Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
2251 posts
1216 upvotes

[Costco] Hoover Central Vac $499 w/freeship $140 off

Hey Guys and Gals,

New house coming up so ive been in the market for a central vac and found a deal on Costco.ca. Couldnt find a lot of information online, but did figure out its made for Hoover by Canavac and is rated for 10,000 sq ft. and uses a tangential by-pass motor So im guessing its a rebranded Canavac LS750. Comes with everything you need and a 7 year warranty on the motor, as opposed to the 10 years direct from Canavac, but half the price as well.
Images
17 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2644 posts
863 upvotes
Is this a good deal? I need one in my place and I know absolutely nothing about central vaccuums...help! :)

TY
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1679 posts
696 upvotes
I went with a Husky from Costco when it had its turn on sale. Very nice unit, well reviewed here on RFD.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2004
1950 posts
622 upvotes
Nepean
Costco had a similar model to this for several years on their website and at their store. It ended up with horrible reviews after a couple of years, as the main motor would die and the unit would need to go to a Hoover dealer for service. I thought I was lucky, but mine also eventually died, and it took about a month to get it fixed. Maybe they have changed the motor, but this looks quite similar to the one I bought. Your best bet would be to check online for reviews of this model, especially if you can find reviews that are older. And/or go to a vacuum store and see what they recommend for reliability and ease of use.
Wrocky
Penalty Box
Jun 6, 2016
22 posts
6 upvotes
I have this and it works great. 7 years now.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3985 posts
725 upvotes
Windsor
If you already have central vac roughed in, how tricky is it to install the actual unit?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
9866 posts
3168 upvotes
Is it easy enough to remove an existing central vac from Beam and install this.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3919 posts
1421 upvotes
Montreal
G77 wrote: If you already have central vac roughed in, how tricky is it to install the actual unit?
It's typically very easy. The hardest part (and it isn't hard) is the minor 'plumbing' you'll need to do to get the suction pipe connected to the unit. Hopefully they also installed a dedicated power outlet nearby, otherwise you'll have to deal with that also. The outlet ends are quick and easy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
2251 posts
1216 upvotes
Wrocky wrote: Costco had a similar model to this for several years on their website and at their store. It ended up with horrible reviews after a couple of years, as the main motor would die and the unit would need to go to a Hoover dealer for service. I thought I was lucky, but mine also eventually died, and it took about a month to get it fixed. Maybe they have changed the motor, but this looks quite similar to the one I bought. Your best bet would be to check online for reviews of this model, especially if you can find reviews that are older. And/or go to a vacuum store and see what they recommend for reliability and ease of use.
I checked the old RFD threads first off actually! Good source of background info, but the 2011 and 2012 threads posted up were for an older and under powered model, using a flow through motor and rated for way less square footage. This one again uses a tangential by-pass motor (so the muffler actually works) and is rated for 10,000 sq ft. Same specs as the Canavac LS750
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3985 posts
725 upvotes
Windsor
GT!! wrote: It's typically very easy. The hardest part (and it isn't hard) is the minor 'plumbing' you'll need to do to get the suction pipe connected to the unit. Hopefully they also installed a dedicated power outlet nearby, otherwise you'll have to deal with that also. The outlet ends are quick and easy.
I presume it just uses a regular power outlet? If so, I have one right next to the pipe. What about mounting the unit to the wall?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9018 posts
10319 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Great timing. Canavac with the good motor is perfect for what I need.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1679 posts
696 upvotes
G77 wrote: I presume it just uses a regular power outlet? If so, I have one right next to the pipe. What about mounting the unit to the wall?
Yeah, it's not hard at all. The unit should come with a wall bracket.

Steps:
1. Mount the bracket to a stud. If no stud is available exactly where you want it or if the bracket needs a wider mounting point than one stud can provide, then cut a piece of plywood and mount that to the studs first, then mount the bracket. Make sure to choose a location close to the power outlet, the pipe, and such that you have enough room to drop the cover to replace the filters.
2. Hang the unit on the bracket and plug into a standard power outlet. Then unplug it again until after the wiring is done.
3. Run central vac pipe and elbows from the rough-in to the vacuum unit. Dry fit the connectors before gluing. If this is the first time, the builder probably capped the end of the rough-in pipe so you need to cut it off with a hacksaw. Use the wider turning radius for 90 degree bends.
4. Strip the ends off the power signal wires and connect them to your vacuum unit. This part might be a bit tricky if, as in my case, the installers use 4-conductor wire and you're not sure which wires go where. Easy solution is to open up one of your outlet plates and see how it was wired.
5. That's it! Plug in the vacuum unit. If you did it right, nothing should happen, and you can go into the house and try to vacuum (and it should work). If the motor fires up as soon as you plug it in, or if it doesn't fire up at all, then you've miswired the signal wires or there's a short somewhere in the system. Not a big deal, not dangerous, you just need to find it and fix it.
6. Once you're happy, go back and use PVC cement to make the pipe connections permanent (except for the connection to the vacuum itself -- don't glue that one!)

An evening's work, if even that.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3919 posts
1421 upvotes
Montreal
G77 wrote: I presume it just uses a regular power outlet? If so, I have one right next to the pipe. What about mounting the unit to the wall?
Correct, normal power outlet. However, most of these vacs are rated at well over 10 amps, so you are supposed to have them on a dedicated 15-amp circuit (meaning only the one outlet on the circuit, not shared with others). Normal wiring procedure for homes is to have multiple outlets sharing a single 15-amp circuit. Worst case if it's not dedicated is that it might trip the circuit breaker occasionally, and then you can decide if it's worth the hassle/expense of running a dedicated circuit. My guess is you'll be fine ... if the outlet was installed as part of the rough-in they should have done it properly and even if not you'll be fine as long as not much else is in use.
Jan 22, 2007
13 posts
I had the Hoover from Costco. Motor died after about 5 years. Costco actually took it back under the 7 year warranty. Went with the Husky this time instead. http://www.costco.ca/.product.100110168 ... InCategory

The Husky is a way better machine. Much more powerful and way, way quieter. Yes, it's a bit more expensive, but in my opinion worth the upgrade.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
2251 posts
1216 upvotes
Again...the older model they stocked had a way underspec'd motor they ran harder, flow through design, and was not properly muffled. This one has a higher end Tangential Motor, So the motor is going to last longer because it breathes cool air. If its using the LS750 its pushing 625 air watts with the Husky beating it doing 756, but is also 50% more expensive for only a 20% gain in power, Husky does look nice though. If it were on sale, id go for that, but cant justify when there are so many other expenses with the house purchase. Others may wanna spend more, not this fella
Jan 21, 2007
101 posts
6 upvotes
Any updates on this central vac? I'm giving it a shot. Our 20 year old Beam is on its way out.