• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2019 10:40 pm
[OP]
Apr 29, 2014
823 posts
214 upvotes
Pickering, ON

[Costco] Hot BigVac 15L wet and dry Vacuum $40

No time to add details right now.. I'm in the line to cash out.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/big-va ... 1001128402
Images
  • IMG_20190913_174841.jpg
  • IMG_20190913_174848.jpg
  • IMG_20190913_174853.jpg
12 replies
Oct 4, 2010
137 posts
82 upvotes
Burlington
Price on this unit looks great, but the reviews I could find aren't great, evidently very loud, questionable build quality, and bags are hard to find.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1590 posts
804 upvotes
How much horse power?
I'll Keep It Short and Sweet. Family, Religion, Friendship ... These Are the Three Demons You Must Slay if You Wish to Succeed in Business
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
1997 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
I'm very interested in what people think about this one. I just bought a Ridgid a couple of weeks ago for over double the price!
Jan 9, 2014
621 posts
460 upvotes
Regina
Bought it, gonna return. Cheaply made
Sep 8, 2019
5 posts
7 upvotes
The most you can get is 2.4 HP from a 120v 15amp plug.
Dec 11, 2003
862 posts
152 upvotes
Montreal
If you look at previous threads on this item, the consensus is that it's not that great.

It will do okay for small stuff but if you're looking for heavy duty, stay away
HOW CAN I BE GOING BROKE WHEN I'M SAVING SO MUCH MONEY!?
(shamelessly copied since this is best signature ever)
Oct 17, 2015
395 posts
94 upvotes
Mississauga
Choobles wrote:
Sep 13th, 2019 9:46 pm
The most you can get is 2.4 HP from a 120v 15amp plug.
This is actually wrong, that is the most you can get safely without causing overheating of wires and the load.

From my knowledge and understanding (only a undergrad student in engineering); the horsepower rating on vacuum cleaners is calculated using the inrush current at low operating temperatures. (typically below freezing temperatures to inflate measurements), lower temperature means lower resistance. Therefore, using Ohm's Law [V=IR], as the resistance is reduced the current increases.

The inrush current is the instantaneous current when a load is turned on, typically to power the electrical components. A 12 amp motor can easily achieve a 30 amp in rush current and some are able to reach about 50 amps (typically lasts for about 10ms). As 5,5hp is equal to approximately 4 kilowatts. (1HP = 745.7 watts). 4000w/120v= 33.5amps (I=P/V) (which falls in the typical in rush current of a 10-12amp load).

Peak horsepower is not a measure of suction power. Suction power is best measured through Air Watts (flow rate*suction power*constant) and cfm (flow rate).

Overcurrent/load protection (e.g Circuit Breaker) is generally created to allow high in rush current but prevent short circuit or high load faults.
Jan 5, 2007
274 posts
112 upvotes
Gigi wrote:
Sep 13th, 2019 9:31 pm
I'm very interested in what people think about this one. I just bought a Ridgid a couple of weeks ago for over double the price!
I have 2 Ridgid vacs (1 smaller and 1 large). They are definitely worth it if you are using them often. I like the Ridgid vacs for their usability and robustness. They also tend to be less loud.

I haven't tried this one but for tools you generally get what you pay for. Cheap (when buying new) tools are OK for one off home projects but after a while they get tiresome to use or they break faster.
Nov 25, 2002
651 posts
154 upvotes
Kelowna
Gigi wrote:
Sep 13th, 2019 9:31 pm
Thing with the Ridgid is the availability and selection of accessories and replacement parts. The filter selection alone is great... regular, drywall, hepa, etc. Plus all the attachments available.
[OP]
Apr 29, 2014
823 posts
214 upvotes
Pickering, ON
I used it this weekend for for general cleaning around the house and it seems great. I will only use it for cleaning the minivan and rugs around the house.

$40 for is awesome for that use. If you need something for a factory I suggest getting something else.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1810 posts
1184 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I usually buy the ShopVac units. Canadian Tire every so often puts the 5-6Gallon units on sale for about $50 or so (presently $70 this week for a 5gallon - but not the lowest price of season). I'm on my second one in 20+ years, and they go through a lot of abuse, including spills around the house, garage/shop, cleaning cars, and even for drywall sanding (obviously with a high efficiency bag). They typically last me 10 to 12 years, before the motors start to whine to much to be tolerable.
They are relatively cheap. Parts/accessories are easy to find, and the bags are also easily available. Their all plastic construction, makes them relatively light, and surprisingly sturdy. However I noticed that the newer models seem to have pretty flimsy casters, but I guess all companies are cutting corners.

None of these units are designed to be quiet. They are designed to do the quick job, and pick up anything. If you are looking for something quiet for the all around house vacuuming, or even for a more permanent shop vacuum (for picking up tool dust (generated by saws, routers, etc..) then keep looking, and you will need to spend more $$$.