• Dec 22nd, 2020 1:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 28, 2006
5031 posts
14065 upvotes
Winnipeg

[Costco] Hisense 55Q9G TV $997.99 shipped

Same price at Amazon but Costco comes with a 2-year warranty and 90-day return policy.
A 5-year extended warranty is $59.99
https://www.hisense-canada.com/en/home- ... android-tv

The 65" dropped $100.00 to $1597.00.
29 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2381 posts
3245 upvotes
Every TV post on RFD:

Me: "Do I want this?"
Mar 22, 2020
39 posts
35 upvotes
Would you experts say this tv is worth double the price of the 58-inch Hisense 58R61G?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4693 posts
2813 upvotes
chasjunk wrote: Would you experts say this tv is worth double the price of the 58-inch Hisense 58R61G?
A good in-between if you are torn between your wallet and your brain's desires, the Q8G. I love mine, it's almost as good as the Samsung Q70 in picture quality, Android TV beats out Samsung's Tizen...which crashes...and has ads. Q8G is a 60hz panel, which is fine unless you want to be a hardcore gamer or watch a ton of sports mostly, and Q9G has even better picture quality (brighter, even better HDR).

Some say there's an element of panel lottery, but Costco's return policy will take care of that. The week I got mine, I was staring at the panel, all corners, looking for defects...then i stopped worrying.
Sep 7, 2006
998 posts
705 upvotes
For someone that's gone through the q8g (returned that tv asap), and knows about the red tint issue on the q9g I would stay away from this lineup as a whole.
Jan 19, 2017
426 posts
120 upvotes
IceCreamGee wrote: For someone that's gone through the q8g (returned that tv asap), and knows about the red tint issue on the q9g I would stay away from this lineup as a whole.
why did you return your Q8G?
Sep 7, 2006
998 posts
705 upvotes
darXider wrote: why did you return your Q8G?
My first quirk with the tv was the packaging. They had wrapped the edges of the screen (on the physical screen) with vinyl tape which was so hard to peel off. I unfortunately did this with the screen on and felt like I was about to cause a hemorrhoid to the panel. I mean I didn't dock any points here for the tv but it gave me an idea of the build quality. The android tv on this unit is severely underpowered and unusable so let's get over that.

The main issue with the h8g is motion handling. There is nothing I was able to do to get this tv to stay focused on moving objects. Every slight move the image would ghost severely. Changing to game mode helped, along with keeping the motion enhancement on standard but it was still completely unacceptable for a tv to be this bad on this day and age (since I'm trying to venture out of plasma) despite all the rave reviews it's getting.

I wanted to go with the q9g but reading the reviews people are still complaining about motion and I feel they made no enhancements from the q8g . This and the fact the red tint issue is a confirmed widespread problem. Hisense's solution is to destroy the panel and wait for a new one or receive a cheque back. All in the span of a 3-6 month turn around.

No thanks, I'm out.

My advice? A tv is more or less a long term investment. For me I'd rather splurge a bit more and get the 55 x950 or even better the a8h for not much more. I'm not worried about vrr because even the ps5 won't be able to achieve true 4k gaming at 120hz without some other form of compromise, or maybe 5 years into the lifespan of the console when developers learn how to use their architecture proficiently
Last edited by IceCreamGee on Nov 6th, 2020 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
19299 posts
22277 upvotes
NikolaZrinski wrote: Is it safe to say that this is the best 55" TV in the $900-$1,000 range?
What is this TV compatible to in the Samsung line?

BTW: U.S. model = H9G, Canadian model = Q9G

Review
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/h9g
If you get a good panel, it's perhaps the best in this price range.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
19299 posts
22277 upvotes
NikolaZrinski wrote: Can you provide a link to what you consider the best one?
I would mix it up.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... panel+test

If there's a real problem, circling through a handful of videos will reveal it pretty readily.

You want to rule out major issues such as Bad Dirty Screen Effect, Banding, Dimming Zone issues, Dead or Stuck Pixels, etc.

Good luck.
Nov 6, 2013
423 posts
273 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Sigh. I managed to snag a 55" 2018 6-series TCL for $500 (at Costco) on Prime Day, and everything else just seems much more expensive by comparison. (Still unopened in box.) What are the chances we get something like this < $1000 on BF?
May 26, 2020
23 posts
88 upvotes
Exas wrote: Is this HDMI 2.1?
Nope. Wouldn't matter anyway, because it's not a true 120Hz panel.
May 28, 2018
100 posts
117 upvotes
chasjunk wrote: Would you experts say this tv is worth double the price of the 58-inch Hisense 58R61G?
FWIW I got the 75r61g when it was $900 and am happy.