[Costco] Henckels forged diamond 17-pc block set-$129

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2019 11:41 am
[OP]
Mar 23, 2019
242 posts
128 upvotes

[Costco] Henckels forged diamond 17-pc block set-$129

This Henckels set looks very good to me.

The block itself is almost $40 not to mention all the knives.
Images
  • B20B8DEB-E72A-4D32-A6F6-CAC1DE122A58.png
Last edited by dzgzpy on Dec 3rd, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
1756 posts
550 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Thank you OP.
In for 1. Applied $20 off $100 coupon.
I can return it to Costco if I'm not satisfied with it.
Sep 1, 2008
358 posts
427 upvotes
1-man brand = low-quality crap. You can get a set with all those knives at Costco warehouse for $50.
Nov 1, 2015
929 posts
839 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
I thought 1-mans were all stamped?
Sep 23, 2005
387 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
The selection of knives in the set is excellent! All very useful and not overlapping.

Too bad about the low quality. I wish Global, etc. would have set with the same selection (for a not outrageous price).
Jan 1, 2017
58 posts
51 upvotes
Badder wrote: 1-man brand = low-quality crap. You can get a set with all those knives at Costco warehouse for $50.
Need a new set, what do you recommend?
Aug 31, 2009
757 posts
527 upvotes
Toronto
this is made in china. Not in Germany. Not worth this price.
Even with Zwilling, you have to make sure it's made in Germany not in Spain

OP can you put in the description that this is not made in Germany?
Last edited by cdfegab on Dec 3rd, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 1, 2017
58 posts
51 upvotes
200-300. I have some nice knives but they are all one offs.
Dec 1, 2005
97 posts
92 upvotes
Calgary, AB
JohnS600 wrote: 200-300. I have some nice knives but they are all one offs.
There is nothing wrong with an eclectic set, so long as they are sharp. Nothing is more dangerous that a dull knife. Look to Chef'sChoice for a good (electric is best) sharpener.

One of the top rated knives is the Victorinox 8-Inch Chef's Knife (Amazon link below). That should be your most used blade in the kitchen. If you are looking for a good name brand knife (Wusthof, Global, Zwilling Four Star), be prepared to spend near $200 for a chef's knife. I linked a good Zwilling starter set. It's on sale for $180, usually $400.

When looking for a set, don't get caught up with the number pieces. The honing steel, steaks knives, and sheers are a cheap add-on. Focus on the knives you use most.

https://www.amazon.ca/Victorinox-Fibrox ... 7486&psc=1

http://www.williams-sonoma.ca/zwilling- ... -block-set

https://chefschoice.com/collections/sha ... 1773701184
Dec 19, 2006
757 posts
703 upvotes
Vancouver
Zwilling's website is doing 50% off all their knives right now. Good opportunity to pick up some knives if you don't want to wait til their annual sale next year.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1118 posts
563 upvotes
Markham
JohnS600 wrote: 200-300. I have some nice knives but they are all one offs.
The Zwilling Four Star 6 set is a decent value set, though the 8 set has been lower for $168.
Alternatively, the Global knife sets periodically go on sale at costco.ca. Great knives and good value, better than the four stars though a bit more pricey.

One has a bolster for safety and smashing but harder to sharpen, whereas the other doesn't. Comes to preference.

Edit:
warnpeace wrote: ... I linked a good Zwilling starter set. It's on sale for $180, usually $400.
http://www.williams-sonoma.ca/zwilling- ... -block-set
Good price on the 8 piece set
Dec 19, 2006
757 posts
703 upvotes
Vancouver
BBQPEANUT wrote: I thought 1-mans were all stamped?
Nah, there are 1-man knives that are forged. Nowadays, forged vs stamped isn't a defining indicator of quality. The forged Henckels International knives are a good example of that. Also, Global knives are stamped, but those knives are very high quality.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
1637 posts
2391 upvotes
warnpeace wrote: One of the top rated knives is the Victorinox 8-Inch Chef's Knife (Amazon link below). That should be your most used blade in the kitchen.
Good recommendation.... I received this knife for Christmas last year and its the best knife Ive ever owned.
Slice any vegetable or raw meat like butter without any effort and can make paper thin vegetable slices.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2007
1199 posts
262 upvotes
Buy a quality chef knife and a pairing knife and call it a day.
Feb 22, 2017
384 posts
418 upvotes
Ontario
Lot of people commenting on what comes out to $100 for a full set of knives that the average home cook probably would do just fine with - and you can easily return - and let's be honest, most of us are gonna throw these in the dishwasher or otherwise abuse them.

Maybe provide a bit of evidence or analysis for this. It's not about whether there are better knives.

EVERY single knife mentioned in this thread thus far has people you can find saying "It's crap, never use it".

I'm willing to bet 99% of RFD users could never tell the difference between two knives in a blind test (good luck conducting such a thing ;)

The logic that the knife zealots use is similar to everything else. Never buy a speaker unless it's $5000. Never buy a TV unless it's $10,000. Never buy a car unless it's ?
Seems less about facts and more about wanting to be first or earliest to say "oooh that's not good enough look how much more I think I know than you"

If you want to suggest a knife to buy, please list the last 10 meals you prepared with it in November, or how many years you've worked as a professional chef. (Even then, many of them just use whatever comes from a restaurant supply company, it's only really fancy pants ones and ones that are being paid as part of a marketing initiative who go after these knives that boast about how much better they are than restaurant grade)
Dec 19, 2006
757 posts
703 upvotes
Vancouver
daveinsurgent wrote: Lot of people commenting on what comes out to $100 for a full set of knives that the average home cook probably would do just fine with - and you can easily return - and let's be honest, most of us are gonna throw these in the dishwasher or otherwise abuse them.

Maybe provide a bit of evidence or analysis for this. It's not about whether there are better knives.

EVERY single knife mentioned in this thread thus far has people you can find saying "It's crap, never use it".

I'm willing to bet 99% of RFD users could never tell the difference between two knives in a blind test (good luck conducting such a thing ;)

The logic that the knife zealots use is similar to everything else. Never buy a speaker unless it's $5000. Never buy a TV unless it's $10,000. Never buy a car unless it's ?
Seems less about facts and more about wanting to be first or earliest to say "oooh that's not good enough look how much more I think I know than you"

If you want to suggest a knife to buy, please list the last 10 meals you prepared with it in November, or how many years you've worked as a professional chef. (Even then, many of them just use whatever comes from a restaurant supply company, it's only really fancy pants ones and ones that are being paid as part of a marketing initiative who go after these knives that boast about how much better they are than restaurant grade)
Using your logic, why would you even buy this set when you can pick up a set of Amazon Basics knives for much cheaper? The quality of the knives wouldn't be much different. These knives just look prettier. Also, restaurant grade knives are much better than these "forged diamond" knives - using the Henckels yellow handle knives or Victorinox knives as an example. You're taking the comments in this thread and exaggerating them to laughable proportions with your analogy.
Feb 22, 2017
384 posts
418 upvotes
Ontario
ocisnicola wrote: Using your logic, why would you even buy this set when you can pick up a set of Amazon Basics knives for much cheaper? The quality of the knives wouldn't be much different. These knives just look prettier. Also, restaurant grade knives are much better than these "forged diamond" knives - using the Henckels yellow handle knives or Victorinox knives as an example. You're taking the comments in this thread and exaggerating them to laughable proportions with your analogy.
I'm not saying items don't have different quality. There's diminishing returns and preferences that affect every purchasing decision. Saying there's no point in spending $100 because you could spend $600 is silly. Especially because the fancier ones are often less forgiving.

Factors here:

- pretty cheap
- not bad looking
- return in 10 months if they don't hold up

The rest is just people going all spectrum over inability to objectively compare.

There are probably thousands of not more people who do have the Amazon Basics knives and are perfectly content with them.

Needing to have the "best" of everything is silly.
Aug 16, 2009
561 posts
451 upvotes
JohnS600 wrote: Need a new set, what do you recommend?
Most people just need a Chef or Santoku knife, a bread knife and a pairing knife.
7" to 9" Chef's knife, 10" to 10+" bread knife, 3" to 5" pairing knife.
My view is the main knife, Chef, Santoku or something similar should be the best quality your budget allows for.
I tend to get a good quality pairing knife and an average bread knife but at least 10" long.
Global, MAC, Wustof, Henckel , Victorinox, Sanelli are some good brands to name a few.
If you want the best from your knife it is a really good idea to try it or at least hold it.
Check out America's test kitchen, they had a good article on this and some good suggestions.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/art ... -knife-set
Oct 5, 2008
579 posts
645 upvotes
GTA
Canadian Tire has a "Forged Damascus Steel" Henckels set in their flyer for $400, 65% off from $1250. Knowing nothing about these things, I can nonetheless guarantee that the $1250 MSRP is BS. That aside, are these crap too? They are of the "One Man" variety.

Note - they also have a Henckles set for $99.99 that looks an awful lot like the set from this thread - but no Costco return policy.