• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2018 9:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
1631 posts
742 upvotes

[Costco] Hoover High Performance Central Vacuum - $399

This was in Costcos summer sale flyer. Been waiting for it to go on sale. Original is $530.

Really good deal if you need to replace your central vacuum.
Last edited by TomRFD on Jun 21st, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title was missing retailer
21 replies
Mar 7, 2013
134 posts
75 upvotes
Ontario
People still use central vac??? I thought those went the way of the answering machine. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
15631 posts
1925 upvotes
Out west
redon2 wrote: People still use central vac??? I thought those went the way of the answering machine. Face With Tears Of Joy
????? Not understanding how these are thought of as old or outdated. Id never go back to just a stand alone vaccuum.
Last edited by WikkiWikki on Jun 21st, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 25, 2008
323 posts
27 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote: ????? Not understanding how these are thought of as old or outdated
QFT, they're way more convenient than carrying around a bloody machine. I'll take my central vac over ANY regular vacuum.
Apr 20, 2006
740 posts
400 upvotes
redon2 wrote: People still use central vac??? I thought those went the way of the answering machine. Face With Tears Of Joy
ummmm? what? better get back under that bridge
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4328 posts
552 upvotes
how much to get someone to install usually? looking to replace our 30 year old central vac
Mar 7, 2013
134 posts
75 upvotes
Ontario
WikkiWikki wrote: ????? Not understanding how these are thought of as old or outdated
A quality vacuum, for the same/similar sale price, does the same job without the inconvenience of plugging/moving the bulky tube room to room (Li-Ion vacs are actually legit now). Homes have (essentially) stopped being built with them. Companies still make them but nothing to the scale that it was...like how you can still buy USB floppy drives

Maybe it's a generational thing but friends/family I know that have central vac never used it. Mom switched sometime in the late 90's. It just seems like one of those things that are better to upgrade rather than fix/replace. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe it's one of those things older people do because that's how they've been doing it their whole lives.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
15631 posts
1925 upvotes
Out west
mingyang wrote: how much to get someone to install usually? looking to replace our 30 year old central vac
If you already have one, you can do it yourself. The inside locations will work the same, the two wire are already hooked up inside so when you connect the hose, it will activate

You may have to buy an extra elbow or two becaue the intake may be in a different spot

We replaced a 20 year old one last fall. Took me half an hour. Remove the old bracket and replace with the new brakcet, connect the two wires and then your intake hose
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
15631 posts
1925 upvotes
Out west
redon2 wrote: A quality vacuum, for the same/similar sale price, does the same job without the inconvenience of plugging/moving the bulky tube room to room (Li-Ion vacs are actually legit now). Homes have (essentially) stopped being built with them. Companies still make them but nothing to the scale that it was...like how you can still buy USB floppy drives

Maybe it's a generational thing but friends/family I know that have central vac never used it. Mom switched sometime in the late 90's. It just seems like one of those things that are better to upgrade rather than fix/replace. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe it's one of those things older people do because that's how they've been doing it their whole lives.
I was using them in my mid 20;s with our first home, so dont know where you get "older people"

It really is personal preference, since we use ours more to just vacuum floors, with the attachments, etc I can so more things up high then I ever could with a stand alone. With the extensions, wands and brushes I can get cobwebs from our vaulted celing anytime, with no ladder.

Dont think I could do that with a stand alone
Mar 7, 2013
134 posts
75 upvotes
Ontario
WikkiWikki wrote: If you already have one, you can do it yourself. The inside locations will work the same, the two wire are already hooked up inside so when you connect the hose, it will activate

You may have to buy an extra elbow or two becaue the intake may be in a different spot

We replaced a 20 year old one last fall. Took me half an hour. Remove the old bracket and replace with the new brakcet, connect the two wires and then your intake hose
Also, this. A lot of people would be uncomfortable with anything electrical when it comes to doing their own wiring. It's a simple job but DIY isn't for everyone.
Last edited by redon2 on Jun 21st, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 7, 2013
134 posts
75 upvotes
Ontario
WikkiWikki wrote: Which means???
Edited to elaborate. Not trying to shit on a good deal post. Was just legit surprised people still use these. I got Li-ion Samsung vac on sale here and it was A GAME CHANGER. So light and simple, easily can do my whole place on a charge and it has no issue with tons of dog hair. Since I got it, my floor are so much cleaner as it feels like less of a chore going from room to room plugging things in. That and quick clean ups have become a 5 second job...it looks good and takes up no space sitting ready to use in the corner of my living room. in summary, much more convenient options exist at similar price points IMHO.
Last edited by redon2 on Jun 21st, 2018 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Feb 13, 2004
769 posts
125 upvotes
Vancouver
Main advantage of central vac is its powerful motor which is alot bigger since it is stored away in your garage, and not have to be smaller and lightweight to be portable when you lug in around the house. This gives it an insane amount of suction power, even more then a miele. Also unless you are using a vacuum with a bag such as miele, you also dont have to worry about dust escaping while vacuuming e.g. dysons as it will all be transported to where your main unit is located.

I am on the fence right now and deciding between this as my new home has the ruff ins for a central vac or a miele which will be almost just as good, but I can take it with me easily if I ever move.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
15631 posts
1925 upvotes
Out west
redon2 wrote: Edited to elaborate. Not trying to shit on a good deal post. Was just legit surprised people still use these. I got Li-ion samsung vac on sale here and it was A GAME CHANGER. So light and simple, easily can do my whole place on a change and it has no issue with tons of dog hair. Since I got it my floor are so much clearer as it feels like less of a chore going from room to room plugging things in.
Thats the thing, it works for you and your lifestyle and your home. Others have other uses for central vacs. Some installed in garages can double as a garage vaccuum as well. Mine does and use it for that.

I dont understand room to room plugging things in. Do you understand central vacs. Usually there is one, maybe two intakes per floor. You dont have to move the hose and plug it into each room. The hose is long enough depending on house size to get an entire floor on one, or two instakes

You leave yours in the corner of the living room for people to see? Mines stored in a closet out of site. whats better?

Its not apples to apples at all.
Last edited by WikkiWikki on Jun 21st, 2018 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)