• Oct 23rd, 2019 8:32 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13816 posts
4272 upvotes
Toronto
vonsmugh wrote: My R6107 also has some banding issue in the middle of the screen, Watched some football over the weekend and wasn't too noticeable. The real test will be hockey season. That will make or break my final decision.
I can mostly see it in dark scenes like in Game of Thrones. It's not noticeable in sports or bright scenes not unless I'm looking for it. For 500 bucks for a 4k 65 inch, I really can't complain. At 800 bucks though I would stay away from these panels.

The new TCL6 panels are way better but you're looking at over 1000 for a 65 inch, double what I paid.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2582 posts
3520 upvotes
BC
I believe this is the 2019 model while the r6107 was the 2018 model being cleared out.

I picked one up when it was $499 and will be returning it. Got the TCL Series 6 and the improvement is noticeable. Yes it's twice the price but worth it since we watch a lot of TV.

Good budget tv but don't expect too much.
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10384 posts
4697 upvotes
Toronto
If this helps anyone on the fence about this Hisense 6109, here is a mini review of the 55" which I picked up last week at $399 shipped.
Using it in a moderately lit room with little external light and I haven't done a full settings adjust, just eyeball tweaking, but I am surprised by it so far. Black level is good and quite uniform, and I see only some very moderate clouding(DSE) on left/right outer edges, and some subtle clouding(DSE) in a couple of other spots in solid color tests.In actual viewing it is unseen unless you are really looking hard for it in the exact spots, on a solid background. Quite acceptable for a $400 TV IMO. Color needs further work, but it is in the ballpark for an average user with some minor tweaks. Roku operation and Wi-Fi function have been stable and I have had no problem streaming 4K. I wasn't too impressed with the results of Prime HDR on the first try, but that may come with finer adjustment. Of course these budget TV's are not going to really be able to do HDR justice, none of them really will. HDR compatible means it will accept the signal and do the best it can with it, but they just don't have the brightness and contrast to achieve the intended result. The real surprise to me was the sound, I had very low expectations, but it is good, IMO. Obviously not a great deal of bass, from a couple of tiny speakers, but otherwise the sound is clear, voices are legible, and it can easily fill a quiet room. One helpful hint, if you try one, download the Roku phone App. It allows you to use headphones from your phone, act as a remote, enter text from a keyboard, and tweak some advanced video options not available otherwise.
Short answer I am keeping this one, I think. Hopefully these results translate to other 6109 sizes and other units of the 55", if so, I think it might be a decent buy for the average user or as a cheap second TV for the enthusiasts. I also think that the simplicity of the Roku interface and remote, makes these a good option for the elderly or technically challenged.
Last edited by idiotcanuck on Sep 14th, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2008
1225 posts
210 upvotes
vonsmugh wrote: I believe those were the R6107 clearance. This is the R6109
Yup.. my bad.. did not see this model in my store so not sure if in store price is the same...
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10384 posts
4697 upvotes
Toronto
It look like this model is online only at Costco.

Here are the Walmart.com comments on these TV's. In the US these models are the **R6E
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-58-C ... /479239112
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-55-C ... thena=true
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-65-C ... /988564886
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10384 posts
4697 upvotes
Toronto
In case it might be important to some people, here's a little media playing update.
These TV's will play personal media well, directly, or over a network. The Roku Media Player, is simple, and has a fair number of codecs, and there is a Plex channel (App) for those who are already Plexed up.
RMP had no problem playing files, from different USB sticks and a 2 TB portable drive, or from a server. Not 100% playability, but pretty high. There are also a bunch of other media player apps that can be installed, easily, with two clicks.
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10384 posts
4697 upvotes
Toronto
It looks like there are still +70 units available online, down from 95 yesterday and none available in stores. Price ends tomorrow.
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10384 posts
4697 upvotes
Toronto
Down to 57 available now.

Standard Costco TV purchase benefits. Free Shipping. 90 day return policy/Unofficial price protection, 2 year warranty, and 3 year extension (5Years) for an extra $60.
This 90 days puts you beyond Black Friday, so if there is a price drop or better offer, you have the option to return, rebuy, or upgrade to a better deal.
You also do not need to be a Costco member to buy most items online, including this.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3569 posts
2156 upvotes
Vancouver
peakingduck wrote: I believe this is the 2019 model while the r6107 was the 2018 model being cleared out.

I picked one up when it was $499 and will be returning it. Got the TCL Series 6 and the improvement is noticeable. Yes it's twice the price but worth it since we watch a lot of TV.

Good budget tv but don't expect too much.
It was actually a 2017 model. The 2018 us model was never re-released in Canada (hisense uses different model numbers in Canada). Unless this is the 2018 model but based on early reviews, it sounds like a 2019 model.
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10384 posts
4697 upvotes
Toronto
Paigne wrote: It was actually a 2017 model. The 2018 us model was never re-released in Canada (hisense uses different model numbers in Canada). Unless this is the 2018 model but based on early reviews, it sounds like a 2019 model.
It is kinda weird, the Hisense model numbers between the two countries. My understanding is that in the US the last letter denotes the production year. There is an R6E and an R7E, and the E supposedly refers to 2018, but I haven't seen any mention of an R6F or R7F (2019) in the US yet. It seems strange that they would introduce a new model in Canada first, so I am guessing that this 65R6109 was the 65R6E packaged for Costco. Maybe one of these two iterations? Like the late 2018 E1?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-65-Class-4K-Ultra-HD-2160P-HDR-Roku-Smart-LED-TV-65R6E1/988564886
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-65-Class-4K-Ultra-HD-2160P-HDR-Roku-Smart-LED-TV-65R6E/906338310

It looks like there are only 21 units left on Costco.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3569 posts
2156 upvotes
Vancouver
idiotcanuck wrote: It is kinda weird, the Hisense model numbers between the two countries. My understanding is that in the US the last letter denotes the production year. There is an R6E and an R7E, and the E supposedly refers to 2018, but I haven't seen any mention of an R6F or R7F (2019) in the US yet. It seems strange that they would introduce a new model in Canada first, so I am guessing that this 65R6109 was the 65R6E packaged for Costco. Maybe one of these two iterations? Like the late 2018 E1?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-65-C ... /988564886
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-65-C ... /906338310

It looks like there are only 21 units left on Costco.
There is a Roku model from hisense this year.

https://www.techradar.com/news/hisense-tv-lineup-2019

It’s just the r8 instead of r7 (last year) and r6 (the year before).

As far as which one this one is, I got no idea atm. I probably will dig for more info closer to Black Friday but for now I’m just keeping my eyes on on threads like this (and other forums/reddit/etc) to see what the feedback is. Smiling Face With Halo

Edit I should add, it’s not likely an r8 given the us price tag on the r8 being much higher. That said it’s not out of question for hisense to have a lower end model somewhere and not give it much press attention. Of course it’s also possible (and probably most likely) this is the 2018 r7 re-released.