• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2020 7:06 pm
[OP]
Jan 24, 2010
90 posts
143 upvotes
Vancouver

[Costco] HoMedics UV Sanitizer Bag $119.99

Just the regular price but seems like a good product for the current times and has the Costco return policy if it doesn’t perform as expected.
HoMedics UV-Clean Portable Sanitizer Bag
https://www.costco.ca/homedics-uv-clean ... 57218.html
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 21st, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
46 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
3147 posts
834 upvotes
Toronto
interesting.

but does it work, is the question. have no way to test myself.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1659 posts
589 upvotes
Toronto
I looked into UV sanitizing and it seems legit.

Plenty of cheaper options on Amazon though, if you don't need the portability.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
1176 posts
166 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
GSXXRR wrote: interesting.

but does it work, is the question. have no way to test myself.
set some water to boil, add some sugar (about 5 g per 100 mL), boil for 10 more minutes covered to avoid evaporation.
place about 50 mL (just under 1/4 cup) in sterilized mason jars
swab your phone with a clean q-tip (to make sure you pick up everything you could moisten the cotton with a drop of the water beforehand)
place the q-tip in the sugar water in a jar and close it loosely
leave them in a warm place for a few days - if it gets cloudy then you have yeast or bacteria
make sure to have a controls jar where you a) put nothing in the water and b) put a clean q-tip straight into the water

this can't tell if you have viruses or not, only yeast or bacteria. it's not feasible to check for viruses at home
May 10, 2017
316 posts
192 upvotes
Thanks!
Is it effective for using it to sanitize my re-usable cotton mask?
Donate to your local food bank today!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5220 posts
637 upvotes
discostupid wrote: set some water to boil, add some sugar (about 5 g per 100 mL), boil for 10 more minutes covered to avoid evaporation.
place about 50 mL (just under 1/4 cup) in sterilized mason jars
swab your phone with a clean q-tip (to make sure you pick up everything you could moisten the cotton with a drop of the water beforehand)
place the q-tip in the sugar water in a jar and close it loosely
leave them in a warm place for a few days - if it gets cloudy then you have yeast or bacteria
make sure to have a controls jar where you a) put nothing in the water and b) put a clean q-tip straight into the water

this can't tell if you have viruses or not, only yeast or bacteria. it's not feasible to check for viruses at home
Q-tip isn't sterile though
Feb 13, 2008
394 posts
204 upvotes
Hamilton
UV-C destroys plastics pretty quickly. If this really has real UV-C LEDs, they only work with line of sight so won't work with masks. And would degrade the elastic.
Mar 6, 2006
723 posts
524 upvotes
GTA
Too small and too expensive.
For a fraction of the price get a couple of UVC bulbs or even lamps with timers and build a box to fit your needs either you want to disinfect a phone or a few bags of groceries. You can use these lamps in the garage or entrance area to disinfect outdoor clothes, a room of a thick person, etc.
Make sure to understand the difference between the UVC lamps with ozone and without ozone. Each type has certain pros and cons.
I ordered from aliexpress and it obviously will take a while to deliver which is clearly a huge disadvantage.
Anyways, you can consider it for the future.
Link 1
Link 2

Another use of UVC lamps would be to disinfect the whole air in your place if you have a forced-air system (furnace).
Then you need one of these.
Oct 13, 2016
354 posts
332 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
Midav wrote: Too small and too expensive.
For a fraction of the price get a couple of UVC bulbs or even lamps with timers and build a box to fit your needs either you want to disinfect a phone or a few bags of groceries. You can use these lamps in the garage or entrance area to disinfect outdoor clothes, a room of a thick person, etc.
Make sure to understand the difference between the UVC lamps with ozone and without ozone. Each type has certain pros and cons.
I ordered from aliexpress and it obviously will take a while to deliver which is clearly a huge disadvantage.
Link 1
Link 2

Another use of UVC lamps would be to disinfect the whole air in your place if you have a forced-air system (furnace).
UVC is something to be careful with. I see people on the internet putting this stuff in their house for disinfection purposes. Keep away from those lights if you do that.
Jan 15, 2012
142 posts
39 upvotes
Vancouver
Link 1
Link 2

Good info. I'm interested in the items from the links too. My question is, how do you verify that the lights from aliexpress actually produce the correct UV spectrum? I am not sure whether we can trust the sellers, especially for something that is really a matter of life and death..
Mar 6, 2006
723 posts
524 upvotes
GTA
Badbrad wrote: UVC is something to be careful with. I see people on the internet putting this stuff in their house for disinfection purposes. Keep away from those lights if you do that.
agree 100% and potential ozone contamination is another threat to understand and deal with.
However, used properly, you can achieve great results.
Aug 8, 2008
333 posts
95 upvotes

Link 1
Link 2

Read some articles that say that hand held UVC lights are not effective.. If you can see the light and it doesn't blind/harm/burn you then it's not effective to kill bacteria.
Last edited by lexar123 on Apr 21st, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 17, 2016
13 posts
8 upvotes
Milton, ON
So far, the sanitizer bag has a large storage space to put not just my phone, but also my keys and watch, and potentially my masks. Other similar products only have dedicated space for your phone only.
Aug 8, 2008
333 posts
95 upvotes
CorneliaT557522 wrote: So far, the sanitizer bag has a large storage space to put not just my phone, but also my keys and watch, and potentially my masks. Other similar products only have dedicated space for your phone only.
The one I linked is not as big as the pouch but still pops up and is able to do more than just a phone. ( Keys and watches for sure)

Mar 6, 2006
723 posts
524 upvotes
GTA
lexar123 wrote: Read some articles that say that hand held UVC lights are not effective.. If you can see the light and it doesn't blind/harm/burn you then it's not effective to kill bacteria.
I've never suggested to handheld the UVC lights. Either build a box or use it with a remote/timer.