Hisense 75 in. 4K Android Smart Television 75A68G - $899

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2022 6:40 pm
Tags:
Jan 25, 2016
726 posts
1130 upvotes
Toronto
I’ve been looking at buying a new TV, won’ be used as our main TV.

Does the 75U78G warrant spending the extra $900-$1000? I’ve never seen both models side-by-side.
Sep 2, 2003
551 posts
263 upvotes
York
I purchased the Hisense 55Q7G in July 2020 and its been mostly problems. Tried to do a firmware upgrade it wouldn't work. So now I have to disconnect the tv from the internet to avoid getting the notification to update the firmware. Also, the "settings" gear icon from the home screen doesn't respond to anything anymore. So I can't make any changes now.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1911 posts
1650 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: Hisense and TCL are Chinese. They are slowly becoming respected brands like how Samsung and LG did in mid 2000s. Remember there was a time people will buy a Sharp than a Samsung because people think Koreans brands are crap?

That's where Hisense and TCL are today. They have been good bang for the $ for the last 5-6 years and slowly coming up in picture quality in some top end models. Brand recognition may still take a few years and QA is still spotty as some people bought their high end stuff based on review and end up finding flaws.

If you want cheap panels, these brands are the only game in town before you start going even lower with RCA/Skyworth. LG and Samsung has cheapen a lot of their low end stuff still can't beat Chinese brands on price.

The problem today is for most eyes, the difference between a top end panel and a low end panel isn't that big. So most will pick Hisense and TCL and keep money in the pocket.

This screen is pretty large for $900. So if all you care is a large screen and little else, it's a good pick up. But don't be picky about slow refresh and crappy dimming/HDR performance tho. You are getting what you pay for.

TLDR, if I'm buying a low to mid end LG/Samsung/Sony, I may as well buy a low/mid tier Hisense/TCL equivalent and save a couple hundreds. If I'm going for the top end, I will stick with Korean/Japanese... for now.
People can easily see the difference between high end and low end, question is how much do they care? That all depends on how important watching a tv is to the person. Also, the top selling brand is samsung.. not tcl/hisense. Most people are not picking low end, data isnt backing this up at all. TCL/Hisense have limited models/sizes; so while they do have some popular models they just arent serving everyone nor do they have the retail foot print of the big companies.
Apr 7, 2007
767 posts
281 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Thanks OP. Ordered one with the additional warranty.
I have a 65" Vizio 1080p that's super nice and I'm really liking but starting to find it on the smallish side.
This is going to cause a major TV rotation in my house. 75" HiSense replaces 65" Vizio in TV room , the 65" Vizio replaces a 55" Samsung in our upstairs den, the 55" Samsung will then replace a 32" TV in our workout room.
First world problems...
Oct 8, 2008
22 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
evilYoda wrote: hisense also make kitchen appliances heh heh
Might want to look up LG's history, lol. Think my mom had a Goldstar Typewriter.
Aug 30, 2009
255 posts
78 upvotes
Very rare event, but here is my data point: bought the U78G 75 inch from costco during BF. Delivery was great, guys were super careful. The box was in pristine condition. After Xmas opened it up and discovered the screen was trashed. Like someone dropped it in the factory and still packaged it anyway. Costco returns are super easy. Just a quick phone call and they will come pick it up. Not I'm not in a hurry now to get a new set anymore so I'll just wait for a price drop.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2015
1203 posts
1570 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
HelloNanaimo wrote: I’ve been looking at buying a new TV, won’ be used as our main TV.

Does the 75U78G warrant spending the extra $900-$1000? I’ve never seen both models side-by-side.
you're mainly paying extra for the 120hz display. If you're using it for gaming, it might be worth it. If you're not gaming on it, then not worth it.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1911 posts
1650 upvotes
Amowagou wrote: How could TV's assembled in the US are of better quality than those from China? The majority of LCD panels are made in China.
Are they?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... ufacturers

More than anywhere else, but there are lots of other options. Vizio works with companies all over the world, not sold in Canada anymore.
Last edited by Kevcorm on Jan 21st, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
4395 posts
1920 upvotes
Edmonton
DeltaSingh wrote: Bought the 70R6209 in December 2020 for $560.

Fantastic bang, 4K looks crispy. Roku works well, used it a handful of times given the Shield is my primary box.

No complaints, phenomenal value.
Wow, we paid $647 for that tv back in Dec. But still worth it, no issues so far. Wife is not that picky on picture quality but i have no complaints. I find the built in apps work as good as my shield so we repurposed it to another tv.

Also have a 65" hisense about 2 years old from Costco, also no issues.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2011
5964 posts
3325 upvotes
speedrun wrote: Very rare event, but here is my data point: bought the U78G 75 inch from costco during BF. Delivery was great, guys were super careful. The box was in pristine condition. After Xmas opened it up and discovered the screen was trashed. Like someone dropped it in the factory and still packaged it anyway. Costco returns are super easy. Just a quick phone call and they will come pick it up. Not I'm not in a hurry now to get a new set anymore so I'll just wait for a price drop.
oh online returns doesn't need to be brought back in-store?

they'll come get it again from you?
Apr 27, 2017
181 posts
220 upvotes
We bought the 70" and according to Rtings we might have a VA panel instead of IPS but either way it's what I'd consider a proper entry level TV. Not a bad purchase if you are interested in a cost to performance/size TV.

Probably a repeat of what you will read on Rtings but in our use I can say the colours are good, I wish brightness was a bit better, and the black uniformity in general isn't great but not deal breaking. But again we don't use it for cinematic video. No complaints using it to show text, reports, websites, zoom calls, or the odd video. We switched out a 55" plasma TV for it at the office and I don't regret it.

From a not-my-money perspective, I could recommend. Personally, if I was already committed to $900 at this size and quality, I'd cut back eating out or frivolous amazon purchase money for a month or so, and step up to the 75" U68G or similar when it goes on sale. Or spend slightly more and step down to a 65" but when you experience +70" TVs, honestly next thing you know, you're checking prices on 85" TVs.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
8281 posts
7173 upvotes
Kevcorm wrote: People can easily see the difference between high end and low end, question is how much do they care? That all depends on how important watching a tv is to the person. Also, the top selling brand is samsung.. not tcl/hisense. Most people are not picking low end, data isnt backing this up at all. TCL/Hisense have limited models/sizes; so while they do have some popular models they just arent serving everyone nor do they have the retail foot print of the big companies.
People who post on TV threads on forums do. General users don't. Plenty people won't put a Hisense or TCL in their living room because they don't want guests to ask if they are poor or something. That's why LG/Samsung's inferior low end still outsell Hisense/TCL in North America.

Hisense and TCL is being carried by Costco and Walmart mostly. Sometimes it's not hard to find them in Bestbuy or even local chains. Their footprint is just as wide.

BUT.... the brand building is still years away. It's hard. Just like Hyundai and Kia it still perceived as inferior cars by a lot of people. People are still bitching about shitty Sharp TVs when Hisense acquired them and put their panels under a Sharp logo. It's hard to get rid of the low end image.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1911 posts
1650 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: People who post on TV threads on forums do. General users don't. Plenty people won't put a Hisense or TCL in their living room because they don't want guests to ask if they are poor or something. That's why LG/Samsung's inferior low end still outsell Hisense/TCL in North America.

Hisense and TCL is being carried by Costco and Walmart mostly. Sometimes it's not hard to find them in Bestbuy or even local chains. Their footprint is just as wide.

BUT.... the brand building is still years away. It's hard. Just like Hyundai and Kia it still perceived as inferior cars by a lot of people.
TCL/Hisense already damaged their own brand too, too many defects, poor customer service, inconsistent quality, poor smart tv functions. I wouldn't say their footprint is just as wide, the Samsung/LG/Sony sections of stores is huge and TLC/Hisense is tiny. Stuff like this really hurts a brand https://www.tomsguide.com/news/best-buy ... -heres-why

and this https://www.consumerreports.org/tvs/his ... ve%20years.

Word of mouth gets around quick, and its very very hard to overcome this kind of reaction. If its anything like Chinese branded phones, they will start to just disappear from shelves after people arent happy with them. Im also pretty sure Costco dropped TCL, but still carry Hisense for now.
Last edited by Kevcorm on Jan 21st, 2022 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2010
338 posts
268 upvotes
BillyBill wrote: you're mainly paying extra for the 120hz display. If you're using it for gaming, it might be worth it. If you're not gaming on it, then not worth it.
To be fair, the U7G has a lot more to offer

Uled, Local dimming, HDMI 2.1, 120Hz native, gets much more brighter (SDR/HDR)

Can't really compare them IMO, but it is much more expensive. The lowest i seen was $1600...which i also posted
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
1489 posts
322 upvotes
Woodbridge
Xtrema wrote: People who post on TV threads on forums do. General users don't. Plenty people won't put a Hisense or TCL in their living room because they don't want guests to ask if they are poor or something. That's why LG/Samsung's inferior low end still outsell Hisense/TCL in North America.
I guess I'm in the minority? I have a Haier in my livingroom and RCA in my bedroom. PQ and usability is adequate for my family and we use TVs for 5+ hours a day. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Hisense, they seem like decent TVs. I prefer to spend less on depreciating assets, as long as we take care of them and they have a decent track record.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2011
5964 posts
3325 upvotes

BUT.... the brand building is still years away. It's hard. Just like Hyundai and Kia it still perceived as inferior cars by a lot of people. People are still bitching about shitty Sharp TVs when Hisense acquired them and put their panels under a Sharp logo. It's hard to get rid of the low end image.
I mean if you're hanging around people or have guests that will think you're poor because of a TV brand, then that's just very shallow of them.

Though I get what you're saying and understand why people pay for the higher-end brands with anything.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2010
338 posts
268 upvotes
People like that are just plain sad. I personally couldn't give 2 sh's what people think of me or the things i have
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2011
5964 posts
3325 upvotes
nicktech wrote: People like that are just plain sad. I personally couldn't give 2 sh's what people think of me or the things i have
those are the same vain people who would get a BMW lease and struggle to make payments just so they can look good to everyone else and pretend they got money to spend
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
3568 posts
2531 upvotes
xFRUGALITYx wrote: So does Samsung, is there a point
sure, but Samsung has a better rep for tvs. Hisense seems to be everywhere and jack of all trades (appliances, home electronics) with a mediocre rep for TVs.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
3568 posts
2531 upvotes
you will hear frequently that hisense, more than current models of TCL is a panel lottery for TVs. The QA isnt there for hisense. TCL is trying much harder. Sony is more reliable for that.