• May 28th, 2022 3:52 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 7, 2007
31 posts
28 upvotes
Calgary

[Costco] Hisense U78G 75" - 1598.97

I just noticed that the U78G is on sale in the latest Costco email. I remember seeing posts about this TV.

We're in the market for a 75". Should we pull the trigger now or wait till after summer?

https://www.costco.ca/.product.8687875.html
Last edited by kellyahlers on May 23rd, 2022 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
If you're shopping for more options, take a look at RFD Reviews' top picks for the best 4K HDR smart TVs!
50 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1675 posts
5553 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Please put the screen size in the title.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23392 posts
29089 upvotes
Good value and Costco is forgiving if the panel lottery doesn't work out.

God bless.
May 31, 2005
842 posts
421 upvotes
I’m looking at this or the TCL r646.
Unfortunately Costco doesn’t have tcl anymore.
Best Buy does, but their warranty prices
are totally bonkers
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23392 posts
29089 upvotes
setTopbox wrote: I’m looking at this or the TCL r646.
Unfortunately Costco doesn’t have tcl anymore.
Best Buy does, but their warranty prices
are totally bonkers
For that reason alone, consider the Costco panel.

Their 5 year warranty is generally bulletproof and highly affordable.

Plus you can go back and forth buying, exchanging, or returning panels until you find one you like.
Jan 8, 2021
11 posts
6 upvotes
Please note that U78G 75 inch has an IPS panel ( unlike other sizes which have an VA) so contrast isn't as good. We ultimately went with 75 inch U68G from Costco since I think it will work better for us personally. The U7G has 120 Hz and other better features so it is a compromise.
Jul 19, 2015
665 posts
701 upvotes
London, ON
Thx op, hot deal. Not sure why it isn't getting more interest, it's been posted at higher prices previously and had more attention, this is as low as it's been. Rated up there with the Sony x90j, except $700 dollars less.
Nov 11, 2018
137 posts
201 upvotes
GoldenCanuck wrote: Please note that U78G 75 inch has an IPS panel ( unlike other sizes which have an VA) so contrast isn't as good. We ultimately went with 75 inch U68G from Costco since I think it will work better for us personally. The U7G has 120 Hz and other better features so it is a compromise.
I've had the 75u78g for 6 months now. Love it. Contrast, brightness and backlight make the TV Extremely bright. The picture quality and colors are nice. I appreciate the wide viewing angles - can sit at kitchen table or island bar stools and still watch a movie when all the couch seats are filled. 120hz and Xbox is truly an amazing experience. A lot of folks don't rave about dolby vision and in my opinion it's the real cherry on the top. Looks stunning on this TV - very polished content over HDR

Pull the trigger - you won't be disappointed. Mine has minor IPS glow top left. If it gets worse I will exchange. Otherwise A++
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23392 posts
29089 upvotes
xTurboZx wrote: I've had the 75u78g for 6 months now. Love it. Contrast, brightness and backlight make the TV Extremely bright. The picture quality and colors are nice. I appreciate the wide viewing angles - can sit at kitchen table or island bar stools and still watch a movie when all the couch seats are filled. 120hz and Xbox is truly an amazing experience. A lot of folks don't rave about dolby vision and in my opinion it's the real cherry on the top. Looks stunning on this TV - very polished content over HDR

Pull the trigger - you won't be disappointed. Mine has minor IPS glow top left. If it gets worse I will exchange. Otherwise A++
You are correct. This is an excellent value TV and IPS brightness makes it great in bright living rooms.
Nov 25, 2021
61 posts
182 upvotes
xTurboZx wrote: I've had the 75u78g for 6 months now. Love it. Contrast, brightness and backlight make the TV Extremely bright. The picture quality and colors are nice. I appreciate the wide viewing angles - can sit at kitchen table or island bar stools and still watch a movie when all the couch seats are filled. 120hz and Xbox is truly an amazing experience. A lot of folks don't rave about dolby vision and in my opinion it's the real cherry on the top. Looks stunning on this TV - very polished content over HDR

I have a U78G 55” and I agree with everything you say, my only complaint is that my panel has one stuck pixel, however I can’t see it from where I’m sitting. I also want to add that if you get this tv, you might want to set local dimming to medium instead of high, it made the blacks look much darker to me while barely affecting the bright parts
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23392 posts
29089 upvotes
qwertyuiop101244 wrote: Wdym panel lottery?
Some panels can have image consistency issues.

They're normally not noticeable except on an all white screen.

This is why Costco warranty, return, and exchange policy is so helpful.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
20654 posts
10137 upvotes
Oakville
For what it's worth, it has been "on sale" at this price for the last month - they just keep pushing the "price good until" date back. I know this because my sister panic bought it at the start of the month thinking that the price was going up, even though she doesn't need it till she moves into her new place next month.
[OP]
Feb 7, 2007
31 posts
28 upvotes
Calgary
It's headed to the basement movie room on Saturday! The 65" LCD can find a new home on the main floor.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I've had my eye on a new tv for quite awhile and figured I should pull the trigger sooner than later before our 15+ yr old plasma dies on our main floor.
Jan 4, 2010
294 posts
319 upvotes
Mississauga
Can someone comment on the warranty? Should I get it?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23392 posts
29089 upvotes
penner wrote: Can someone comment on the warranty? Should I get it?
$100 for 5 years is an easy yes.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
20654 posts
10137 upvotes
Oakville
penner wrote: Can someone comment on the warranty? Should I get it?
Costco TV warranty is almost always a no-brainer.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
1821 posts
1364 upvotes
Vancouver
Just curious do most people order online for TVs of this size? Since they most likely need to be delivered anyways.

Also, do the TV stand bases vary a lot in size? I'm looking for something with as reasonably narrow depth as possible as space is limited and I'm not planning on wall mounting.
Nov 25, 2020
101 posts
75 upvotes
Is the U68G best bet for non-gamers or is the U78G worth the 400$ premium ?

Usage would be Just general TV/Netflix watching on bright living room if that’s relevant.