[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
18668 posts
21305 upvotes

[Costco] Hisense 43" R6107 4K VA TV - $249.97 [Possible TV as Monitor]

Stoney Creek location.

$249.97

Cheapest 43" 4K VA TV as Monitor option right now.

10 to 12 units remaining.

Likely 4:4:4 RGB pixel structure.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Oct 1st, 2019 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
32 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1680 posts
1549 upvotes
Turkey day is coming up, I picked up a TCL 50" 4k last year @ $279.99 that i"m using as a monitor. I expect better 4K deals this year.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4514 posts
6123 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Tcalp wrote: Turkey day is coming up, I picked up a TCL 50" 4k last year @ $279.99 that i"m using as a monitor. I expect better 4K deals this year.
I think we'll see the 2018 6 series on sale. Maybe $500 for 55"? I don't think we'll see any Thanksgiving sales on the Canadian one.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1680 posts
1549 upvotes
Nikhilvoid wrote: I think we'll see the 2018 6 series on sale. Maybe $500 for 55"? I don't think we'll see any Thanksgiving sales on the Canadian one.
I'm sure plenty will have the series 4 on sale, which is perfectly usable as a monitor.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1018 posts
824 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: For those of you considering this unit, remember two things.

1. 90 day return window covers you for Black Friday regret.
2. 5 Year Warranty is $30.
It's RFD - Buy now, think later...
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3949 posts
2459 upvotes
Vancouver
redflagdealsguy wrote: I'm pretty confident it's 4:4:4.

I'm less confident it's straight RGB instead of RGBW.

I've used a 4:4:4 RGBW TV as monitor with satisfaction, prior to my UM7300.
Recent releases, only LG (not this yr) used RGBW so that isn’t an issue with hisense. I have the 65” version of this and it’s RGB. Honestly beside older LG and/or rebrand brands (RCA, Haier, etc), I doubt you will see many RGBW panels right now.

4:4:4 is there (on the 65” at least) but do note some people had issues with it unless you specifically state the input (and output on your pc) is HDMI 2.0. Auto sometime will not give you 4:4:4 @60. Basically support for this tv isn’t as automatic as Samsung, lg, Sony, etc.

The biggest issue with this as a monitor really is input lag and viewing angle. Both are poor for monitor purposes. Light reflection on the 65” model is also kinda bad. If you can live with those flaws, this is a great deal.
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10580 posts
5033 upvotes
Toronto

I'm pretty sure that my 6109 does 4:4:4, but this shows the 2018 H9E as not doing it. It would be strange that the H9E wouldn't and the 6107 would, if this is accurate, but it could be hit or miss I guess.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.
Apr 7, 2015
538 posts
367 upvotes
Vancouver Island

After researching for the 70UM6900 I got the impression that VA panels don't come in RGBW
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3949 posts
2459 upvotes
Vancouver
idiotcanuck wrote: I'm pretty sure that my 6109 does 4:4:4, but this shows the 2018 H9E as not doing it. It would be strange that the H9E wouldn't and the 6107 would, if this is accurate, but it could be hit or miss I guess.
Hisense is strange like that. For example the 2016 model does support 4:4:4. It could also be issues during the test that have being fixed afterwards or like I said the input/output issue.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/h8c
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
18668 posts
21305 upvotes
idiotcanuck wrote: I'm pretty sure that my 6109 does 4:4:4, but this shows the 2018 H9E as not doing it. It would be strange that the H9E wouldn't and the 6107 would, if this is accurate, but it could be hit or miss I guess.
AncientWords wrote: After researching for the 70UM6900 I got the impression that VA panels don't come in RGBW
Folks, I would give @Paigne's input some weight. He was providing valuable TV-related commentary back in the wild RFD days of early Summer 2018.
Paigne wrote: Recent releases, only LG (not this yr) used RGBW so that isn’t an issue with hisense. I have the 65” version of this and it’s RGB. Honestly beside older LG and/or rebrand brands (RCA, Haier, etc), I doubt you will see many RGBW panels right now.

4:4:4 is there (on the 65” at least) but do note some people had issues with it unless you specifically state the input (and output on your pc) is HDMI 2.0. Auto sometime will not give you 4:4:4 @60. Basically support for this tv isn’t as automatic as Samsung, lg, Sony, etc.

The biggest issue with this as a monitor really is input lag and viewing angle. Both are poor for monitor purposes. Light reflection on the 65” model is also kinda bad. If you can live with those flaws, this is a great deal.
I'm now inclined to believe that the Hisense R6107 43" is both 4:4:4 and RGB. Your findings below (old thread) for the 55" should translate to the 43".
Paigne wrote: Yes its 4:4:4 but remember LG are IPS panels, this is VA panels. Most prefer IPS or TN panels as monitors over VA due to VA bad viewing angle and double input lag. Thats why most monitors are now IPS or TN (gaming).
Funnily enough, while I do think IPS is superior for a TV-as-Monitor experience, I think you were overly harsh. In game mode, is the Hisense R6107 that bad with input lag? The viewing angle issue is real, and is mitigated by sitting line of sight perpendicular to the screen. This OP TV is probably best for a medium-lit room or studio in light of the reflection handling.

To the readers: There is no formal testing on the R6017 input lag out there, sadly. You may find testing of similar Hisense panels, but whether they're reflective of this panel's performance is unclear. If you're primarily working in productivity mode (2x2 split screen) as I am on my LG 43", even mild-to-moderate input lag shouldn't kill your day. When doing anything PC Monitor-related, set your calibration settings to 'Game Mode' or equivalent, to minimize input lag.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3949 posts
2459 upvotes
Vancouver
I did test on 65 r6107 around Boxing Day/week in 2017 so the info is based on memory but I remember input lag test (screen cap/picture test with timer on pc) had input lag around 40ms. Compared to your typical IPS panel of 14-18ms and most recent VA panels (and all Samsung older panels) of lower 20ms, it’s pretty slow.

Viewing angle is slightly worst than Samsung for comparison but it’s similar/within a degree or two. Reflection is a lot worst than any other tv I owned. That said it’s not an issue if no direct light of course.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3189 posts
2083 upvotes
how is this as an actual TV though? I am looking for a 43" tv that I can watch the apps netflix, crave, amazon and youtube, does this roku tv do that?

edit. just saw roku doesnt have a crave app... guess im waiting for a samsung tv then or one that has fire tv built in. ugh.

or do I buy this and a fire stick?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2295 posts
973 upvotes
Hometown
riseagainstthemachine wrote: how is this as an actual TV though? I am looking for a 43" tv that I can watch the apps netflix, crave, amazon and youtube, does this roku tv do that?

edit. just saw roku doesnt have a crave app... guess im waiting for a samsung tv then or one that has fire tv built in. ugh.

or do I buy this and a fire stick?
I have had this TV since August 2018 and I like it. The only issue I have had is the up volume button on the remote stopped shutting off after pressing it. Costco sent me a replacement under warranty but it was missing the sleep button.

I only watch downloaded content, Prime Video and IPTV through an Mi box. IMO the TV does a very good job of up scaling all content so far. It will not play avi files, unless I run them Kodi on the Mi box.

For the price if you get the 5 yr warranty, and just want a decent 4K TV I would not hesitate to give it a try. My daily usage is high about 12 plus hrs a day.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2006
2597 posts
531 upvotes
What is your obsession with small cheap TVs as monitors? They just aren’t good.

Size, price, quality: you only get to pick two.