the Gourma. If it sucks, return it.
They sell loads of those Gourmia Air Fryers. Please post what you didn't like about them.

Difficult to find a 'real' (not convection oven) air fryer that has a stainless steel bowl & basket. Instant Pot sells air fryer lids but the one I read about indeed comes with a teflon basket that has some chipping issues.
KanataKG wrote: Teflon itself is extremely stable and safe. It's the manufacturing and disposal process that's polluting our waters
Dupont really wrecked a town (and many of its people) with their manufacturing of it. There's a movie on it called "The Devil We Know". Sad movie. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7689910/

Used to be that people with pet birds killed them just be putting their Teflon pans on higher heat. Probably a lot better now since most is PFOA-free (until the next ill-health-effect discovery).

Link doesn't show the product now at the Hamilton Beach site. The extra discount EXPIRED at Costco a few days ago.
Feb 15, 2011
196 posts
202 upvotes
Toronto
I actually own both a toaster oven and an air fryer. They serve a bit different purposes.

Yes air fryer is essentially toaster oven with stronger fan & more enclosed cooking space. It does make a difference in cooking due to that tho. The airfryer tends to reach higher temp, even if you set them to the same temperature.

Air fryers tend to produce more crisp food & quicker. They work best with frozen food (fries, chicken finger, wings, etc.).

Toaster ovens will produce something similar, but it will be either less crisp or drier. But they are better if you want to cook with more control like toasts and over longer time like ribs.

Pizza hut pizza is better reheated in air fryer vs more Italian style pizza is better reheated in toaster oven. Fries way better when made using an air fryer.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2011
1081 posts
409 upvotes
$99 in Ottawa, anyone spot $79 elsewhere?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)