Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 28, 2006
381 posts
265 upvotes
Moncton NB

Costco home installations

Has anyone used Costco home installations? I want a to have a mini-split installed in my house. Costco has a new promotion where they will boost the cash card amount by 50%
http://www.costco.ca/warehouse-instant-savings-nb.html

Lennox is the system they sell. How does this compared to LG, Fujitsu etc?
9 replies
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4135 upvotes
Ottawa
I priced a Lennox AC with them this year...they weren't even on the same playing field as others. They also refused to do an actual on-site quote and just said over the phone that it'll be between $xxxx and $yyyy (I forget the actual numbers) and there was a $700 difference between the two. I don't really care about them not coming out to see the house, but at least give me something I can ship with. The low end of the price range they gave me was also more than my other 3 quotes.

On the other side of the coin my folks had Costco Home services do hardwood at their place. The subcontractors did a very good job, although it wasn't the cheapest quote (my parents didn't really care about price) and it's kind of a crap shoot which company is Costco's subcontractor in your area.

They both lure you with a couple hundred dollar Costco gift card. At the end of the day you pay for that card plus Costco takes a cut. Not worth it in my personal experience.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2006
381 posts
265 upvotes
Moncton NB
Thanks for the heads up.
Cas77 wrote: I priced a Lennox AC with them this year...they weren't even on the same playing field as others. They also refused to do an actual on-site quote and just said over the phone that it'll be between $xxxx and $yyyy (I forget the actual numbers) and there was a $700 difference between the two. I don't really care about them not coming out to see the house, but at least give me something I can ship with. The low end of the price range they gave me was also more than my other 3 quotes.

On the other side of the coin my folks had Costco Home services do hardwood at their place. The subcontractors did a very good job, although it wasn't the cheapest quote (my parents didn't really care about price) and it's kind of a crap shoot which company is Costco's subcontractor in your area.

They both lure you with a couple hundred dollar Costco gift card. At the end of the day you pay for that card plus Costco takes a cut. Not worth it in my personal experience.
Sep 6, 2008
104 posts
12 upvotes
Cloverdale, BC
I just put in a request with Costco for a home quote... I'll be a bit cautious now that I hear of your experiences. Thank you!
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4135 upvotes
Ottawa
puccagirl wrote: I just put in a request with Costco for a home quote... I'll be a bit cautious now that I hear of your experiences. Thank you!
Nothing to be worried about...just make sure you shop around and don't expect it to be the cheapest because it has Costco's name on it.
Jan 11, 2008
646 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
I've had good experiences with the contractor that did my installs for Costco.

For both, there was an on-site consultation. I'm not sure why the OP got only a phone one...unless it was the 1-800 agent. Typically, if you go into the store, the contractor servicing the area will have some sort of presence there (usually someone on behalf of the contractor or someone from that company).
Sep 6, 2008
104 posts
12 upvotes
Cloverdale, BC
I'm really surprised that there are not many BC postings regarding central air conditioning. I wish we had a "Four Seasons Comfort" here in BC, charging ONT prices. The material cost must be similar in both provinces.. labour too.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's hit or miss depending on who the contractor is at the time. That's the problem you never know who will be coming to your house and if their work is any good.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16798 posts
2464 upvotes
habs33 wrote: Has anyone used Costco home installations? I want a to have a mini-split installed in my house. Costco has a new promotion where they will boost the cash card amount by 50%
http://www.costco.ca/warehouse-instant-savings-nb.html

Lennox is the system they sell. How does this compared to LG, Fujitsu etc?
I called Costco Home Services to get a Lennox Ductless Quote, it was one of the most expensive quotes I received. Regardless of what the salesperson says, Lennox is not known for ductless technology so it will also be a gamble to install their unit.

Here are the prices from Toronto, obtained in April 2015: ductless-air-conditioner-prices-toronto-2015-a-1728965/

I ultimately went with an authorized Mitsubishi installer and got a MSZ-GE12NA-8/MUZ-GE12NA Mitsubishi Ductless heatpump installed for $3,500 taxes inclusive.

For ductless, I recommend Mitsubishi and Fujitsu, they seem to be the best supported in Canada, especially in Ontario where both have a local warehouse. Mitsubishi has apparently been in Canada for several decades, whereas Fujitsu has been in and out. Daikin and LG should be OK too as they are large brands internationally but I'm not sure how the Canadian dealer network is like.

Mitsubishi even has cold-weather heat pump technology if you need heat below -25 degrees (standard is -15 or so).

Also, before you purchase, call the local distributor to ensure the installer is an authorized dealer ... otherwise warranty maybe void.
Mar 6, 2012
767 posts
252 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: I priced a Lennox AC with them this year...they weren't even on the same playing field as others. They also refused to do an actual on-site quote and just said over the phone that it'll be between $xxxx and $yyyy (I forget the actual numbers) and there was a $700 difference between the two. I don't really care about them not coming out to see the house, but at least give me something I can ship with. The low end of the price range they gave me was also more than my other 3 quotes.

That's weird, I had estimates done last year from Costco and a few other companies. The only reason they were more expensive than the others was because the guy didn't really know what he was doing and was trying to sell me a unit one "size" too big for my house, like a 2.5 tons when what I really needed was a 2 ton (not sure of exact numbers but I do think this is what it is).