• Nov 17th, 2022 12:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
3300 posts
1679 upvotes
Ottawa

Costco home installation services

Does anybody have experience with the home installation that Costco offers for things like air conditioners, furnaces, etc?

I want to change my windows, furnace and water heater sometime soon, and the AC sometime soonish.

I've noticed that Costco does offer some of these services. Has anybody tried it before? Is there any benefit of going with a more local company or even something like home depot?
17 replies
Oct 22, 2016
893 posts
802 upvotes
Comox Valley
eugene188 wrote: Does anybody have experience with the home installation that Costco offers for things like air conditioners, furnaces, etc?

I want to change my windows, furnace and water heater sometime soon, and the AC sometime soonish.

I've noticed that Costco does offer some of these services. Has anybody tried it before? Is there any benefit of going with a more local company or even something like home depot?
I arranged a heat pump for my mother, though Costco in the year 2013 (Comox Valley). The company who installed it went under 3 years later.

We did not have major issues with it, so did not have to call them back for any warranty issues.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7540 posts
8112 upvotes
Vancouver
Costco uses a random selection of available local contractors, as do Home Depot and other retailers that offer home installation. No point in asking how good they were in general - yours won't be the same.

A least you have a major corporation involved to ensure the local contractor completes the work and does an adequate job.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8040 posts
9015 upvotes
Montréal
My guess would be that there is a premium to go through Costco? They obviously do not offer this service for free....
Oct 31, 2014
131 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I looked into it for my furnace. The pricing was significantly higher than the quotes I got elsewhere, but if you count the Costco shop cards + 2% executive reward as cash-equivalent (I don't) then the total price was in line with the other quotes.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11081 posts
4333 upvotes
Used Costco for a new furnace and AC install in 2015. The contractor that did the installation was knowledgeable and professional. Very happy with the work. I realize there's a probabiy a premium built into the price but the Costco deal included a cash card so I thought it was worth it. Zero issues since then.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9565 posts
2181 upvotes
Somewhere
Costco AC and Heating is contracted to Husky Heating and Air Conditioning.

I once contact them directly and also through Costco, the dude called me and said if I go through Costco, it's $100 more, but I'll get a $100 Costco gift card... lmao
:confused:
Nov 28, 2020
149 posts
150 upvotes
iEyeCaptain wrote: Costco AC and Heating is contracted to Husky Heating and Air Conditioning.

I once contact them directly and also through Costco, the dude called me and said if I go through Costco, it's $100 more, but I'll get a $100 Costco gift card... lmao
Not everywhere. I had a different company reach out to me for a suburb in the NW of the GTA.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11958 posts
7125 upvotes
Paris
Scote64 wrote: Costco uses a random selection of available local contractors, as do Home Depot and other retailers that offer home installation. No point in asking how good they were in general - yours won't be the same.
Neither of these statements are true for windows and doors, no idea about the rest of it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
3300 posts
1679 upvotes
Ottawa
User452441 wrote: I arranged a heat pump for my mother, though Costco in the year 2013 (Comox Valley). The company who installed it went under 3 years later.

We did not have major issues with it, so did not have to call them back for any warranty issues.
blexann wrote: Used Costco for a new furnace and AC install in 2015. The contractor that did the installation was knowledgeable and professional. Very happy with the work. I realize there's a probabiy a premium built into the price but the Costco deal included a cash card so I thought it was worth it. Zero issues since then.
Since you went thru costco, if you needed warranty or maintenance do you call Costco or the installer?
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4598 posts
1832 upvotes
GTA
Anyone tried Costco for window coverings (specifically Hunter Douglas)? We are thinking of replacing some of our older window coverings with new ones and have no idea where to start.
Oct 15, 2010
351 posts
77 upvotes
The_Professor wrote: Anyone tried Costco for window coverings (specifically Hunter Douglas)? We are thinking of replacing some of our older window coverings with new ones and have no idea where to start.
There was a promotion last month for 15% back in Costco cash card. Now its 10% I think. Just reach out, they will schedule a virtual consultation. No obligation.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13093 posts
4703 upvotes
Ontario
Reach out to @1chinaman hes a HVAC installer in Ottawa & does quality work, I believe he has done some work for RFD users in the past too. You will likely get a much better install by going with him then some random company that Costco will send to your home.
eugene188 wrote: Does anybody have experience with the home installation that Costco offers for things like air conditioners, furnaces, etc?

Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25991 posts
10701 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Get at least a half dozen quotes, including Costco's installer.
Pick the best one if that is Costco then great, if not then don't sweat it.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
3300 posts
1679 upvotes
Ottawa
admiralackbar wrote: Described my experiences in a previous post which I linked. For the parts warranty on my furnace, I send the invoice from my gas company technician to Costco if there is any parts needed for it (only happened once so far) and Lennox sends me a cheque

lennox-furnace-ac-combo-required-2445197/#p34095016
What you mentioned is exactly why I was considering Costco as one of the vendors. If stuff goes wrong then I just ask Costco about it, I don't want to worry about some sketchy installer. I think that is worth playing a slightly higher price, up to a certain point. The problem is I always get lemons and have issues, always.
sickcars wrote: Reach out to @1chinaman hes a HVAC installer in Ottawa & does quality work, I believe he has done some work for RFD users in the past too. You will likely get a much better install by going with him then some random company that Costco will send to your home.
Cool cool, somebody local that people have worked with is key! Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5956 posts
1613 upvotes
Milton
element0 wrote: There was a promotion last month for 15% back in Costco cash card. Now its 10% I think. Just reach out, they will schedule a virtual consultation. No obligation.
Its back up to 15% back in Costco cash card until end of Oct but reading previous threads from 2018, Hunter Douglas charges 650-750 per windows.. I am assuming its higher now in 2021
Nov 16, 2022
0 posts
Save you money, the cash back card is a big pull but their costs are extremely high and you can get a better deal, even taking into account the gift card. I went with Costco due to my prior experience with purchases at Costco, but these installation services are provided by 3rd party companies and trying to deal with issues is not the same as dealing with direct purchases from Costco. I suggest you stay away.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)