• Mar 30th, 2020 9:40 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
7688 posts
42279 upvotes
Ontario

[Costco] Hot! Hand sanitizer 70% alcohol 1L ($7.49) Live clean

March 2nd Update: This is on backorder. They said it may take up to 3 weeks. (Richmond Location)

Costco has hand sanitizer in stock!

This is a new item and they do carry it now.
(Have their own sku#)

My local Costco sold 1200 hand sanitizer today.

THIS IS THE CHEAPEST DEAL EVER. And it’s Live clean brand.

A regular Purell 1L costs around $16+ taxes.
306905320 wrote: looks like this if anybody is interested. I think is around 7 dollars per one.

Last edited by Thatdealguy on Mar 2nd, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Costco West Lists

Costco 【West】 2020 Clearance items .97
If you have time, please do the RFD Survey. It only takes a minute. More sponsors for them. Link
Thread Summary
Incoming an actually evidence-informed post!

Interesting conversations here. I am an infection control researcher (specifically for health care settings) so I am including some information below to clarify a lot of misinformation being included in this thread. I hope this Q&A is helpful. Don’t hesitate to ask me questions! I won't be commenting in depth on the epidemiology and transmission characteristics of SARS-CoV-2 as it is a continuously evolving situation. No one should claim definitively that we know whether there is asymptomatic/presymptomatic transmission, the incubation periods, and so forth because we still do not know for sure. Suspected reproduction numbers (how many people on average get infected from one case) from the initial outbreak are now much lower. Death rates are also now lower. The more data points we get the more sure we'll be. Nonetheless, that previous post from the biologist appears relatively accurate from what we know so far - it is similar in transmission dynamics to 2003 SARS. It is a serious issue, but we also have good resources to prevent, mitigate, and care for patients.

Below I refer to use of soap and water as hand washing, and use of sanitizer (alcohol-based hand rub: ABHR) as hand rubbing. Hand hygiene is the collective term for cleaning your hands.

Current Ontario standards for hand hygiene in health care settings:
https://www.publichealthontario.ca/-/me ... .pdf?la=en

What is the evidence like in general?
Surprisingly the evidence isn’t great – a lot of industry studies and studies that have poor comparison groups (different excipient formulations – the slight variations in what an ABHR contains aside from its alcohol concentration). So please be understanding that as we learn more this information could change, but at this time this is a reasonable summary of what we know. The evidence here is from health care settings and not general population use. Nonetheless the concepts are the same for its use and types of products that should be selected.

Is soap and water better than ABHR?
It depends. ABHR has consistently demonstrated better reduction of viable microorganisms (bacteria and virus) than soap and water unless hands are visibly soiled or spore forming organisms (e.g., C. difficile) are suspected. Note: hand washing doesn’t kill microorganisms, but rather removes them through the process of lathering and rinsing (see technique below).

I have access to both ABHR or soap and water… which do I use?
Use ABHR unless otherwise indicated: As noted above, unless your hands are visibily soiled or spore forming organisms are suspected, use ABHR. It is less harmful to your hands assuming it contains moisturizers (humectants/emollients).

But what if I haven’t used soap and water for a while?
If your hands feel soiled, use soap and water. Otherwise keep pumping that ABHR.

How do I take care of my hands so they don’t become dry and cracked?
See here for more about hand care, use of lotions: https://www.publichealthontario.ca/-/me ... .pdf?la=en

What if my hands are damaged?
Consult medical advice. In some cases ABHR shouldn’t be used. In some cases soap and water shouldn’t be used. In extreme cases neither should be used.

Do I need antibacterial soap?
No. The mechanism for soap and water is physical removal of microorganisms from lathering and rinsing.

Can I just wash my hands with water?
No. The lather created by soap is incredibly important for removing microorganisms. Also, don't wash your hands in a bucket. It must be clean running water.

What concentration of alcohol is needed?
There is not a good clear answer on this other than probably at least 60%, and not more than 90%.

What kind of alcohol is needed?
Ethanol, n-propanol, isopropanol are all acceptable alcohols.

But it says norovirus needs 70%!
60% is fine. This is based on one very old suspension test study. While some North American standards use suspension tests, the gold standard for health care settings is an experimental hand rub design (EN 1500 standard). There is new evidence and better surrogate viruses that can and have been used with experimental hand rub designs. While these are early studies, there has been demonstrated reduction of ‘calcivirus’ using 62% gel ethanol products that were as effective as 70%+ ethanol rinses. Ultimately, the literature is actually biased towards effectiveness against bacteria. So we do our best with what we know. Conflicting with that recent study is a recent rapid review that found ethanol concentrations less than 80% to be less effective against a variety of non-enveloped viruses (SARS-CoV-2 is an enveloped virus and is more susceptible to alcohol rubs).

But <insert organization> says you need 70%!
Life doesn’t always have all the information you need to make the exact answer – this is the reality of being in research. You will be fine with 60-90%.

How do I wash my hands? How do I rub my hands?
Technique is extremely important regardless of whether you use soap and water!
Key note for ABHR: All surfaces of your hands need to remain WET for at least 15 seconds. If your hands dry too soon, apply more ABHR.
Commonly missed areas are thumbs, tips of fingers, webbing of and between fingers, and back of hands.
Hand rub (video):

Hand rub (poster): https://www.publichealthontario.ca/-/me ... .pdf?la=en
Hand wash (video):

Hand wash (poster): https://www.publichealthontario.ca/-/me ... .pdf?la=en
(P.s., no, you don’t need to rub/wash your wrists unless you are performing surgical hand hygiene, but feel free to do it if you want)

I want to make my own ABHR!
WHO has two formulas that can be used to produce a ‘liquid’ (rinse) variety. This is what is used in low resource settings. You would need gelling agents to make it a gel or foaming agents with an appropriate dispenser for a foam variety. Note, glycerol is a moisturizer.
WHO ABHR: https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_to_ ... uction.pdf

Can I just wear gloves?
No. Studies consistently demonstrate that hands are contaminated with patient organisms even when wearing gloves. You should perform hand hygiene after removing your gloves.

Gel? Rinse? Foam? Which is best?
Rinse are often harder to use because most product put into the hands will slide off onto the ground. Gels and foams are formulations that make it easier to apply the product to your hands. Ultimately, as long as you keep ALL SURFACES of your hands wet for at least 15 seconds, you should be fine. The literature does not have much in terms of apples to apples comparisons to determine if one formulation is better than another.

What about waterless, non-alcohol-based alternatives for hand hygiene?
Currently there is nothing as effective as soap and water or ABHR. Wipes are not a suitable replacement. Wipes are only used as a last ditch effort when hands are soiled and ABHR is available, but no soap and water. In these circumstances hands are wiped, then ABHR is applied.

What are the standards for testing hand rubs and hand washes for routine hand hygiene?
North America uses either ASTM or EN standards. Canada is no different than American standards. Canada generally follows FDA approved products.
Standards is a different term from ‘guidelines/recommendations’. Despite products being validated using the same standards, guidelines/recommendations can have regional variation even within Canada.
EN 1500, ASTM E1174, ASTM E2755, ASTM E2011, ASTM E1838, EN1499, ASTM E2613, and ASTM E2276. There is no information available in English on the Department of China Standard.
ASTM E2011 and ASTM E1838 would be applicable for one study that investigated virucidal effect, but it did not apply any standard or detailed technique. EN1499 standard did not appear in any studies that included a hand wash comparator. Test methods for fungi on fingerpads (ASTM E2613) and bacteria on fingerpads (ASTM E2276) were not included in any study.

How do I dry my hands when I wash with soap and water?
Preferably dab your hands dry with paper towel (don’t rub). Air dryers tend to spread whatever liquid is on your hands all over you and the environment – so if you did a bad job washing your hands you just spread your germs everywhere. Use paper towel to open washroom doors once you have washed your hands, or use your elbows to activate handicap door buttons.

Other random q’s?
Can I spray my hands with 70% isopropyl? Not recommended. Technically yes, but you’d need to spray a lot (at least 3 mL) in order to keep all surfaces of your hands wet and you will still need to rub your hands in order to get the alcohol to contact all the crevices.
Why does it come as gel or foam too? This is NOT because of evaporation. This is for ease of application to ensure you don’t lose product on the floor that should otherwise be contacting your hands.

References:
In addition to evidence cited in: https://www.publichealthontario.ca/-/me ... .pdf?la=en

Reviews:
Non-Alcohol Based Hand Rubs: A Review of Clinical Effectiveness and Guidelines. Ottawa: CADTH; 2017 March. (CADTH rapid response report: summary with critical appraisal).

Hand antisepsis procedures: a review of guidelines. Ottawa: CADTH; 2017 Mar. (CADTH rapid response report: summary with critical appraisal).

Kampf G. Efficacy of ethanol against viruses in hand disinfection. Journal of Hospital Infection. 2018 Apr 1;98(4):331-8.

Primary Articles:

Appelgrein C, Hosgood G, Dunn AL, Schaaf O. Ozonated water is inferior to propanol-based hand rubs for disinfecting hands. Journal of Hospital Infection. 2016 Apr 1;92(4):340-3.

Bellissimo-Rodrigues F, Soule H, Gayet-Ageron A, Martin Y, Pittet D. Should alcohol-based handrub use be customized to healthcare workers’ hand size?. infection control & hospital epidemiology. 2016 Feb;37(2):219-21.

Best EL, Parnell P, Wilcox MH. Microbiological comparison of hand-drying methods: the potential for contamination of the environment, user, and bystander. Journal of Hospital Infection. 2014 Dec 1;88(4):199-206.

Best EL, Redway K. Comparison of different hand-drying methods: the potential for airborne microbe dispersal and contamination. Journal of Hospital Infection. 2015 Mar 1;89(3):215-7.

Chow A, Arah OA, Chan SP, Poh BF, Krishnan P, Ng WK, Choudhury S, Chan J, Ang B. Alcohol handrubbing and chlorhexidine handwashing protocols for routine hospital practice: a randomized clinical trial of protocol efficacy and time effectiveness. American journal of infection control. 2012 Nov 1;40(9):800-5.

Edmonds SL, Macinga DR, Mays-Suko P, Duley C, Rutter J, Jarvis WR, Arbogast JW. Comparative efficacy of commercially available alcohol-based hand rubs and World Health Organization-recommended hand rubs: formulation matters. American journal of infection control. 2012 Aug 1;40(6):521-5.

Herruzo R, Yela R, Vizcaino MJ. Lasting hand self-disinfection: A backup for hospital hand hygiene?. American journal of infection control. 2015 Jul 1;43(7):697-701.

Ho HJ, Poh BF, Choudhury S, Krishnan P, Ang B, Chow A. Alcohol handrubbing and chlorhexidine handwashing are equally effective in removing methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from health care workers' hands: a randomized controlled trial. American journal of infection control. 2015 Nov 1;43(11):1246-8.

Kampf G, Ruselack S, Eggerstedt S, Nowak N, Bashir M. Less and less–influence of volume on hand coverage and bactericidal efficacy in hand disinfection. BMC infectious diseases. 2013 Dec;13(1):472.

Li X, Xu CJ, Zhao SJ. Experimental study on disinfection effect of different dose of rapid hand disinfectant. International Journal of Nursing Sciences. 2014 Jun 1;1(2):212-4.

López-Gigosos RM, Mariscal-López E, Gutierrez-Bedmar M, García-Rodriguez A, Mariscal A. Evaluation of antimicrobial persistent activity of alcohol-based hand antiseptics against bacterial contamination. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases. 2017 Jul 1;36(7):1197-203.

Macinga DR, Edmonds SL, Campbell E, Shumaker DJ, Arbogast JW. Efficacy of novel alcohol-based hand rub products at typical in-use volumes. Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology. 2013 Mar;34(3):299-301.

Pires D, Bellissimo-Rodrigues F, Soule H, Gayet-Ageron A, Pittet D. Revisiting the WHO “how to handrub” hand hygiene technique: fingertips first?. infection control & hospital epidemiology. 2017 Feb;38(2):230-3.

Pires D, Soule H, Bellissimo-Rodrigues F, Gayet-Ageron A, Pittet D. Hand hygiene with alcohol-based hand rub: how long is long enough?. infection control & hospital epidemiology. 2017 May;38(5):547-52.

Reilly JS, Price L, Lang S, Robertson C, Cheater F, Skinner K, Chow A. A pragmatic randomized controlled trial of 6-step vs 3-step hand hygiene technique in acute hospital care in the United Kingdom. infection control & hospital epidemiology. 2016 Jun;37(6):661-6.

Reena Rajkumari B. Evaluation of the efficacy of six different hand sanitizers commonly available on the Indian market. Int J Pharm Biol Sci. 2015;6:984-1.

Salmon S, Truong AT, Nguyen VH, Pittet D, McLaws ML. Health care workers' hand contamination levels and antibacterial efficacy of different hand hygiene methods used in a Vietnamese hospital. American journal of infection control. 2014 Feb 1;42(2):178-81.

Tschudin-Sutter S, Rotter ML, Frei R, Nogarth D, Häusermann P, Stranden A, Pittet D, Widmer AF. Simplifying the WHO ‘how to hand rub’ technique: three steps are as effective as six—results from an experimental randomized crossover trial. Clinical Microbiology and Infection. 2017 Jun 1;23(6):409-e1.

Tuladhar E, Hazeleger WC, Koopmans M, Zwietering MH, Duizer E, Beumer RR. Reducing viral contamination from finger pads: handwashing is more effective than alcohol-based hand disinfectants. Journal of Hospital Infection. 2015 Jul 1;90(3):226-34.

Wilkinson MA, Ormandy K, Bradley CR, Fraise AP, Hines J. Dose considerations for alcohol-based hand rubs. Journal of Hospital Infection. 2017 Feb 1;95(2):175-82.

Wilkinson MA, Ormandy K, Bradley CR, Hines J. Comparison of the efficacy and drying times of liquid, gel and foam formats of alcohol-based hand rubs. Journal of Hospital Infection. 2018 Apr 1;98(4):359-64.

Zingg W, Haidegger T, Pittet D. Hand coverage by alcohol-based handrub varies: volume and hand size matter. American journal of infection control. 2016 Dec 1;44(12):1689-91.
332 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1385 posts
308 upvotes
Would you know the item number?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2055 posts
425 upvotes
What section of the store? Pharmacy area?
Sep 21, 2007
345 posts
106 upvotes
Calgary
Genblue wrote: Would you know the item number?
Item number 1421961 - ONE STEP 1L
Sep 21, 2007
345 posts
106 upvotes
Calgary
drunkgoat wrote: What section of the store? Pharmacy area?
Yes in pharmacy area. It's along the centre aisle so they are going fast. (Calgary South store had some around noon today.)
Sep 8, 2016
109 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
What alcohol % is this? 70% is usually what is effective
Dec 7, 2015
22 posts
27 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
looks like this if anybody is interested. I think is around 7 dollars per one.

Anyone else found masks in Calgary Costco? I asked the pharmacy and they told me they never carried any masks
Images
  • 1B55C0A2-E37E-4856-ACE7-C6C851C37D06.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5141 posts
845 upvotes
Toronto
306905320 wrote: looks like this if anybody is interested. I think is around 7 dollars per one.
Cant tell what percentage is alcohol
Dec 7, 2015
22 posts
27 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
glover78 wrote: Cant tell what percentage is alcohol

is 70%. is on the back of the bottle.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1624 posts
629 upvotes
It's not even listed on the official site.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2017
1419 posts
3244 upvotes
Surely this will save your life.
Sep 21, 2007
345 posts
106 upvotes
Calgary
Thatdealguy wrote: one step not live clean?
One Step Live Clean Hand Sanitizer
Contains Aloe
With Plant Based Alcohol
Kills 99.9% of germs without water
98% plant and naturally derived ingredients
1L / 33.8 US fl. oz.

70% ethyl alcohol

onestepsani.com

Expiration 2025 FE
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1014 posts
822 upvotes
This was perfect timing for me when I dropped by Costco this morning! Bought a bottle for my trip tomorrow to Japan. Wish me luck! 🤞🤞🤞
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5141 posts
845 upvotes
Toronto
Much better deal than the next most "reasonable" price of Canadian Tire 236mL Purell for $6.99