Hisense 55" Class - U6GR Series - 4K UHD QLED LCD TV - $467.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2022 10:59 am
[OP]
Oct 27, 2021
23 posts
81 upvotes

[Costco] Hisense 55" Class - U6GR Series - 4K UHD QLED LCD TV - $467.99

Good price on a basic TV. Last year's model but it's very similar to the 2022 U6H beyond having Roku instead of Google TV.

Adding this post from d_source because the U6H is on sale too for $547.99 for the 55 inch. If you prefer Google TV and want the newer model it could be the better buy.
d_source wrote: Posted in the other Hisense thread, but will post here as well. I bought the newer 2022 model of this TV from Costco. U6H

Also on sale:
75" for $1300
65" for $750
55" for $550

These 2022 models come with GoogleTV vs the UGR that comes with Roku.
Last edited by 407BillMaster on Oct 29th, 2022 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
127 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2018
1365 posts
3610 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Nice find. Roku is a lost cause though :(
We The North!

ノ┬─┬ノ ︵ ( \o°o)\
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2017
1533 posts
1385 upvotes
A Turtles Dream in O…
michelangelo88 wrote: Nice find. Roku is a lost cause though :(
How come? (I'm out of the loop with smart TV stuff)
Can you spare some cutter, me brother?
[OP]
Oct 27, 2021
23 posts
81 upvotes
You can always just get something like a Chromecast with Google TV or Apple TV or any other streaming stick and completely ignore the built-in system. I'd assume anything on these budget models probably runs like garbage anyway.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15100 upvotes
I wouldn't call this a "basic TV". It's a big step up from low-end stuff like the TCL 4-series and Hisense R63G (those are basic TVs), and it's better than the vast majority of non-high-end stuff from Sony, Samsung. It has LD, QD filter, and additionally has VRR.

It's basically the best 55" you're getting for the money; and the best 55" under $1k...and one would be foolish to buy a 55" TV for more than $1k anyway (a 65" of the same level will be a minimal increase) so not much more to say. At $470 it's a great deal.
OutsideYourWorld wrote: How come? (I'm out of the loop with smart TV stuff)
If you're just using it as a "normal person" for mainstream apps like Netflix, Prime, Disney, etc.? Don't bother with that comment. It works fine. If you're trying to do "other things" with it, it's too closed a platform for that (technically speaking you can sideload but what are you going to sideload? lol). For normal use I see very little functional difference in any of Amazon Fire, Android TV, and Roku (I have different devices with all of these). They all have all the major apps, all log in and work fine. One thing that does suck about Roku is you can't get an ad-free/ad-blocked unofficial version of YouTube. That is a real pain compared to Android. Also if you're looking for some particular app, you should def. check it is on Roku ahead of time as it might not be.

With the U6GR TV itself (I bought the same model from Costblo US, my sister has it at her house), only problem I've seen with it is occasionally the audio not working from Primal Video properly (stuttering); but works fine after a quick reboot. That problem seems to have gone away after one of the software updates though. Other than that the build quality is not stellar--somehow my sister managed to break the optical port connector on hers :rolleyes: The transmitter was fine just the plastic that holds in the cable broke I just hot-glued the cable in place and no issues. (I have zero idea how she even did this but there's always something she breaks and then denies knowing how/when it happened :rolleyes: ) Most people don't go hamfistedly knocking things about behind/around a TV for no reason, so I doubt this will be a problem for anyone.
May 23, 2008
925 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto
What's the difference between this and the R63G Series. Does "QLED" add anything? I recently bought the R63G for a secondary TV and am wondering if this would be worth a return /exchange?
I use it with a Shield, so Roku os is irrelevant.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2017
1059 posts
789 upvotes
firestick turns any tv to smart tv really cheap.. much better OS than any stock TV in my opinion.

Can be jailbroken with *PTV directly on it

I wonder when we will start seeing mid-range tvs with 120hz and hdmi 2.1
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
2299 posts
2085 upvotes
Jordanferras wrote: firestick turns any tv to smart tv really cheap.. much better OS than any stock TV in my opinion.

Can be jailbroken with *PTV directly on it

I wonder when we will start seeing mid-range tvs with 120hz and hdmi 2.1

There are tvs with google tv directly on them, much better and less hassle. Hisense is starting to offer this in their 2022 tvs.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2018
1365 posts
3610 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OutsideYourWorld wrote: How come? (I'm out of the loop with smart TV stuff)
Just a very limited OS vs Android TV. Slow too.
If you don’t need to use the TV’s I build smart features then it doesn’t really matter.
407BillMaster wrote: You can always just get something like a Chromecast with Google TV or Apple TV or any other streaming stick and completely ignore the built-in system. I'd assume anything on these budget models probably runs like garbage anyway.
I’ve only had experience with 1 budget TV which had android TV. It wasn’t half bad. 12 gigs storage, 3gb ram, noname processor. In certain ways it was faster than a FireStick, in certain ways it wasn’t.
We The North!

ノ┬─┬ノ ︵ ( \o°o)\
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2920 posts
1305 upvotes
This thing isn't bad for office etc.

We have one that runs pretty much non-stop during business hours and it's been fine for about 1.5 years.
Oct 6, 2011
144 posts
44 upvotes
Longueuil
TVs with built in AndroidTV are usually way slower than a chromecast in my experience. Less of a hassle maybe but it's a minor headache for the experience imo.
Feb 20, 2019
173 posts
257 upvotes
michelangelo88 wrote: Nice find. Roku is a lost cause though :(
michelangelo88 wrote: Just a very limited OS vs Android TV. Slow too.
If you don’t need to use the TV’s I build smart features then it doesn’t really matter.

I’ve only had experience with 1 budget TV which had android TV. It wasn’t half bad. 12 gigs storage, 3gb ram, noname processor. In certain ways it was faster than a FireStick, in certain ways it wasn’t.

I don't know what you're rambling about. I have this exact TV, and another from TCL, and roku is very snappy on both of them.

In fact if it wasn't for the fact that they constantly "ping home", I'd give it 10/10. That's why I installed a pihole and block these DNS requests.

In fact, this Hisense TV series has been rated very high by rtings:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/u6gr

edit: wrong link
Sep 27, 2007
646 posts
1019 upvotes
Trois-Rivieres
600 nits...impressive at this price...a lot more important than what it runs on since you can change that easily by adding a stick
Jun 26, 2022
24 posts
82 upvotes
I’m seeing the 65” selling for $667.99 at Costco.
Not sure if it deserves its own post but this is the lowest price as far as I can tell since launch.

60Hz panel but has decent local dimming and brightness. Supports both Dolby Vision and HDR10+. eARC supports Atmos but no DTS:X. Blu/ray & streaming-wise you are covered quite well.

TV prices seem to have come down a lot lately.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2572 posts
797 upvotes
Vaughan
Posted in the other Hisense thread, but will post here as well. I bought the newer 2022 model of this TV from Costco. U6H

Also on sale:
75" for $1300
65" for $750
55" for $550

These 2022 models come with GoogleTV vs the UGR that comes with Roku.
Public Mobile $40/15GB
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1001 posts
671 upvotes
Edmonton
What are the odds of Costco offering more models for the upcoming BF/Holiday season?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
2798 posts
2943 upvotes
Surrey
8008135 wrote: What are the odds of Costco offering more models for the upcoming BF/Holiday season?
Pretty high imo.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)