Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2004
1518 posts
122 upvotes

Costco & HDTVs

How does the in store selection of HDTVs differ from those available on Costco's website? I'm wondering if its worth the $55 membership for the extra year warranty (and obviously you'd get the membership out of it). I don't currently have a Costco membership so I'm not able to go in to look, and to be honest their selection online doesn't appear to be particularly interesting compared to what is available elsewhere.

Anyone have an opinion in general on their pricing / selection in store?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
182 upvotes
Burnaby
luthair wrote: How does the in store selection of HDTVs differ from those available on Costco's website? I'm wondering if its worth the $55 membership for the extra year warranty (and obviously you'd get the membership out of it). I don't currently have a Costco membership so I'm not able to go in to look, and to be honest their selection online doesn't appear to be particularly interesting compared to what is available elsewhere.

If you think about it, you don't really go to a Costco store for selection . . . of anything. You go for very good pricing on a very limited number of items. TVs there are no different, particularly since large models take up a lot of space on their pallet-racking. I just took a look on Costco.ca and based on the last time I looked at their TVs in-store, I'd say you're actually getting a considerably better selection on-line.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2218 posts
320 upvotes
Toronto
luthair wrote: How does the in store selection of HDTVs differ from those available on Costco's website? I'm wondering if its worth the $55 membership for the extra year warranty (and obviously you'd get the membership out of it). I don't currently have a Costco membership so I'm not able to go in to look, and to be honest their selection online doesn't appear to be particularly interesting compared to what is available elsewhere.

Couple of things here.

1. You can get a second year of warranty by buying a TV at any store using a premium credit card..these days most credit cards are considered premium...check out the details of your specific card.

2. Costco sometimes carries some manufacturer models not normally available to electronics stores. These models may have a few features missing..ie fewer HDMI outputs etc and are cheaper as a result. Decide what you need and then check out their models. I'm not sure right now...but they used to have a ultra-generous return policy, much better than the electronic stores..if you didn't like your set..you could return it for any reason for up to 90 days. Check it out and see if this is still the case.
Dec 23, 2006
709 posts
138 upvotes
Montreal
As mentioned above the return policy at Costco is generous (90 Days) and the staff will always be friendly. Also, Costco provide and extra year warranty. However, in store you can only use Amex or cash. Online you can use any cc you wish (in order to obtain additional warranty) however, the tvs are usually slightly more on line than in store.
Oct 22, 2007
8973 posts
2485 upvotes
London
luthair wrote: I don't currently have a Costco membership so I'm not able to go in to look,
Go with a friend, or say to the guy at the door 'I'm here for the pharmacy'. You don't need a membership to use the pharmacy.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
18621 posts
3254 upvotes
Toronto
You can walk in with a gift card, too. No membership required.